Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best box to upgrade to

Title
    Thanks
    I'm thinking £250 region really. Maybe that is something that I could contribute to the community when I get up and running with all this. Im sure that a manual would help drive more people into the OS digital box world.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    The Uno is a newer box and more powerful, it also has a removable tuner card so you can use either a DVB-S ( satellite ) DVB-C ( cable ) or DVB-T ( terrestrial ) tuner in the box...
    Allow me a small correction: there are no separate DVB-T and DVB-C tuners; there's only an hybrid DVB-C/T tuner available for the UNO (the same as for the Ultimo).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (21-12-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    For a £250 budget I'd look at the following: -

Xtrend ET5000
    Xtrend ET6000
    VU+ Solo
    VU+ Uno
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Markymark (21-12-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Right I think I've mad emy decision and will go with the UNO.

Sorry for these silly noob questions, however from doing loads of reading around I come over certain terms etc. Just want to get an understanding of it all (like to have some knowledge to play with when I get my box).

Are Picons basically the channel logos? Do you just put these on a USB pen and FTP them over to the box? I'm assuming there are Picons for most tv channels on each of the sats?

Is the media server part all standard as part of the VIX image? I'm assuming I can use this to access tv from my box remotely on my PS3? I know that accepts media servers.

Is a bouquet a list of tv channels on each sat? I've seen this mentioned - however not got my head around this much at all. Can I just go somewhere to download these to keep the box up to date?

I know I mentioned something like series link - however from reading a round I haven't found a plug in that does it. Is this because it's a standard feature of the VIX image? On PVR - can I install a drive internally in the box myself or do they have to be internal?

Is there some facility in the VIX image or mods that would allow BISS keys to be entered?

Finally cccam. Ive seen the links to install this and think I have an understanding of what I have to copy over and where. Is it really that simple to install? I'm assuming I customise the cccam.cfg file to tell it what to do? Does cc cam also enable the built in card reader to read cards of many different encryption methods - without the need to buy cams?

Sorry for all the questions, however hopefully it does show I have been reading around and trying to learn. Don't want to just be a leach who saps information with no knowledge of where its going.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
    Are Picons basically the channel logos? Do you just put these on a USB pen and FTP them over to the box? I'm assuming there are Picons for most tv channels on each of the sats?
    Yes pretty much, although there is no need to transfer them from a USB pen to the Box as it is actually recommended they stay on the USB otherwise every time you change a channel the box will look for them and if there on a HDD that HDD will have to spin up every single time the channel is changes. also most picon sets are updated very frequently.

Is the media server part all standard as part of the VIX image? I'm assuming I can use this to access tv from my box remotely on my PS3? I know that accepts media servers.
    Ok you have to remember that these boxes and i mean all enigma based receivers here, are primarily satellite receivers, any media player functions should be considered as a total bonus. That said you can stream live shows or recorded content from the box to a networked PC or nas drive etc, as for the PS3 i'm not sure the PS3 can read the .TS files the box produces when programs are recorded from the box, it will however play any avi file etc you have stored on the box as this is what i do with my XBOX360.

Is a bouquet a list of tv channels on each sat? I've seen this mentioned - however not got my head around this much at all. Can I just go somewhere to download these to keep the box up to date?
    yes a bouquet is pretty much a channel list that has been made using a editor such as DBE - DreamboxEdit. there are literally hundreds hosted on this site in the bouquet section and most are updated very frequently.

Is there some facility in the VIX image or mods that would allow BISS keys to be entered?
    well that is a subject we can not really get into due to it's legal ramifications but you can use softcams etc as on any linux based satellite receiver.

Finally cccam. Ive seen the links to install this and think I have an understanding of what I have to copy over and where. Is it really that simple to install? I'm assuming I customise the cccam.cfg file to tell it what to do? Does cc cam also enable the built in card reader to read cards of many different encryption methods - without the need to buy cams?
    The softcam it self is very easy to install yes, you then have to configure it to your needs, now we will help you setup any card you own to use on a softcam but we can not and will not get into areas such as cardsharing for legal reasons.

Sorry for all the questions, however hopefully it does show I have been reading around and trying to learn. Don't want to just be a leach who saps information with no knowledge of where its going.
    There is nothing at all wrong with asking questions, this is after all how we learn.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Markymark (21-12-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. So basically download Picons on to the USB drive, mount it and job is done. Just remember to update it every so often. Or has the sat world got some auto update of this feature?

So cccam can make the box read my Via Access cards and Connax cards, without the need of actually buying individual cams? I appreciate the fact that you said the community would help provide the info to set this up, just like I appreciate all the help I have had. Its an excellent community and very welcoming and knowledgable.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    theres a few tutorials in my signature below that will help you out on a few of your questions as it shows you exactly what you need to do
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

Markymark (21-12-11)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The Picons are updated regulary but you may have to amend channel references for some of them as they may not match exactly the one in your bouquet.

Sorry not read the rest of your thread as its 2 pages long but you can get pre populated bouquets for all the major sats. The best one for Sky is Silverfoxes who is a mod on here and link in my signature. There are also others in the picon and settings sub forums.

IIRC your cards will work fine but you will need a software cam such as Cccam or Oscam.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Markymark (21-12-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Thanks for that. So basically download Picons on to the USB drive, mount it and job is done. Just remember to update it every so often. Or has the sat world got some auto update of this feature?
    Yes thats pretty much it, there are no auto updaters though but it's a very easy and quick job to do.

So cccam can make the box read my Via Access cards and Connax cards, without the need of actually buying individual cams? I appreciate the fact that you said the community would help provide the info to set this up, just like I appreciate all the help I have had. Its an excellent community and very welcoming and knowledgable.
    Well CCcam is just one of considerable list of softcam emulators available, some work better than others and some support cards that others do not. i cant really go into too much detail as to be honest it's not really my area, i'm a old fashioned hardware CAM module bloke my self, but we have plenty of members who can and will help where possible as long as the questions stay within the scope of the site rules.

Most importantly don't forget to have fun with what ever receiver you get. this is after all a hobby for most of us and there is no point getting your blood pressure up when things go wrong as they no doubt will LOL.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Markymark (21-12-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Lol I know it sounds such good fun and I can tell that playing with the box is all part of the excitement. I love some of the you tube videos knocking about - those osd look amazing and with Picons etc.

Are there any videos / tutorials knocking about for setting up VIX for the first time? Just so I know what to press to get the motor working and finding some channels on the different sats.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Afraid no video tutorial but it really is pretty straight forward to flash and set up the box. If you buy the DUO (Don't forget to check the sponsor out and the forum discount) you stick your USB in and switch off and on and the box does the rest.

As for the motor, thats all easy peasy, upto 2 weeks ago I had no motor experience and still don't but I got the motor set up on a ET%K running vix image in under 5 minutes.

You are doing the right thing and prep leads to perfect performance but some times you got to just do it.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12