Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimo vs duo??

ekkostar
    Quote Originally Posted by sherry View Post
    Hi Does anyone know the difference between the two boxes and is the difference worth the extra money?

I think there is an extra tuner but what benefit does that have?
    The Duo is an excellent box and still is. If you have no need for further tuners nor plugin tuners then you really do not need to look that much further.

The Ultimo is however a fantastic machine and very flexible but lets be honest a lot of people have and are still pefectly ok with a single tuner machine. In that respect the Duo is still way ahead of the pack by having two.

The hardware on the Ultimo is certainly impressive and the faster processor is great but the Duo is no slouch by any means.

On the physical side of it, I would actually say that the Duo is the better built machine out of the two. The quality of the casing and build overall for example appears to be marginally better than the Ultimo.

You also have the remotes. Ultimo's remote looks fantastic. This of course is a personal preference but personally I find the Duo's remote more comfortable.

The Ultimo is of course a beautiful looking machine. The OLED VFD is stunning and the touch sensitive buttons on the front panel give it some class.

Of the two the Ultimo is the better model but the $million question is, is it worth all that much extra ? Once again this is personal preference as the Duo is a high end receiver and in itself miles ahead of anything else on the market.

I think when you get into comparing machines and specs then you can get drawn into all sorts of equations and lose sight of what it is you are trying to achieve. When it comes to Linux receivers then it can become a blur. The Xtrends/Clarkes are also very capable machines.

If you are going for a Linux machine then I would certainly say build quality should be one of your key concerns. All these high end receivers are in actual fact simply Linux PC's converted into set top boxes and you really have to consider things like PSU's, cooling and quality of components.

Enthusiasts do consider these elements seriously as they tend to use their machines extensively and for extended periods of time, which is where quality eventually tells.

At the end of the day I would say out of the Uno or Duo, at current prices I would certainly go for the Duo. Out of the Duo and the Ultimo, it's a price thing and how flush you're feeling. You won't go wrong with either.

For the record I have both Duo and Ultimo.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ekkostar; 25-12-11 at 17:45.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ekkostar For This Useful Post:

bassethound (25-12-11),Blu-ray (27-12-11),sherry (28-12-11),Stanman (25-12-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    first you need a lcd picon set, 2nd you need to turn it on in SETUP -- DISPLAY, you should the default vix picon is display until you get a lcd pcion set
    The only picon i've seen with the vix image, is when selecting a channel from the bouquet it shows the Virtuosso Image Xtreme picon, but that is all, once you pic a channel no picons are displayed.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    On the physical side of it, I would actually say that the Duo is the better built machine out of the two. The quality of the casing and build overall for example appears to be marginally better than the Ultimo.
    I disagree with that statement, the casing is of the same quality as the Duo, just that the Ultimo has a piano black shiny finish, some users would say that it cheapens the look, others would love it. Personally at first I wasn't a great lover of the shiny finish, since using for a few days I love it
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    I think they look great and would look real nice amongst anyones A/V setup and far better than duo looked (for me anyway) really nice pieca kit
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    ..... just that the Ultimo has a piano black shiny finish, some users would say that it cheapens the look....
    Indeed I do; I hate those shiny dust and fingerprint magnets.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    I hate those shiny dust and fingerprint magnets.
    +1 however i'd say the duo was just as bad as a dust magnet.

Looks wise the Ultimo is 1000% better than the ugly ducklin (duo).

It could still have done with being more curved though imo (but I rather have something that works, than a box that looks pretty) lol

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    Evo the oled picons will start working in the next update. There was a bug which andy found and fixed so ull be able to use them soon and tey do look sweeet on the display
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    Evo the oled picons will start working in the next update. There was a bug which andy found and fixed so ull be able to use them soon and tey do look sweeet on the display
    You mean I wasted xmas day trying to get them working for nothing ???? lol

Ok I will look forward to it (unless there is a way I can edit the skin (or whatever other file) to get it working a bit sooner ??

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ev0 View Post
    You mean I wasted xmas day trying to get them working for nothing ???? lol
    Hmmm, I don't think so: I bet you learned a lot about your box. And as we don't use those OLED-Picons, you set us on the trail of a bug (since we found them to be working apparently several lines have got lost).........

Ok I will look forward to it (unless there is a way I can edit the skin (or whatever other file) to get it working a bit sooner ??
    Yes, you can.
    Go to the file "skin_display_picon.xml" located at "/usr/share/enigma2", open it with a suitable editor (e.g. PSPad, set to "Linux") and add the following lines to "InfoBarSummary":

Code:
        <widget source="session.CurrentService" render="LcdPicon" position="179,17" size="76,45" >
          <convert type="ServiceName">Reference</convert>
        </widget>
    If you then restart Enigma you will see your much wanted OLED-Picons (if they are there and at the right location that is......).
    Keep us posted.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I don't think so: I bet you learned a lot about your box. And as we don't use those OLED-Picons, you set us on the trail of a bug (since we found them to be working apparently several lines have got lost).........

Yes, you can.
    Go to the file "skin_display_picon.xml" located at "/usr/share/enigma2", open it with a suitable editor (e.g. PSPad, set to "Linux") and add the following lines to "InfoBarSummary":

Code:
        <widget source="session.CurrentService" render="LcdPicon" position="179,17" size="76,45" >
          <convert type="ServiceName">Reference</convert>
        </widget>
    If you then restart Enigma you will see your much wanted OLED-Picons (if they are there and at the right location that is......).
    Keep us posted.
    Glad to be of service.

Cheers Rob, will reflash my box and give it a go

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Ok so the VIX OLED-Picon is on the display now

But so far I haven't got it using any of the picons you posted up the other day.

I have tried all combinations that I previously tried and it doesn't seem to work.

Any more clues on where to put the lcd_picon or \lcd_picon folder ?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I have the folder in flash with the very same picons I uploaded here.
    and works just fine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Ev0 (27-12-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    I have the folder in flash with the very same picons I uploaded here.
    and works just fine
    Sorted all working fine now

The problem was that inside the folder you posted the other day, there was another folder "small_lcd1" and all the picons were inside there.

Moved them all into the main "lcd_picon" folder and there working fine now

Thanks again.

Oh btw just for info, the VTI picon's don't work with VIX image (just give black space where the picon should be)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Ok just for info, I have got the vti oled / lcd picon's working with vix image.

There picons are quite large compared to the sample vix ones, therefore needed some editing doing in the skin_display_picon.xml

Looks pretty sweet tbh

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Ok just for info, I have got the vti oled / lcd picon's working with vix image.

There picons are quite large compared to the sample vix ones, therefore needed some editing doing in the skin_display_picon.xml

Looks pretty sweet tbh
    Videooooooooo

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast