Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brands dispute: Dream Multimedia has taken action against VU + Duo

digidude
    a lot of it is probably down to the way the images of other receivers are blatantly ripped from dreambox images, and so much dreambox references are there, its things like this that spoil an image for me

for example, crash your Vu+ receiver so that it greenscreens, and it tells you that your dreambox has crashed and to send the crashlog to dreammultimedia. if you have autosubmit enabled, then DMM will be receiving allof these logs, detailing your system, showing that its not a DMM product, but is using ripped DMM images

The image i used to work on, which was PLi based, had been looked over numerous times, in fine detail, and its the ONLY image i have ever sen that doesnt refer to the receiver as 'your linuxbox', but instead, by its actual name, every reference to any receiver other than the one it was running on was removed or edited out, the green screen was rewritten, with a little of my twisted humour added, just for fun

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digidude For This Useful Post:

terrorman (25-05-11),witchy (16-05-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    funny u say that digi i been working on a new autocrash submit that green screens vix and sends a crash log to me

just i cant get my box to crash to test it
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (19-05-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    funny u say that digi i been working on a new autocrash submit that green screens vix and sends a crash log to me

just i cant get my box to crash to test it
    Download a plugin u knw will crash the box
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digidude View Post
    , every reference to any receiver other than the one it was running on was removed or edited out, the green screen was rewritten, with a little of my twisted humour added, just for fun
    Now I want to make my TM800 crash just to see what you've written, lol

But the thing is too stable these days, any idea how I can guarantee a green screen?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Just doing a search, and there are loads of trademarks for enigma, and even some enigma II trademarks... So, I can't really see this going far...
    That's no problem: DM's registration only applies to the name Enigme in use in the same branch.
    Jewellery/bread/ice-cream/whatever can all use that name, as far as DM is concerned.

In the meantime:
    1- It took VU+ only a couple of days to remove all "forbidden" naming from their devices (look at the last version of their image: 5.8 f): no harm done;
    2- DM provided their competitors a lot of free publicity by acting like this;
    3- DM now clearly shows to be afraid for their competitors. And mind you: those competitors only stepped into a wide gap in the market created by Mr. DM himself! Whereas DM was the only supplier in the E1-era, now the situation has changed dramatically. And of course: every VU+ or ET-receiver sold, is a DM not sold!

All in all: DM has not done any harm to any competitor by going to court. And maybe even the opposite is the case.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

bassethound (19-05-11),FuManchu (25-05-11),Larry-G (19-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VUplus NL View Post
    That's no problem: DM's registration only applies to the name Enigme in use in the same branch.
    Jewellery/bread/ice-cream/whatever can all use that name, as far as DM is concerned.

In the meantime:
    1- It took VU+ only a couple of days to remove all "forbidden" naming from their devices (look at the last version of their image: 5.8 f): no harm done;
    2- DM provided their competitors a lot of free publicity by acting like this;
    3- DM now clearly shows to be afraid for their competitors. And mind you: those competitors only stepped into a wide gap in the market created by Mr. DM himself! Whereas DM was the only supplier in the E1-era, now the situation has changed dramatically. And of course: every VU+ or ET-receiver sold, is a DM not sold!

All in all: DM has not done any harm to any competitor by going to court. And maybe even the opposite is the case.
    yes i absolutely agree, DM has only harmed them selves with this action and handed a massive amount of free advertisement and publicity to its rivals.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

digidude
    Quote Originally Posted by witchy View Post
    Now I want to make my TM800 crash just to see what you've written, lol

But the thing is too stable these days, any idea how I can guarantee a green screen?
    It says something along the lines of (only on DW images)

'Your TM800HD has run into a problem (AGAIN) and will attempt to email this crash report to crashlog at tm800hd.co.uk (!!changed on purpose so bots dont find it lol) but that wont work either

it then lists all the usual junk, and goes on to say

....as a last resort ill try dumping a bit of code, and hop this doesnt crash.

But you just know im going to crash and completley restart, or not do anything at all, so go and make a cuppa, and if im still green when you get back, be a sweetie and turn me off and back on will ya ;-)'

i changed it a few times, in each image but that was the general jist of it lol

Title
    Thanks
    dreambox for over 2 years and no longer is a dream, now is a company of nightmares, welcome NightmaresBox

perhaps now is the time to think about a new OS Free Linux using all the latest technology, perhaps now you wake up the beast in us all, enigma2 was nice, but what comes after is better, start working now.

Always free OpenEmbedded
    VU+ Duo | USB DVB-T Internal | USB CardReader + CF 4GB Internal | USB Wifi Internal | HDD 1TB Internal | 2 Card | 2 Motor + 19.2E
    VU+ Solo | USB DVB-T External | USB Wifi External | HDD 250TB External | 19.2E
    DM8000 | 3 DVB-S + 1 DVB-T Internal | 2 DVB-C NOT USED | HDD 1.5TB Internal | DVDR Internal | CF 4GB Internal | 30.0W
    DM800 | HDD 500GB Internal
    Cuberevo 250HD
    AZBox Elite HD
    AZBox Premium HD

Title
    Thanks
    Whatever happened with this injunction, did they go to court with Vu+ or?
    Not native english speaker, bare with me...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Opensource was supposed to set us all free all it's done is keep the courts busy as with Google, Samsung, Apple, Dream Multimedia and Vu to name but a few quite funny when you think about it
    Triax TD110 1.1m Solid Satellite Dish, Inverto black ultra
    Moteck SG2100 Motor
    VU+ Uno

Fortec Star 90cm dish, Inverto black ultra
    Technomate 2600 super motor
    Gigablue UE

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartmy View Post
    Whatever happened with this injunction, did they go to court with Vu+ or?
    well the name Enigma 2 is now copyrighted to dream multimedia so no one other manufacturer is allowed to advertise or use the enigma 2 brand name, DMM have now also decided that their next installment lets call it enigma 3 for arguments sake is going to be closed off so no one else can use it for development purposes. as for any thing else i'm not sure, i think the case is still ongoing.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I would have thought everyone just forked off a GPL2 version, rebranded it and worked on that instead and leave DMM to its destiny?

Reason I am asking is if im gonna go the trouble to fix the swedish translation in enigma2 who am i contributing to? What branch of enigma2 is VIX using for example?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by portbhoy View Post
    Opensource was supposed to set us all free all it's done is keep the courts busy as with Google, Samsung, Apple, Dream Multimedia and Vu to name but a few quite funny when you think about it
    I dont see why you comparing Google, Samsung and Apple with this case. Completly different subject, thoose are not about opensource - closest thing is software patents (which btw sucks big time).

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I would have thought everyone just forked off a GPL2 version, re-branded it and worked on that instead and leave DMM to its destiny?
    What branch of enigma2 is VIX using for example?
    That is exactly what has been done. This leaves Dream with a very small number of contributors, which indeed shows in the lack of (serious) development.
    As for ViX: as you know this is PLi-based. And PLi forked Enigma2 ages ago, going their own development route (and leaving Dream and Dream based images) far behind.

Reason I am asking is if I'm gonna go the trouble to fix the Swedish translation in enigma2 who am I contributing to?
    Sorry, I fail to see how you could get into trouble with that. You are not distributing any software, are you?
    You only contribute to an isolated file within open source software. So please: keep on he good work!

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Sorry, I fail to see how you could get into trouble with that. You are not distributing any software, are you?
    You only contribute to an isolated file within open source software. So please: keep on he good work!
    I expressed myself wrong, what I meant to say was i dont want my contribution to end up helping Dream Multimedia. But if they run closed source now they cant use our translations, they would need to GPL there code then - right ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12