Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi

gazza341

hi

just wanted to say hi.
    i have just ordered my vu+ duo and awaiting delivery, so i'm doing a lot of research and looking for a stable image, following a bad experience with a DM800hd clone - lots of flashing with patched images - finally had enough and come to my senses.

turns out it's the tuner that has given up - it's had very little use until recently as it has never been that stable, but now i've come to depend on it as my son has got into WWE over-night and is doing my head in while my DM800 is out of action.

i've told the missus it's a right-off as the tuners cost so much - sounds convincing yeh?

i did eventually want a STB with 2 tuners anyway, PVR, HD, etc etc and think that although i paid well under the asking price of a DM800 original, i am now serious enough to pay a reasonable amount for a decent receiver.

enough about my experience though - i'm off to browse the threads.

BTW, thanks for allowing me to register with this forum

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    hey gazza welcome to the forums mate

good choice in vu duo, fantastic box, amazing support here and your at the best place with the best image

i was tempted by getting a clone first time round and then decided against it to get a vu duo and the correct choice i made, will never be looking back.

any help needed just give a shout and anyone and everyone will try and help lol
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Gazza

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

gazza341
    thanks punisher and stanman.

looking back i wish i had just gone for an original.
    i was replacing a humax 5400, so already had the dish and diseq positioner. the hummy gave me many years of service, but when the power supply went i couldn't resist the chance to replace with a DM - obviously the difference in price won the day when choosing a clone over an original. the choice of receiver was just due to the popularity and support, but given my experience of the DM and a chance to flash it a billion times (as it was a poor clone), i now feel confident with my choice of the VU+ duo, just wish i'd found this forum before buying as i would have most certainly bought from the sponsor.

i have already answered many of my own questions browsing this forum - flashing by usb and installing the hard drive.
    no doubt i will have many more questions when my STB arrives
    cheers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yeh i mean even recently the guys here convinced me to avoid clones cuz not long a go i wanted a clone lol dont know why. but the guys here are amazing, very knowledgable and helpful. flashing the duo is a breeze. adding bouqets is just as easy and with the new vix 2 its by far the easiest and the most professional image ive come accross. so you shouldnt have any issues at all. any issues found have been posted on here and for those that could be resolved have been and you will find those posts in the forum, so if you get stuck browse around use the search button or just ask and we'll help
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    D I S C L A I M E R

gazza341
    i'm looking forward to getting mine even more now, as when i ordered it last night i was not even aware of the VIX image.
    just narrowing down the choice of hard drive now - i think a 1tb is sufficient for now.
    i know the tut advises to install the hard drive when first setting up, but i take it it is no big deal installing one at a later date?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Gazza, If you can I would cancel the VU and get the Clark Tech instead especially now that VIX is going to be ported across to that box.

Have a look at the sponsor, he might be able to do you a very good deal.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    no its not a problem installing it later, i installed mine later, and then just made sure i mounted it correctly in the vix device manager and wallah all done most will tell you to use the hdd for recordings, and use usb for epg data and picons as it keeps the flash memory clean
    D I S C L A I M E R

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

gazza341
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Gazza, If you can I would cancel the VU and get the Clark Tech instead especially now that VIX is going to be ported across to that box.

Have a look at the sponsor, he might be able to do you a very good deal.
    is the clark tech a better box then - i haven't heard much mention of that particular one compared with other brands

gazza341
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    no its not a problem installing it later, i installed mine later, and then just made sure i mounted it correctly in the vix device manager and wallah all done most will tell you to use the hdd for recordings, and use usb for epg data and picons as it keeps the flash memory clean
    ok. thanks for the advice punisher. EPG, that was one thing i was not up to speed with on the DM800 - is it possible to get a listing similar to that of sky+?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yeh, if you have a look at silverfoxes bouqet settings, he has them numbered to the way sly uk is, links below

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ngs-and-Picons

and

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...d-Picons/page2

the first link includes HD and SD channels as well as Freeview channels, and the 2nd just HD and SD. check out both topics and read up and just pick the one you want.
    D I S C L A I M E R

15. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher For This Useful Post:

gazza341
    that's BRILLIANT - thanks so much for your replies punisher.
    i just have the dilemma of the mentioned clark tech box now. i am not on an unlimited budget and splashing out for the vu+duo is more than i had planned in the first place - being forced by the failing DM800 clone - is it worth stumping up the extra do you know?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    to the forum mate

the duo and et are pretty much the same with the et having more highter cpu ram and memory
    also having PIP and lnb out ports

so its a case of do u want to spend the extra

if so go for a et if not th eduo will do u just fine

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

18. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

gazza341
    yeh, thats pretty much the answer i was looking for. i am can spend the extra (just), but i still have the hard drive to shell out for. perhaps the clark tech equivalent next time it comes round to renewing my equipment time (seems to be more frequent these days), but i'm sure the vu+duo will be fine for now.
    i need to educate the missus of the benefits of this kind of receiver first, then splash out more should i require a better system - it's hard enough justifying the cost of the vu to her.
    thanks for all the replies, i will update as i go along and hopefully help some others along the way

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeh i mean i cant justify spending extra to get clark tech because the vu duo is working perfect and does everything i need it to and more. Im still learning too i mean i just got the duo setup so i can stream onto any compiter on my home network and now to my iphone at home and away from home. Got my xbox streaming recordings etc so im still learning but maybe next time ill go for ct
    D I S C L A I M E R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast