Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Virgin Media starts doubling UK broadband speeds

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts

Virgin Media starts doubling UK broadband speeds

Virgin Media has today started doubling the cable broadband speeds of its subscribers, as the firm attempts to solidify its position as "the fastest broadband provider in the UK".

The cable operator announced in January that its 4m customers would have their speeds doubled at no extra cost in a network upgrade programme funded by a £110m cash injection using the "remaining proceeds" from its £339m sale of the 50% stake in pay-TV operator UKTV last year.

Over the next 18 months, subscribers to Virgin Media's current 10Mbps, 20Mbps, 30Mbps and 50Mbps services will see their speeds "at least doubled", while the company's 100Mbps package will increase to a market-leading 120Mbps.

By mid-2013, the network upgrade will have rolled out across Virgin Media's entire footprint of nearly 13 million homes in Britain.

Virgin has now started upgrading the first batch of 1.5 million homes as part of the "double speeds" programme. Over March and April, the following areas will be upgraded: Newcastle, Tilbury, Southend, Ely, Melton, Andover, Poplar, Dover, Ashford, Rawtenstall, Belfast, Solihull, Maidstone, Castlecary, Grimsby, Ipswich, St Mellons, Flitwick, Preston, Dundee, Glenrothes, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Cambridge, Cosham, Hemel Hempstead, Mansfield, Oldham and Bedford.

Customers will have their speeds doubled automatically as the rollout reaches their area, and they can check when they will be upgraded by visiting the 'double speed' section of Virgin Media's website.

Virgin Media also said that when the 120Mbps service rolls out, subscribers will also see a "price drop" to the high-end package.

"Virgin Media has driven broadband development in the UK and we're delighted to be boosting our customers' broadband speeds once again," said Jon James, the executive director of broadband at Virgin Media.

"Following our Double Speeds programme, all of our customers will be 'superfast' as standard and ready to access a new breed of high bandwidth entertainment services.

"By continuing to give our customers faster speeds and greater value services, we're committed to providing our customers the best broadband in the UK."

As with most internet service providers, Virgin Media operates traffic management across its network to manage the network capacity and quality at peak times.

The company said that it will introduce new peak time allowances for customers as part of the speed-doubling programme, and it will be trialling a "variety of different approaches" to traffic management over the coming months to make the system "more intelligent and flexible".
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Thanks
    Belfast march / april sweet we usually get everything last

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    My area is sometime in july
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    They cant even provide me with a stable 50mb line, so dont hold much hope for the 100mb line.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    120 coming woot woot :-D
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    120 coming woot woot :-D
    +1 can't bloody wait

Title
    Thanks
    Its the capping thats the problem not the speed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fermec For This Useful Post:

Maxwell (12-03-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fermec View Post
    Its the capping thats the problem not the speed.
    Well said and I for one am getting well sick of it, In our house we have 3 PS3, an Xbox as well as 3 PC's so at any one time there can be at least 2 video streams going plus online gaming (teenage lads and their mates) and I am forever finding that the BB is running slow because its been capped, I pay for my download speed and it should be provided all the time

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    i just got doubled today

i called up CS to upgrade my telephone to L Package from M

and i happened to ask why am i paying £18.50 for 30Meg when your advertising 60Meg for £18.50

the lady said that the new double speed price 60Megs is now £18.50 and 30Meg is £14.50

so isaid well thats not fair so she said well what i can do as your area is already able to get 100Meg is upgrade you to 60Meg Today and that way you wont have to wait for it to be done

So anyone that has an area enabled can upgrade today

30Meg to 60Meg
    60~Meg to 100Meg
    100Meg to 120Meg

Just call up the cancelation line make sure you spe\k to a UK Person

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

bassethound (03-04-12),Sicilian (03-04-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Nice 1
    Im just sick to death of them capping my speeds though, my son was downloading a full game for his PS3 from PS network at 8.30pm on Sat night and by 9pm they capped the speed and his download was then 990KB/s so it didnt finish the download till about 1.30 am

Title
    Thanks
    I got mine today in Belfast so belfasters check your VM Line lol

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Best to do heavy download out of peak hours. Weekend hours finish at midnight and are effective for most of the day. Good thing that the 5 hour block has now gone and you go back to full speed at midnight.
    Code:
    http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=389465&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1029&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable#med
    I really hate school holidays internet experience. The kids use youtube a lot and you will be surprised how much bandwith it takes.