Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Twin tuner?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Twin tuner?

Hi all, my first post so please be kind.
    After my research I've decided to purchase a vu+ solo 2. However I would appreciate some clarification on the term twin tuner! The vu+ solo 2 states that it has a twin tuner, does this mean its a single receiver requiring one input feed that has the capability of watching one channel whilst recording another? Or is it two separate receivers that both require a separate input from the satellite? Also, could any one please confirm how many channels it's possible to record whilst watching another channel? Is it one recording whilst watching another and/or recording two at the same time? Or is it possible to watch/record more? I think I read that the duo 2 which has up to four tuners can record/watch up to 16 channels! I may be wrong on that....

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    It's a receiver that works best with 2 sat feeds.
    It will work off one feed, but with 2 feeds your recording/watching live tv options are massively inceased.
    With both feeds, tuner A will record all channels on the same transponder, tuner b will do the same.
    So, in theory, you can easily record 6 or 7 or more channels at the same time.
    Not that you'ld want to be recording on those channels though...
    In general, the more tuners the better, for increased recording/streaming options.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Boydie05 (02-09-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that information, it's much appreciated. I'm a bit of a novice atm, so don't really follow the "same transponder" bit. I understand that a group of channels are sent down together, but I don't quite get what would happen if I wanted to watch/record channels on a different transponder. I'm only initially pointing my dish to 28.2, but at least I now know it it possible to record/watch more than one channel. So once again thanks for your reply...

Title
    Thanks

Twin tuner?

1 sat cable = watch or record all channels on 1 transponder at the same time, 2 cables = 2 transponders etc etc. You won't know what channels are grouped together on a transponder just by looking at the EPG (you can check by pressing red button on the EPG) The 7 Irish channels are on the same transponder so in theory I could record all those channels and watch BBC1 for example (I have a vu solo2). On a Vu Duo2 there is 4 tuners so you could (in theory) record channels on 3 transponders (max 7 channels on each) 21 channels and watch a different channel off a different transponder. Each tuner should have its own separate cable running from satellite. Of course it is possible to record up to 28 channels if watching one of those channels.
    Last edited by thestoress; 02-09-14 at 23:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thestoress For This Useful Post:

Boydie05 (03-09-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If only pointing at 28.2, 2 feeds to the Solo2 are best.
    Example, record BBC1 using tuner A, ITV 1 HD using tuner B, watch any shows or any other channels on the same transponder as BBC1 & ITV 1 HD.
    A box with more tuners will work better with more feeds.
    While both tuners are being used for recordings, you can still watch any previous recordings.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Channel list by up/down button, then green button for satelittes, then current transponder bouquet will also show you all channels you can view/record on that transponder.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Judge, I'm learning! Just been on the lyngsat site to find which channels are on which transponder. Basically looking at that information it would difficult to find more than one channel to record from each transponder.!! Therefore with the solo 2 if I want to watch a channel I will probably only be able to record one other channel, so I see what you meant about the more tuners the better. Maybe it's the duo 2, Hmmm!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You will need more cables from LNB if you use more than twin tuners.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie05 View Post
    Thanks Judge, I'm learning! Just been on the lyngsat site to find which channels are on which transponder. Basically looking at that information it would difficult to find more than one channel to record from each transponder.!! Therefore with the solo 2 if I want to watch a channel I will probably only be able to record one other channel, so I see what you meant about the more tuners the better. Maybe it's the duo 2, Hmmm!
    How many channels do you actually want to record/watch?
    On 28.2, I'd rarely find 2. I do use a usb tuner on some boxes for some clashes though.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thestoress View Post
    1 sat cable = watch or record all channels on 1 transponder at the same time, 2 cables = 2 transponders etc etc. You won't know what channels are grouped together on a transponder just by looking at the EPG (you can check by pressing red button on the EPG) The 7 Irish channels are on the same transponder so in theory I could record all those channels and watch BBC1 for example (I have a vu solo2). On a Vu Duo2 there is 4 tuners so you could (in theory) record channels on 3 transponders (max 7 channels on each) 21 channels and watch a different channel off a different transponder. Each tuner should have its own separate cable running from satellite. Of course it is possible to record up to 28 channels if watching one of those channels.
    Thanks "thestoress", I actually think I now understand the principle behind this set up now. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boydie05 For This Useful Post:

thestoress (03-09-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    How many channels do you actually want to record/watch?
    On 28.2, I'd rarely find 2. I do use a usb tuner on some boxes for some clashes though.
    Haha. I follow where your going with that statement. Probably very rarely more than one, I was just doing my homework before my purchase. At present my cable box will allow me to record two and watch another, so I was just checking. I know the solo 2 won't take another receiver internally but will it allow a USB receiver and if so can you record from the USB? Its possibly an emergency solution.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Yes you can record from a USB tuner same as if it were a internal tuner card.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Receiver is the Vu Solo2, the slot that the satellite cable screws into is called a tuner.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replays, I'm much clearer now, your help is appreciated..