Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
This issue has come up several times. The idea/motive was to check you can reach the internet instead of specific listed sites. We used to check a few sites and one of them was offline issues for a while which caused problems at the time.

We added a check that you can reach google's dns server. I suppose a check if you can reach google will achieve same objective. Please feel free to submit a pull request. If it works for everyone, hopefully it will be added. We are not like other images who say our way or the high way.
Yes, like I say this is probably absolutely fine for nearly everyone. You could call me and the two other guys who've run into this "edge cases"

I had a quick look at the code and I can see in lib/python/Components/OnlineUpdateCheck.py and I stand corrected, it doesn't actually do any lookup, just connects to 8.8.8.8:53. Ironically if this was cloudflare 1.1.1.1:53 it would work in my environment, just bad luck on my part. Probably easiest to leave it as is, I would think if anyone runs into this they will end up here and be able to fix it themselves.