Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Before i take the plunge...

Title
    Thanks

Before i take the plunge...

Good evening all, an Openvix newbie writes...

I've been using the standard Vu+ image on my solo2 for about a year and i'm going through "due diligence" before i power on with a USB bearing a new image inserted.
    I don't think i'm going to be doing anything complicated - just the standard UK freeview channels from astra, no sky, no cam, quad LNB, LAN not wifi, no over-the-web streaming, built in 500Gb HDD...
    Mostly i think i'm almost prepared, short of getting the latest available image the day before. But before i do, a couple of questions:

1. What will happen to the existing recordings on the HDD? The HDD will be wiped as part of the install process (don't think so)? Or they they'll be there but not watchable for decoding reasons or whatever?

2. I use the vu+ ipad app for radio streaming on an aging ipad1. Will this app still continue to function afterwards?

3. I assume openwebif is still going to work afterwards? Makes some things quite easy...

4. Will the existing list of services remain, or will i have to rescan? To be honest i probably should rescan anyway. it's been a good few months

Apart from this is there anything i may have forgotten, or other gotchas i may not have found by reading various bit of "stuff"

Cheers,

Mal

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,172 Times in 6,246 Posts
    1. What will happen to the existing recordings on the HDD? The HDD will be wiped as part of the install process (don't think so)? Or they they'll be there but not watchable for decoding reasons or whatever?
    Nothing will happen to them. Contents of HDD are not touched when you flash a different image.

Some people mistakenly think that they have to initialise(format) the HDD. This is what causes the loss of recordings.

2. I use the vu+ ipad app for radio streaming on an aging ipad1. Will this app still continue to function afterwards?
    Should still do. Not used it, so can't say for definite.

3. I assume openwebif is still going to work afterwards? Makes some things quite easy...
    Still does. There have been some new features added and looks different.

4. Will the existing list of services remain, or will i have to rescan? To be honest i probably should rescan anyway. it's been a good few months
    Irrespective of what image you have, you can always transfer the channel data between images. save them to PC and transfer back afterwards.

You can make an image backup and restore/flash it back afterwards.

Title
    Thanks
    Excellent, thanks for that, good to have confirmed what i was hoping/guessing.

Although, how can i make an image for the current [software] and settings currently installed?
    I've seen mentioned of it with respect to Vix, but don't recall seeing any menu item about in in the standard Vu+ [software].
    Have i mis-understood something?

Mal