Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: restore plugins after installation of new 4.x image

Title
    Thanks

restore plugins after installation of new 4.x image

yesterday i installed 4.1. after reboot it offered me to restore settings and plugins from backup.
    if i recall correctly after 4.0 installation it just offered me to restore settings.
    therefore the question: can i assume that the image defines what can be safely restored?
    in other words: if it is required to install plugins from feed that the image doesn't offer to restore plugins from backup?
    thanks.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,056 Times in 7,638 Posts
    4.1.00x should allow restore from 4.0.00x.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    yesterday i installed 4.1. after reboot it offered me to restore settings and plugins from backup.
    if i recall correctly after 4.0 installation it just offered me to restore settings.
    therefore the question: can i assume that the image defines what can be safely restored?
    in other words: if it is required to install plugins from feed that the image doesn't offer to restore plugins from backup?
    thanks.
    At first I tried it restoring both settings and plugins for my Ultimo, but didn't get Oscam working, so I flashed back to 4.0 (and for some reason restoring the full image backup I had just done didn't work, so I had to do it through the original image).
    The next day I flashed 4.1 again, this time only restoring the settings without plugins, then installed the oscam plugin through the plugin manager, and now it works as it should.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    4.1.00x should allow restore from 4.0.00x.
    the question is, can i safely restore plugins when the selection is offered by the image?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    the question is, can i safely restore plugins when the selection is offered by the image?
    From what we've tested yes. We do not normally allow restore of plugins when switching OE-A branch, but due to the short space of time from releasing 4.0 to 4.1 we've allowed it, from our tests seem fine.

Backup your settings and make image backup first to be safe.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    ok, that's what i wanted to know. you control in the image whether restore should be possible safely or not. that's excellent.
    i understand that there is a small risk that your judgement could be wrong, but that's fine.
    i like the new version, build, restore handling. great!

Title
    Thanks
    for what it's worth, I went for the option of restoring plugins as well and not all the plugins were restored sucessfully - dreamplex was missing after the upgrade.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imish View Post
    for what it's worth, I went for the option of restoring plugins as well and not all the plugins were restored sucessfully - dreamplex was missing after the upgrade.
    It's possible you had an older version of dreamplex in your backup or its been named differently in the feeds.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    well, there are many plugins out there...
    i'm referring to cases where it's clear from code/interface changes that plugin restore will definitely not work.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    It's possible you had an older version of dreamplex in your backup or its been named differently in the feeds.
    was using the dreamplex version from the feeds from 4.0.003 - not sure if that has changed with 4.1

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,968 Times in 3,283 Posts
    We have made a change to the way plugin restore works. Now only the parent plugin is restored and all the depends get pulled automatically. So now plugins restore works identically to manual installation, i.e. "opkg install some_plugin". The depends are loaded as necessary.

Any plugin that has changed names or is no longer in the feeds will be skipped.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

2stein (17-04-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I found samba and nfs weren't restored.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    We have made a change to the way plugin restore works. Now only the parent plugin is restored and all the depends get pulled automatically. So now plugins restore works identically to manual installation, i.e. "opkg install some_plugin". The depends are loaded as necessary.

Any plugin that has changed names or is no longer in the feeds will be skipped.
    oh, that sounds great. thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkr001 View Post
    I found samba and nfs weren't restored.
    Every time I have flashed my Ultimo without restoring plugins, those two have always been automatically prompted to be installled when I have gone to nfs / samba settings menu. You just need to remember to check the settings, and there you are.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    was easuyer when they where in the image.Now box needs 2 reboots for installing them.Before no reboot needed.They where immediatly active.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast