Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: using both cable tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,177 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Make sure you look at the connections of the tuners before you buy/make. Some are F-plugs, some are bellin-lee

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Make sure you look at the connections of the tuners before you buy/make. Some are F-plugs, some are bellin-lee
    Hi
    Sorry abu i know you said before it does not make a difference if you split the cable or use the loop but i read something on the linux support formus where someone who tried to use the loop option. They tried this on the gigablue quad and said that they could record one channel but only watch another channel on the same transponder or polarisation or something like that.
    Would that be the case with all cable receivers or combo receivers?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, It should not be. Using a loop cable is basically extending it. can you post what the person said.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Hi, It should not be. Using a loop cable is basically extending it. can you post what the person said.
    Ok i will try find it.
    But with nsw saying he can record 4 channels at the same time i think it is safe to say it does work. it is definetely less hassle than splitting. I just wanted to get an idea what would be better in terms of signal quality and what would result in the least signal lost.
    anyways thanks abu.

Title
    Thanks
    Maybe talking about satellite not cable receiving?

Title
    Thanks
    You keep mentioning polarization and transponders - this is purely for satellite tuners where the receiver effectively controls the dish (LNB) to receive particular signals. With cable, all the signals are present simultaneously on the incoming cable and the cable tuner merely decodes whichever signals it requires.
    Using a loop cable enables all tuners to 'see' all the signals and therefore multiple programs can be recorded.
    As others have suggested, a simple cable can be made up with appropriate connectors and going from tuner A output to tuner B input, B output to C input etc, with the main cable feed going into tuner A input.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electrocop For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-04-15),joysleep1 (15-03-15),Larry-G (16-03-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by electrocop View Post
    You keep mentioning polarization and transponders - this is purely for satellite tuners where the receiver effectively controls the dish (LNB) to receive particular signals. With cable, all the signals are present simultaneously on the incoming cable and the cable tuner merely decodes whichever signals it requires.
    Using a loop cable enables all tuners to 'see' all the signals and therefore multiple programs can be recorded.
    As others have suggested, a simple cable can be made up with appropriate connectors and going from tuner A output to tuner B input, B output to C input etc, with the main cable feed going into tuner A input.
    Oh ok
    That makes sense. So if you only have two cable tuners. Would it be better to split the main signal and have two input feeds or insert the main feed and loop it to the other tuner. When I mean better.. I mean in terms of signal loss or getting the best out of the signal and so both tuners can work effectively.
    Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Just try it and compare signal strength using 'satfinder'.
    Also when you are using splitters, you will have signal loss.
    It is possible the tuner has a small amp in it to boost the loop through output signal to the same level as input.(I don't know)
    Vu+ Duo2, OpenVix, 3xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-s2 , 1xdvb-c (Sundtek)
    Vu+ SoloSE V2, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Vu+ SoloSE, OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    ET6500. OpenVix, 1xdvb-c
    Motor 1m dish

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peterj For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (15-03-15),joysleep1 (16-03-15),Larry-G (16-03-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Using a loop cable should be better - as Peterj stated, there will be some signal loss involved when using splitters and most tuners with loopthrough (like VCRs) actually boost the signal slightly to the output connector to minimize the possibility of losses.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electrocop For This Useful Post:

joysleep1 (16-03-15),Larry-G (16-03-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Oh ok
    That makes sense. So if you only have two cable tuners. Would it be better to split the main signal and have two input feeds or insert the main feed and loop it to the other tuner. When I mean better.. I mean in terms of signal loss or getting the best out of the signal and so both tuners can work effectively.
    Thanks
    id like to know this as well , i hav two cables coming into my house from the box on the wall, but it has one input or cable in coming in from the street, ive split one line already, was gonna split the other as well but thought maybe it will cauase a loss in signal strenth quality etc...how many times can you split a virgin feed ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brundlefly View Post
    id like to know this as well , i hav two cables coming into my house from the box on the wall, but it has one input or cable in coming in from the street, ive split one line already, was gonna split the other as well but thought maybe it will cauase a loss in signal strenth quality etc...how many times can you split a virgin feed ?
    How do you have two cables coming from the box. I thought you only get one main feed from the exterior of the house.?

Title
    Thanks
    Everyone's signal levels are different. As mentioned by PeterJ, best way is to connect and find out. The signal levels for modems and TV are different.

Title
    Thanks
    How do you have two cables coming from the box. I thought you only get one main feed from the exterior of the house.?
    too be honest this was done years and years ago when vm was known as telewest/blueyonder days of dial up internet, both lines are active as i have VM broadband with them, one line went into one room and another into another, basically it is still one line coming in from the main box outside but split into two by a splitter that they used years ago, now ive split one of those two lines into two again, and im thinking of splitting the other into two as well...my SNR on VM is around 69% at the moment so far ive split the line 3 times, having 2 cable tuners , seperate boxes and superhub, i may add two additional cable tuners, one to each box, thus making 5 connections...from 1 line coming in...im sure its gonna have some effect on signal....lol

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well I should be getting my replacement Mut@nt soon. I'm just wandering if the loop cable they provide will work for my cable feed or if i should try buy a better one. I don't really know how to make good quality ones so anyone know where you can purchase them from?
    Thanks
    Last edited by joysleep1; 17-03-15 at 17:27.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,056 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Well I should be getting my replacement Mut@nt soon. I'm just wandering if the loop cable they provide will work for my cable feed or if i should try buy a better one. I don't really know how to make good quality ones so anyone know where you can purchase them from?
    Thanks
    The loop cable they provide is F type, not RF Type. In any case any loop cables supplied by manufacturers are not normally that great, I'd recommend you make your own of buy some good quality RF loop cables.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast