Hi everyone, I'm sure over the oncoming weeks and probably months I shall be seeking advice from the members of this
forum and so it only seems courteous to introduce myself. I am Gerard and have recently taken up the idea of purchasing a satellite
receiver. For many years I have used Sky for broadband and phone and over the past few years been using Sky Q after they offered me a deal when I threatened to cancel. During that time prices have continued to increase and I have now decided enough is enough and cancelled everything. After sourcing a cheaper broadband provider and returning Sky's property I would still be left with the Sky Q dish. At first purchasing a dedicated Freesat box seemed the logical move until I started investigating my options. I wanted a 4K device and only Freesat offered one and after checking their reviews quickly wrote off that idea. I had been looking on ebay to find what was available second hand but there seemed to be very little around. It suddenly occurred to me that my search had been based on Freesat and so I changed the search to Satellite receivers and became aware there was a world of receivers outside of Freesat, Humax, Manhatten etc: and my hunt was on.
I have over the past few weeks been searching and learning what I can from Google and members from the Digitalworldz forum, many of whom have made some very helpful comments. ( I did try registering on this forum at the beginning of my search but unable to join. Having received an email from the forum I tried again and this time everything worked as expected).
As a retired 71 year old I have been able to spend some time on my laptop reviewing the various receivers and reading comments of the various owners. Unfortunately as is with most products one mans meat is another mans poison and so it's been a bit of a struggle deciding on a device that meets my requirements. I've been looking for a 4K receiver that can record at least three channels while watching another and that leads me to believe I now need a device with FBC tuners of which there only appears to be VU+ and Gigablue.
Having now been on the hunt for a couple of weeks I have become aware there is a considerable learning curve compared to buying a dedicated Freesat machine. Many years ago I developed an interest in computers after repairing one i had for my business. That led to a new hobby and for may years I would buy second hand components and put together second hand machines. More recently I have installed alternative software on Android phones and so feel that the world of Satellite receivers may well become a new functional hobby that I shall enjoy. I notice this forum also has areas for computers and phones so it certainly looks as though several of my interest will be covered.
Back to my choices, because of my criteria I have been looking at the VU+ Solo 4K and Uno 4K as well as the Gigablue UHD UE which is my choice at the moment. I can only find these two makes with FBC tuners, if other members are aware of others I shall appreciate comments offered. The Freesat 4K cost £260 and I'm trying to keep my budget to that sort of bracket. Also if any one owns any of the above, once again I shall appreciate any comments.
For now
Gerard