My Xtrend ET10000 PVR has served me well for many years. I don’t know how long it will last, but I am thinking of replacing it and would appreciate advice on what box to buy.

I like the Enigma2 operating system, because of the ability to set up any number of cable, satellite and IPTV channels/bouquets, mix and sort in my preferred order and record. I need double satellite and double cable tuners. Until now I have used OpenPLI and OpenVIX, E-Channelizer on my PC as a setup tool and watch Ziggo channels with an old (CI?) smartcard and CCAM softcam.

Although I realise that CI+ is difficult with Enigma2, if possible, I would like the ability to use a Ziggo CI+ module/ card, e.g. through a plug in. I also realise that IPTV on Enigma is not ideal, but it would be good to choose an Enigma2 box for which buffering is a minimum and that can record a few channels simultaneously.

I have seen good reviews of VU+, but I do not need or want the separate internal screen, as on the VU+, because I often listen to channels at night in the dark via a separate amplifier. Also, from Internet postings, I gather that support for the VU+ is questionable.

I am thinking of trying an OCTAGON SF8008 4K E2 DVB-S2X&C/T2. How does this compare to my old ET10000. Is there any disadvantage in using an external USB hard drive for recording compared with the internal hard drive of my ET10000? Are there alternatives that I should consider, e.g. ZGemma or Gigablue?

Any advice would be welcome.