Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: GigaBlue and Sony Projector Not Playing.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

GigaBlue and Sony Projector Not Playing.

This is a bit of a shaggy story about my AV system and I am not sure if it is an OpenVix issue or GigaBlue issue but for now I've posted just in this section.

I have 4 source boxes connected to Audio Visual Receiver - a Marantz NR1711 2020 with a single output which then goes through a Wyrestorm H2 splitter:

http://www.habitech.co.uk/Price+List...-H2.htm#rtabs3

The Wyrestorm has 4 indication lights. Red for the 5v external power source. Blue for the HDMI input from the AVR. And Blue for each HDMI output.

and then to Sony VPL-VW590ES PJ 2020 or TV - I have tried a Toshiba 32" HD 2013, Samsung 28" HD 2014 and LG 32" HD 2020. The reason for using the splitter is 2 fold. To downscale a 4K signal from GigaBlue and 4K Blu-ray to 1080p and to prevent needing to plug and unplug equipement - which is bad for the plugs and can damage kit through static electricity etc.

4 source boxes are Sony RDR-HXD770 Freeview Recorder/DVD player 2007, Panasonic 4K Blu-ray player couple of years old, Humax Foxsat HDR HD satellite recorder 2008 and GigaBlue UHD 4K satellite receiver 2020 - running OpenVix software.

HDMI CEC is switched off on everything, except the Sony PJ which doesn't have a setting. The GigaBlue has a complicated HDMI CEC menu if enabled, and there may be a setting in there that will solve the issue. It is disabled. I've also used a CEC disabling adapter lead and it doesn't make any difference to the results.

I have also checked the EDID files on each device. All accurately reflect when the equipment came into service. Except 1 item. The Sony 590ES which only went on sale a month or so ago. Its EDID is dated 2013. So not inspiring that the Sony EDID information is actually correct?? An experienced contributor has suggested on www.avforums.com
    that it is an EDID issue.

From standby, a warm start, everything works correctly. But my system doesn't stay in standby - checked with a power meter and actually draws quite a few watts. So wasting wigglies and during the day switched off.

From total power off, cold start, it gets interesting. All boxes work correctly except the GigaBlue in 2160p and 1080p. On start up the GigaBlue displays the 1 or 2 start up "splash screens" at 1920 x 1080p on its internal small screen and on the TV - the "GigaBlue" screen and then the "OpenVix" screen. Then when the TV picture appears on the GigaBlue internal display, all TVs just display "no signal". Unplug and replug the Sony PJ HDMI at the PJ, and the picture appears. If the GigaBlue is set to its lowest setting of 1080i, then I get a picture. If set to 2160p I don't. The Wyrestorm H2 downscales to 1080p for the TVs.

So I think there is a conflict between the GigaBlue 2160p and Sony PJ. I think the issue is an HDCP issue between the GigaBlue and Sony PJ. And I have found 2 possible issues with the Sony:

1. From a cold start the Wyrestorm H2 blue indicator for the Sony PJ output comes on instantly - even with the Sony fully powered off/unplugged - and well before the TV output blue indicator, which only comes on when the TV goes into standby. I do not think this handshake should be happening with the projector fully unpowered??
    When the system is up and running, unplugging the PJ HDMI lead the H2 blue indicator goes out. Replugging, and the H2 blue output indicator stays out and the TV picture appears. It doesn't reappear when the HDMI plug is put back in. Only at the next cold start.

2. The Sony PJ EDID also seems to be well out of date with a date of 2013 - as posted earlier. I attach the EDID for the Marantz and Sony PJ for a comparison??

So, I think the Sony is completing a circuit somewhere when power is put on the AV system even if the PJ is unplugged. The HDMI plug has, I believe, 5v power on pin 18. The CEC also has 3.3v on pin 13, but that is disabled by the CEC disable cable. And, I think this early circuit in the Sony is blocking the GigaBlue when it is in HD. I don't know what HDCP the GigaBlue is?? The Sony PJ, Wyrestorm H2 and Panasonic Blu-ray are all HDCP 2.2.

Any ideas would be really useful.

Sony590ESEDID.jpg

MarantzAVREDID.jpg
    Last edited by CRMS; 22-10-20 at 18:18.