Because I'm not clever enough. Getting the box and my laptop to talk to each other via my router was a day's work, as you will see if you look back through this thread.

I had a simple solution, it worked for me. It no longer does. It's the solution I would prefer to continue with, anything else is just asking for even more grief. Surely the questions I'm asking have simple enough answers, that is if one is an expert like I know you are?

What I have noticed, and casting my mind back, is that when I first recorded on the 4008 I'm fairly certain that I used the 64 GB stick straight out of an Aston Simba, which had formatted it to FAT32. I seem to remember being impressed that the 4008 simply accepted the stick, which already have recordings from the Aston on it, and created a "movie" folder by itself, without demanding a reformat. It's this memory that is now puzzling me, because the 4008 isn't creating a "movie" folder whether I preformat the stick, or allow the 4008 to do it itself. And I'm also finding that the stick - when formatted in the 4008 - doesn't allow any folder creation when plugged into the laptop, the laptop sees it but won't allow me to create a "movie" folder. It's all most odd.