Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brands dispute: Dream Multimedia has taken action against VU + Duo

Title
    Thanks

Brands dispute: Dream Multimedia has taken action against VU + Duo

Dream Multimedia has obtained an injunction against competitors Satco Europe. Dream accuses Satco, the manufacturer had violated the idea of Linux receiver VU + duo on the ANGA Cable trade marks owned by Dream Multimedia.

As the company announced on Monday, Satco had during the show the receiver VU + Duo aggressively promoted by reference to "Enigma 2 ". The naming rights for the Linux-based user interface can be secured Dream Multimedia has, however, as a registered trademark.

Core of the dispute is a promotional flyer for the product being advertised in the Enigma with the support of the Satco receiver. Also during the startup process, the VU + duo Designation Enigma come as a screen display used, raised the Lünener receiver manufacturer, who had founded with his dream boxes in 2003, the segment of the Linux-based receivers for digital television reception.

The District Court Dusseldorf Satco now banned the further use of the name "Enigma 2 ". The device may thus no longer "Enigma" are advertised. Disappear on future devices, the writing produced. Stops are not available to the Satco, threatens the company a penalty of 250 000 €.

Dream Multimedia will in future action against other manufacturers that use the company's trademark illegally. The terms "Enigma" and "Enigma 2" have been shaped by Dream for your digital receiver. The Dreambox 7000 was the time the first set-top box market, which was shipped from the factory with a pre-installed Linux operating system.

Orginal German:

Dream Multimedia hat eine einstweilige Verfügung gegen den Konkurrenten Satco Europe erwirkt. Dream wirft Satco vor, der Hersteller hätte mit der Vorstellung des Linux-Receivers VU+ Duo auf der Fachmesse Anga Cable Markenrechte von Dream Multimedia verletzt.

Wie das Unternehmen am Montag mitteilte, hatte Satco während der Messe den Receiver VU+ Duo offensiv unter Verweis auf "Enigma 2" beworben. Die Namensrechte für die Linux-basierte Benutzeroberfläche hat sich Dream Multimedia jedoch als eingetragenes Warenzeichen sichern lassen.

Kern des Streits ist ein Werbeflyer für das Gerät, in dem mit der Enigma-Unterstützung des Satco-Receivers geworben wird. Auch während des Startvorgangs der VU+ Duo komme die Bezeichung Enigma als Bildschirmeinblendung zum Einsatz, hob der Lünener Receiver-Hersteller, der mit seinen Dreamboxen im Jahr 2003 das Segment der Linux-basierten Empfangsgeräte für den digitalen Fernsehempfang begründet hatte, hervor.

Das Landgericht Düsseldorf untersagte nun Satco die weitere Nutzung der Bezeichnung "Enigma 2". Das Gerät darf somit nicht mehr mit "Enigma" beworben werden. Auf zukünftig produzierten Geräten muss der Schriftzug verschwinden. Hält sich Satco nicht an die Verfügung, droht dem Unternehmen eine Strafe von 250 000 Euro.

Dream Multimedia will in Zukunft noch gegen weitere Hersteller vorgehen, die widerrechtlich Markenzeichen des Unternehmens verwenden. Die Bezeichnungen "Enigma" und "Enigma 2" sind von Dream für ihre Digital-Receiver geprägt worden. Die Dreambox 7000 war seinerzeit die erste Set-Top-Box im Markt, die ab Werk mit einem vorinstallierten Linux-Betriebssystem ausgeliefert wurde.

Quelle:digitalfernsehen.de
    1x Et9000
    1x Et9200
    1x Dm 8000

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enzo For This Useful Post:

bassethound (09-05-11),deano41 (26-05-11),Donnie (09-05-11),FuManchu (09-05-11),Mr. Mister (09-05-11),pooface (09-05-11),terrorman (25-05-11),witchy (16-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    you just have to laugh at dream now adays. they have driven all their custom away due to ridiculous pricing and now their only revenue source is to sue their competitors.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

FuManchu (09-05-11),Mr. Mister (09-05-11),SLOTH (13-05-11),terrorman (25-05-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Dont fully understand this. So what is the outcome here? No one is allowed to use the Enigma or Enigma 2 name even though if its used in Opensource format any receiver can use it but can't say in their marketing that it uses Enigma2? Wtf???

Enzo you got a link to origianl story please?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Donnie (09-05-11),FuManchu (09-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    This is a direct response to DMM loosing out to cheaper and better supported box's now.
    Who really makes a decent Dreambox image these days ?
    Gemini has lost loads of support since it is just a plugin that no one really likes, Black Hole parted company with them so you loose your two biggest assest and what are you left with ?
    I can see DMM going pop unless they come on board with how the community feels these days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnie For This Useful Post:

terrorman (25-05-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    On DMM website: -

Einstweilige Verfügung gegen Satco Europe
    Dream geht gegen Markenverletzungen vor

Dream Multimedia, der führende Anbieter Linux-basierter Set-Top-Boxen, hat eine einstweilige Verfügung gegen die Satco Europe GmbH erwirkt. Satco stellte auf der Anga Cable in Köln unter anderem den TV-Player VU+ Duo vor, dessen Bewerbung gegen Markenrechte von Dream verstößt.

Satco nutzt widerrechtlich die Bezeichnung „Enigma“, die eine eingetragene Marken von Dream ist. In einem Werbeflyer bewirbt Satco das auf dem VU+ installierte Linux-Betriebssystem mit der Bezeichnung „Enigma 2“. Der Begriff „Enigma“ erscheint darüber hinaus beim Hochfahren des Receivers.

Mit der einstweiligen Verfügung untersagt das Landgericht Düsseldorf Satco die Nutzung der Bezeichnung „Enigma 2“ sowie das Anbieten von Set-Top-Boxen mit so gekennzeichneten Betriebssystemen. Bei Zuwiderhandlung droht eine Geldbuße in Höhe von bis zu 250.000 Euro oder eine Ordnungshaft von bis zu sechs Monaten.

Die Verfügung auf der Anga Cable ist nur der erste Schritt. Dream will in Zukunft auch gegen andere Hersteller vorgehen, die widerrechtlich Marken von Dream nutzen.

Dream-Sprecher Alpaslan Karasu: „Wir werden nicht mehr länger tatenlos zusehen, wie Mitwettbewerber unseren guten Namen ausnutzen, um ihre Produkte zu verkaufen.“
    Injunction against Satco Europe
    Dream takes action against trademark infringement

Dream Multimedia, the leading provider of Linux-based set-top boxes, has a restraining order against the Satco Europe GmbH sought. Satco presented at the Anga Cable in Cologne, including the TV player VU + duo whose application for trademark violation of Dream.

Satco uses illegally the name "Enigma, "which is a registered trademarks of Dream. In a promotional flyer advertises the Satco on the VU + installed Linux operating system called "Enigma 2 ". The term "Enigma" also appears when booting the receiver.

The injunction prohibits the district court of Dusseldorf Satco the use of the name "Enigma 2 " and the provision of set-top boxes marked with such operating systems. In violation a fine of EUR threatens up to 250,000 € or a detention order of up to six months.

The injunction at the Anga Cable is just the first step. Dream will continue to proceed against other manufacturers who use illegal trademarks of Dream.

Dream spokesperson Alpaslan Karasu: "We will not longer watch passively as competitors exploit our good name to sell their products."
    So from what I can see anyone can use the Openembedded providing its kept opensource, but not use the term Enigma or Enigma 2.

Wake up DMM! We fully appreiciate all your dev work in Enigma and Enigma 2, but your prices are too high! Looks like DMM dont like healthy competition!
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (09-05-11),Donnie (09-05-11),FuManchu (09-05-11),Larry-G (09-05-11),Mr. Mister (09-05-11),paul362 (16-05-11),SLOTH (13-05-11),terrorman (25-05-11),witchy (16-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    there just going to alienate them selves further with this
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Donnie (09-05-11),FuManchu (09-05-11),witchy (16-05-11)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I can see DMM going pop unless they come on board with how the community feels these days.
    Just on this note..

Would the satellite world be a better place without DMM.. ??

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    Just on this note..

Would the satellite world be a better place without DMM.. ??
    Definitely not but in the market place you have to stay competitive, things change, the market changes. You just have to look at car manufacturers that have disappeared over the years.

The mini was a great car but Austin/ Rover are no more and is the car market a better place without them ?

Title
    Thanks
    according to article i read at lunchtime on wotsat it says dmm have an injunction to stop vu + using both enigma name and software {although i have my doubts on the latter as is opensource?) also that vu+ is only the first of their competitors who dmm will come after.

"Dream Multimedia has brought a temporary injunction against the makers of the Vu+ Duo box to stop them using its Enigma brand.

The injunction against Satco Europe prevents them from using either the brand name or the software in its products.

Dream is planning to take further action against other manufacturers who use its brands and software without permission.

Dream spokesperson Alpaslan Karasu said: 'We will definitely no longer stand around and watch while competitors exploit our good name in order to sell their products.'

The temporary injunction was granted by the Dusseldorf district court after Satco showed the Vu+ Duo with Dream's Enigma brand in its promotion at last week's Anga Cable show in Cologne. The Enigma brand also appears on screen when the Vu+ booted up."

Code:
    http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/dream-stops-vu-maker-using-enigma-brand-09-05-11
    Last edited by irishchris; 10-05-11 at 00:32.
    D I S C L A I M E R

ET8500
    80cm motorised triax TD88

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishchris For This Useful Post:

Donnie (10-05-11),FuManchu (10-05-11)

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    if you read the license for GPL it says that you do NOT have to ask for permission to use ANY opensource project, that is why it was created, ALL you have to do is make your version opesource to, and you CAN NOT change the name or re brand as your own. so i can't see Dream having leg to stand on, unless they make there project Closed, but then they CAN NOT use ANY opensource projects that enigma2 depend on either, so, if they want to go down that route, then ALL the other opensource projects that make OE (openembedded) in which i believe that they use as there os for there boxes could say the same to them, i have had this discussion before with plugin makers, when they told me that there plugin was copyrighted, and i told them the same, you can't copyright or register an opensource project.

this why when moved over to PLi's OE as a base, we had to make our oe available on GIT too.

i think that they need to read the the license agreement that Enigma is built on. Vu+ are abiding by the license by making there OE (the make file) freely available for anyone to use.

i think this will cause Dream Multimedia more harm than good, imho

Andy.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to andyblac For This Useful Post:

bassethound (10-05-11),Donnie (10-05-11),FuManchu (13-05-11),Larry-G (10-05-11),Luar (22-05-11),mauri (17-05-11),Mr. Mister (10-05-11),pooface (10-05-11),terrorman (25-05-11),Zartmy (06-03-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    I cannot understand how dmm think they can do and say this. As andy says, enigma2 is open source. Yes, it may be a trademark of dmm (and they are the main developers of it), but but it's still open source. Android for mobile phones is a trademark of Google, yet google aren't stopping major phone manufacturers such as HTC, LG, Samsung etc etc from developing phones for using android! How is this any different?

Also, as far as I'm aware, dmm didn't actually come up with the idea of enigma2, but actually used the dbox2 as their base. The dbox2 was powered by tuxbox originally, which, I'm guessing is the base of enigma?! If not, the concept at least is, and also makes you wonder why in enigma1 boxes there is a /usr/tuxbox/ folder, and on enigma2 a /etc/tuxbox/ folder... Hence why dmm must have to keep their code opensource, since I imagine it's still using some portion of the tuxbox code...

With all this in mind, I cannot see how the injunction was passed!?
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

terrorman (25-05-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    This makes good reading

Code:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
    @ Poo, its a temporary injuction.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

pooface (10-05-11),terrorman (25-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    it was passed because it was a german judge looking out for a german company. although i can not see it stand up when Vu challenge it in court.

SIMPLES.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (10-05-11)

Alias1

Looks LIke dream was to late

LMFAO this is funny
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alias1 For This Useful Post:

bassethound (13-05-11),pooface (12-05-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Just doing a search, and there are loads of trademarks for enigma, and even some enigma II trademarks... So, I can't really see this going far...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast