Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install a fan ET9000 PDF

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    LOL

yeah sorry mate, i wasn't trying to be pedantic honest

i said that 'cos i tried it round the other way first

regards: canthackit

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The connector was a pain to get it, thought about cutting the wires as the other way it fitted properly.

All done and fans whirling away, think it will drive me bonkers if it doesnt shut down in standby

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    does not the auto setting in the plugin menu not do this?

i leave mine running 24/7 no noise, are you sure it's mounted properly ie don't force it to much into the 4 little lugs, only by orginaly doing that it made mine run noisy, i've now got it just resting inside of them and it runs silent.

Last edited by canthackit; 17-07-11 at 10:32.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by canthackit View Post
    does not the auto setting in the plugin menu not do this?

i leave mine running 24/7 no noise, are you sure it's mounted properly ie don't force it to much into the 4 little lugs, only by orginaly doing that it made mine run noisy, i've now got it just resting inside of them and it runs silent.

Its inside the four strips and thats all holding it in place. As far as I could see there was no settings in plugin apart from turning it on, but will check it out - downloaded the plugin fromthe feed.

To be honest its a lot quiter and could not hear it at night when I switched the box off - its in the bedroom

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    stan

in the plugin menu there's the scrollable options for fan> on/off/auto.

if it is running noisy just try as i suggested above and realease it from the lugs slightly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canthackit For This Useful Post:

Braggster (17-07-11),Stanman (17-07-11)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Will do mate

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    here is my solution for cooling et9000. I was take some fan from old graphic card, fix it on cooler top with some glue. only problem is this fan is 12v, so it's not rotating so fast. wait for a 60x60x10 5v from ebay....

Title
    Thanks
    Hey, which way have you guys mounted your under HDD fans, got me one of those el cheapo chinese 60x10s which is pretty useless. I mounted it blowing out, and although the top of the box was much cooler, the bottom and the HDD got very hot, but then generally the correct way to mount the fan would be with the natural convection not against it, ie as heat rises the fan should move air upward, so I took it all apart again and reversed the fan so it was blowing up, this way the box still get pretty warm on top, in fact I'm not sure I could say it has made any difference. The conclusion is, this is not an ideal solution, as the space above and below the fan is limited, and will restrict airflow. The box certainly gets too hot for my liking, I think I am gonna have to look for a more powerful fan, will probably be 12v as there is more choise, so I will build a small controller (a transistor and a couple of resistors) to switch 12v to the fan using the 5v fan output. Also would have the option of running the fan on reduced power when in standby fairly easily then. Will let you know how I get on!

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I can really see the fan making much difference to the "heating" as the heat is generated by the PSU and the fan is away from there. MY HDD tends to be quite cool.

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    Seems like the mobo side of the box is hotter to me. Anyways Im not interested in directly keeping the PSU cool, Im interested in keeping the air temp down in the box, and any sort of airflow through the box is gonna help that.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The overwhelming amount of heat is generated by the PSU and thats where the cooling needs to be not under the HDD.

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    I disagree, although 1 of the heatsinks on the PSU does get too hot to touch, it is small, probably less than 1/4 the size of the CPU heatsink which also gets too hot to touch.

If you wanted to directly cool those individual components then yes a fan blowing on each heatsink would be required, but that doesnt help the box air temperature, for that you need an exhaust/intake fan and the location is not critical.

On a side note I have just metered the fan connection and it is only 3.2v not 5v which dont help either.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hontch View Post
    On a side note I have just metered the fan connection and it is only 3.2v not 5v which dont help either.
    the fan is rated 5V and i have a 5V fan fitted in mine and it works just fine no issues

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah mine goes round too, I have metered it and it is running on 3.2v not the 5v the fan is rated at, this means the fan is not running on full power.

Do I have a faulty box or is yours running on 3.2v also?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    i dunno you wanna send me a AVO meter and i will check it

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast