Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Problem with satellites.xml

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Problem with satellites.xml

Hi everyone. I like listening to various radio channels on Astra 28.2E. One of my favourites is Gold Radio on 11553 H or 11552 H, 22000, FEC 2/3.
    About 10 days ago, Gold gave me "Tune Failed" on my VU+ Duo. I checked Lyngsat in case the frequency had changed and it hadn't. When I click on the channel it is showing me the correct frequency but FEC 5/6.
    I tried scanning the frequency manually using 2/3 but it isn't picking anything up on that frequency.
    So I downloaded a new satellites.xml from satellites-xml.org.
    Dreambox Edit shows the folder for the satellites.xml file as
    \etc\tuxbox\
    Apparently it can/should also be added to \var\tuxbox\ and \etc\enigma2\
    I used FTP to copy the new satellites.xml from my PC to the VU+ box, then used DreamboxEdit to Restart Enigma, but it is still showing FEC 5/6 and still no Gold Radio.

\var\tuxbox\ ... opens etc\tuxbox when I use ftp
    \etc\tuxbox\ has the new satellites.xml
    \etc\ has the new satellites.xml
    \etc\enigma2\ has the new satellites.xml

However, the "new"satellites.xml file shows that particular frequency as
    <transponder frequency="11553000" symbol_rate="22000000" polarization="0" fec_inner="4" system="0" modulation="1" />
    I know that polarization "0" is Horizontal, but fec_inner=4 is incorrect - it should be fec_inner=2 for FEC 2/3.
    I don't know whether the system="0" and/or modulation="1" needs to be changed.

Any ideas on how I can get my Gold Radio back ? Should I change that line in the xml to fec_inner=2 and upload it via FTP to the box ? Any other ideas on how to fix the problem ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    LATER (6 hours later!) I finally managed to get it sorted out.
    1. I found a current xml on openpli and copied the Astra 28.2 lines
    2. Opened my own satellites.xml file and checked 11553 H. The xml I had downloaded from satellites-xml.org (mentioned in my previous post) was obviously corrupted because the 11553 H line as well as the two above it and the two below it had incorrect settings (e.g. FEC=4 instead of FEC=2). So I overwrote the entire Astra 28.2 section and saved it, then FTP'd it to \etc\tuxbox\ (where DreamboxEdit says it should be)
    3. Using DreamboxEdit, Got settings from box and saved to a new folder.
    4. Checked the satellites.xml in that folder and it was still showing the old lines (FEC=4).
    5. Back to DreamboxEdit.. Tools .. Edit satellites.xml. Scrolled down to 28.2 and corrected the faulty lines. Saved the corrected xml file in DreamboxEdit.
    6. Send settings to box...
    7. Then (at the bottom) "Restart Enigma2"
    8. On the VU+ System.. Tuning and Scanning.. Manual scan .. but 11553 H-23000-2/3 was still not in the list. It was still showing 11553 H - 22000 - 5/6, DAMMIT.
    9. Back to FTP and FTP'd my corrected xml to \etc\enigma2\ and checked the date and time of the xml in \etc\tuxbox\
    10. Back to DreamboxEdit, get settings from box, saved them to yet another folder, opened satellites.xml in a text editor and checked that 11553 H was still correct, sent settings to box, restarted Enigma
    11. On VU+: bla bla bla Manual Scan - and the correct frequency and FEC are now shown in the list.
    So I finally have my Gold Radio back.
    All that just to hear Oldies

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,965 Times in 3,281 Posts
    Satellites.xml is updated once a week on saturday morning. This transponder is only listed as updated on 02/05/2024. Sorry if the service here isn't quick enough but it is done in our spare time.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Huevos, that is understandable. I had used satellites-xml.org in the past and didn't think of looking here. Once a week is more than enough ! AND it was correct ! So I am very happy now and will get the latest xml from here in the future. Thankyou for your work !