Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Tuner A or B

Title
    Thanks

Tuner A or B

Apologies if this question has been queried.
    Having given up with Sky Q because of cost I'm in the throws of purchasing my first satellite receiver. Because I want 4K and FBC tuners my option will most
    likely be a Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I have gone with FBC tuners because I shall need multi channel recording.
    My main question is if I'm using a Unicable 2 LNB with single output do I connect to tuner A or B.
    This all still new to me but I'm slowly learning and gaining advise from the experienced members of this forum and DigitalworldZ.
    I look forward to any comments to this question and further advice from members that already own this receiver.
    I have been advised to use the Openvix operating system so I'm currently studying the manual to help when my coming purchase eventually arrives.
    Thanks to all

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gedwal View Post
    Apologies if this question has been queried.
    Having given up with Sky Q because of cost I'm in the throws of purchasing my first satellite receiver. Because I want 4K and FBC tuners my option will most
    likely be a Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I have gone with FBC tuners because I shall need multi channel recording.
    My main question is if I'm using a Unicable 2 LNB with single output do I connect to tuner A or B.
    This all still new to me but I'm slowly learning and gaining advise from the experienced members of this forum and DigitalworldZ.
    I look forward to any comments to this question and further advice from members that already own this receiver.
    I have been advised to use the Openvix operating system so I'm currently studying the manual to help when my coming purchase eventually arrives.
    Thanks to all
    I don't think it really matters which tuner you use. If you are only connecting to 28.2E and you have a unicable 2 LNB then just connect the coax from the LNB to tuner A and set all the other tuners up as "connected to tuner A". There are useful posts on here on how to do it (you need each one on its own SCR frequency). Look for the guide by Abu on here, got me up and running first time.

In my case (with a gigablue ue4k) I have tuner A connected to a unicable 2 lnb with tuners C - H connected to tuner A, each on their own SCR. Tuner B is connected to two "legacy" LNB's (via a diseqc switch) pointing at 19.2E / 13E . You only need to use the second tuner connection if you want to use satellites other than 28.2E. Plenty of useful info on here and the contributors are very helpful if you run into trouble. It was pretty straight forward getting my receiver working using the advice available on this site.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    It does not matter which one you use.

If the signal wire is hooked up to A, all the other tuners must select tuner A as the one through which they are connected. If you decide to use B, then all the other tuners must be set as they are connected through B.

That being said, I would use A as it is fewer remote pushes when configuring the tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all and I shall certainly check on Abu's article on setting the box up when I purchase it. Starting to look forward to the challenges.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
    Thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
    Thanks in advance
    Just did a check on what I installed on my box and its 7mm
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks in advance
    I don't think the thickness will matter really. I just put in a 2.5" SSD I had lying around doing nothing (Western Digital WDS500G2B0A). It only holds timeshift and 2 days of recordings anyway, anything older than two days gets copied to NAS.

For fitting it, see post 6 -> https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...-UHD-UE-4K-box as it wasn't immediately obvious to me (I was expecting some sort of bracket or "cage").

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that both but Morini mention recordings getting stored to NAS, that's a term I've not encountered with satellite receivers or computers. Explanation would be welcome and why would the recordings not stay on the drive.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that both but Morini mention recordings getting stored to NAS, that's a term I've not encountered with satellite receivers or computers. Explanation would be welcome and why would the recordings not stay on the drive.
    Nothing wrong with recording to the local drive on the machine and if that works for you then by all means stick with that approach. But the benefits of using such a configurable, open system is it allows you to be more flexible than you could be with (say) Sky DVRs. If you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) available on your network or any other network share (even Samba share maybe?) then you can either record directly to the network share or record to a local disk and have a scheduled task to copy / move recordings to the network storage. It is then simple to access these recording from any other devices.

I only had a small 500GB SSD available to put in my receiver, so rather than fork out for a larger one I just NFS mount a dataset on my NAS and move anything I want to keep longer term over to that. There are many ways to go about it, a NAS works best for me with the other devices I have on my network. Do what works best for you.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Morini, the world of satellite receivers is still a learning curve for me. I am sure with the help of the OpenVix manual and help for from you guys I shall get up and running and learn as I go along.