Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Installing latest Vix image on Zgemma H9.2S - effectively bricked..

Title
    Thanks

Installing latest Vix image on Zgemma H9.2S - effectively bricked..

I have been using my H92S successfully for a couple of years and have updated it successfully by USB once in the past. This evening, I thought it was about time I brought it up to date. So the Bouquetmaker would work again - what a mistake!

The recommended HP Format program tells me each USB device is locked (heaven knows why), so I used the windows 10 format process, was I wrong to do that?

I have tried two different USB sticks Fat32 one is 32gb the other 8gb both Sandisk and the unit resolutely refuses to install the latest Vix image (yes its the correct image for the unit). I hold down the reset button when powering on and nothing… the front light is supposed to alternate white/red. I have done this before - once, and I am pretty sure it wasn’t this tricky.

I then read on here you could also download the vix file via the file manager and install the image directly to the H92s (this was news to me). So I followed the instructions very carefully and started the flashing process, unfortunately it failed with an error half way through, so my H92S is now effectively bricked. I will try other makes of USB stick but I am starting to give up hope and wish I hadn’t bothered at all. I have built windows PCs in the past and am quite capable of following detailed instructions (I even managed to get my French Freesat card to work!) - but as I get older just want stuff to work, so please bear with me…

If anyone has any flashes (excuse the pun) of inspiration, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks..

Patrick
    Stourbridge, UK

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
    I have been using my H92S successfully for a couple of years and have updated it successfully by USB once in the past. This evening, I thought it was about time I brought it up to date. So the Bouquetmaker would work again - what a mistake!

The recommended HP Format program tells me each USB device is locked (heaven knows why), so I used the windows 10 format process, was I wrong to do that?

I have tried two different USB sticks Fat32 one is 32gb the other 8gb both Sandisk and the unit resolutely refuses to install the latest Vix image (yes its the correct image for the unit). I hold down the reset button when powering on and nothing… the front light is supposed to alternate white/red. I have done this before - once, and I am pretty sure it wasn’t this tricky.

I then read on here you could also download the vix file via the file manager and install the image directly to the H92s (this was news to me). So I followed the instructions very carefully and started the flashing process, unfortunately it failed with an error half way through, so my H92S is now effectively bricked. I will try other makes of USB stick but I am starting to give up hope and wish I hadn’t bothered at all. I have built windows PCs in the past and am quite capable of following detailed instructions (I even managed to get my French Freesat card to work!) - but as I get older just want stuff to work, so please bear with me…

If anyone has any flashes (excuse the pun) of inspiration, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks..

Patrick
    Stourbridge, UK
    Firstly its not bricked, it just needs an image.
    usb flashing on the H9 (and other zgemma receivers) takes several minutes and requires a lot of patience (!) ....... and is a real pain to do. (which is why I always do an online flash with ImageManager)

So I assume at this moment its not bootable? (it would be nice to know what the error message was when you tried to flash with ImageManager (? - its not file manager)

If you happen to have an old usb stick lying around it will probably work better.... but just try to reformat a small usb stick again fat32, and go through the procedure again, copying the h9 folder and the 2 bin files to the usb before trying.
    Be absolutely sure you are using the H9 image and not the H9SE image (H9SE being the newer model)
    .. and it takes patience which I find difficult as well at my age.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the quick response, much appreciated, sorry if my terminology isn’t correct. I should have taken a picture of the message with my phone, but at that point, I was losing it a bit! When I ran the imagemanager, I definitely picked the correct image, because I saw the SE listed (I also have an H9S and a H9.2H as I use client mode in different rooms) and know how critical this is. But maybe a fresh eye (and no wine lingering) will help. ��

Its not bootable, just the steady white light. One thing I didn’t mention was, that I know when I originally set up the box It booted from a microSD card, but I can’t remember if that was still the case, although the card was still in the unit. Should it be there when flashing or is it safest to remove it? I normally keep a 2tb hdd attached but this was removed as there is only one usb socket.

When I started the imagemanager and ran the update the black and white progress box appeared, it got half through the progress bar and produced a very short error, sorry I can’t remember the exact message…

Anyway, I will go and buy a couple of different 8gb USB sticks (most of mine are a lot bigger) and keep trying. Then if it does work I will have to update the other two…�� But I will try the image manager again first!

Many thanks

Patrick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
    Many thanks for the quick response, much appreciated, sorry if my terminology isn’t correct. I should have taken a picture of the message with my phone, but at that point, I was losing it a bit! When I ran the imagemanager, I definitely picked the correct image, because I saw the SE listed (I also have an H9S and a H9.2H as I use client mode in different rooms) and know how critical this is. But maybe a fresh eye (and no wine lingering) will help. ��

Its not bootable, just the steady white light. One thing I didn’t mention was, that I know when I originally set up the box It booted from a microSD card, but I can’t remember if that was still the case, although the card was still in the unit. Should it be there when flashing or is it safest to remove it? I normally keep a 2tb hdd attached but this was removed as there is only one usb socket.

When I started the imagemanager and ran the update the black and white progress box appeared, it got half through the progress bar and produced a very short error, sorry I can’t remember the exact message…

Anyway, I will go and buy a couple of different 8gb USB sticks (most of mine are a lot bigger) and keep trying. Then if it does work I will have to update the other two…�� But I will try the image manager again first!

Many thanks

Patrick
    remove the sd card - just pop it out. That would probably cause an issue if inserted, as its kind of special.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Well, its finally worked on the H92S!

There seems to be an issue with HP Format tool stating the drive is read only. I tried a read only Kingston, got nowhere, maybe its corrupted. I then tried a PNY, Zgemma wouldn’t have it, then I found an 8gb Lexar which would allow the HP Format tool to work and it successfully reflashed the unit, backup reinstated and everything back as it was, channel lists, diseqc, fransat, German channels, freesat, the lot!

Thanks for your support and encouragement, much appreciated.

Now two more to go!

Best wishes and thanks again..

Patrick

Title
    Thanks
    Update, I was able to update the H9S using the same USB stick, the H9H wouldn’t have any of it. Fortunately the Image Tool worked worked perfectly…

All sorted for the moment, thanks again..

Pattick