Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Zgemma H7S 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 - LATEST VERSION V2 WITH REAR HDD SLOT" questions

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

"Zgemma H7S 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 - LATEST VERSION V2 WITH REAR HDD SLOT" questions

I have a Vu+ Duo 4K SE and I'm thinking of getting a "Zgemma H7S 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 - LATEST VERSION V2 WITH REAR HDD SLOT", possibly two, for Management to use instead of her Humax HDR1100S boxes so a couple of questions:

How many concurrent satellite recordings is the box capable of?

If I decide to record to one of my Synology NAS boxes what happens if two (or more!) boxes record the same programme to it?

If I use an internal SSD HD to record to on the Zgemma can the recordings be accessed by the other box(es)?

Are there any 'issues' with the Zgemma at the moment?

Anything else I should know?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    1) You can watch and record a number of channels accross TWO transonpoders and also the Terrestrial tuner if you connect a Terrestrial antenna feed.

2) No too sure on that one, depends if all the receiver give the recording the same name or not.

3) Yes you can mount the HDD if your other boxes are capable of a network mount.

4) Not that I'm aware of.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

digitl (01-04-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Food for thought.....
    You can have 8 independent tuners configured on your Duo 4K SE when you use the unicable LNB and it is correctly configured. If you decide to put a foreign satellite on one tuner, you can still have 7 tuners for 28.2. If you use the Zgemma in client mode, everything is done on the host receiver. The Vu's have an MTSIF tuner for terrestrial, it is a twin tuner. So maybe an MTSIF

On Terrestrial, all the main HD channels are on one multiplex, so you can simultaneously record/stream BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD, ITV 1 HD, Ch4 HD, Ch5 HD just using one terrestrial tuner.

I have got to 30+ recordings before I started getting hiccups. This was a universal LNB on an FBC tuner.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (03-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    One possible issue is that the AFAIK even the new version of the Zgemma H7 has only 1GB of RAM and current versions of OpenViX seem to be a tight fit.
    By default, there is a 256MB swap file, but it's a partition in the flash memory, so not a good idea to risk using it too much.
    My personal recommendation is to create another swap file (which will be used before the default one) on your local HDD or SSD. I use 512MB.
    Last edited by BrianG61UK; 03-04-24 at 01:24.
    Zgemma H7S, Fixed 28.2°E dish, Freeview (Hannington). ABM Providers: [Sky UK; Thames Valley SD Custom; HD swap], [Freeview (UK); Berks and North Hants]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianG61UK For This Useful Post:

digitl (03-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Food for thought.....
    You can have 8 independent tuners configured on your Duo 4K SE when you use the unicable LNB and it is correctly configured. If you decide to put a foreign satellite on one tuner, you can still have 7 tuners for 28.2. If you use the Zgemma in client mode, everything is done on the host receiver. The Vu's have an MTSIF tuner for terrestrial, it is a twin tuner. So maybe an MTSIF

On Terrestrial, all the main HD channels are on one multiplex, so you can simultaneously record/stream BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD, ITV 1 HD, Ch4 HD, Ch5 HD just using one terrestrial tuner.

I have got to 30+ recordings before I started getting hiccups. This was a universal LNB on an FBC tuner.
    My head hurts!

Having recovered, you've reminded me of a concern I've had for a while with the Vu+ tuner setup. You refer to 'independent tuners' but my box shows the satellite tuners to all be in slot 1, and seven of them as 'connected to tuner A' with six being 'virtual'. Is that correct? The image I've attached probably explains better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG61UK View Post
    One possible issue is that the AFAIK even the new version of the Zgemma H7 has only 1GB of RAM and current versions of OpenViX seem to be a tight fit.
    By default, there is a 256MB swap file, but it's a partition in the flash memory, so not a good idea to risk using it too much.
    My personal recommendation is to create another swap file (which will be used before the default one) on your local HDD or SSD. I use 512MB.
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Title
    Thanks
    That is the overview. You have to access each tuner to see the actual setting.

The Duo 4K SE has two tuner sockets. I presume you have only one FBC tuner card/module. The FBC card/module is 8 tuners. Two have physical connections and 6 do not have physical connections. You have not described the wiring/hardware, so I am guessing.

One possible physical/hardware setup:
    Unicable LNB to the top socket of that card ( this is Tuner A). No other signal sources
    Tuners B-H on that same card/module are all getting signal through tuner A

The software setup would be:
    Tuner A is NOT connected through another tuner. Set as advanced, unicable, with individual SCR
    Tuners B-H ARE connected through tuner A. Set as advanced, unicable, all with individual SCR

Another hardware posibility:
    Unicable LNB to the top socket of that card (this is Tuner A).
    A diseqc switch with 19.2/13e connected to bottom socket (this is tunerB)

The software setup would be:
    Tuner A is NOT connected through another tuner. Set as advanced, unicable, with individual SCR
    Tuners B set as simple, diseqc A/B, 19.2/13e
    Tuners C-H ARE connected through tuner A if you want to set them as 28.2, Set as advanced, unicable, with individual SCR

You could do only C-G as unicable
    Leave H as FBC automatic which should work as internal loopthrough for thr diseqc tuner when required.

There are pictures in the unicable guide

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (03-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that and my apologies for not providing the full story. I have a DVB-S2X card with two Unicables connected and a MultiType DVB-C/T2.

Title
    Thanks
    OK. 28.2 unicable LNB to tuner A. 19.2 Unicable LNB to tuner B.

Tuner A would be set as advanced, unicable, select manufacturer, select model/device, you only have 1 LNB on that tuner, select satellite (28.2), select SCR of that LNB

Tuner B (bottom slot of satellite card) has its own signal supply, it is not connected through another tuner. You also only have 1 LNB on that tuner. (Some people change that to LNB 2, that is wrong). select the other satellite (19.2), select SCR of that LNB. Remember this LNB is different to the one on tuner A, so SCR may be the same.

You now have 6 more tuners to configure. Decide how you want to split them. For arguments sake, lets do 50/50.

C, D, E will get signal through tuner A. You only have on LNB on that tuner, so LNB must remain 1. select manufacturer, device, select same satellite as tuner A (28.2) , set independent SCR for each tuner of those tuners. They are all connected through tuner A, so ensure that the option is enabled. Select tuner A as the one they are connected through.

E, F, G will get signal through tuner B. You only have on LNB on that tuner, so LNB must remain 1. select manufacturer, device, select same satellite as tuner B (19.2) , set independent SCR for each tuner of those tuners. They are all connected through tuner B, so ensure that the option is enabled. Select tuner B as the one they are connected through.

There is a guide to taking screenshots in my signature. If you cant see it owing to mobile view, link is here: https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...o-attach-files

For thoroughness, you can combine multiple Unicable LNBs on one tuner. But they have to be programmable. The programmers are not cheap. Will be cheaper to get a unicable switch that takes multiiple wideband LNBs such as the Whyte one. Keep an eye out on ebay, you sometimes get them pop up for less that £30. But as you said that you are buying other receivers, you might be able to use the tuners through the other receivers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (04-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'll have to read that a few times to get the best out of it. However, I'm a little confused as I've only got 28.2 on the one Unicable LNB?

Title
    Thanks
    Please rephrase what you mean by:
    I have two unicables connected.

I took it to mean you have two different unicable LNBs, pointing at two different satellites.

For each tuner configuration to be correct, it must match the hardware attached to each tuner. So it is important we understand the hardware you have.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (06-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Please rephrase what you mean by:
    I have two unicables connected.

I took it to mean you have two different Unicable LNBs, pointing at two different satellites.

For each tuner configuration to be correct, it must match the hardware attached to each tuner. So it is important we understand the hardware you have.
    Much of this is new to me so I'm unknowingly using descriptions that it appears are ambiguous at best! I have one dish with a unicable LNB and twin (shotgun?) cables connected to the Vu+. There's also a 'legacy' cable from the LNB that's connected but currently looking for a box to feed!

Title
    Thanks
    For the purposes of your original post in this thread, the zgemma will be independent and would be a good buy.

Without meaning to cause more confusion, can you please post a closeup picture of the LNB showing the wires. The cable that is in the lonely hearts section , is that also a shotgun cable or a single cable?

I don't wish to cause more confusion, sorry for doing so already. But, I suspect the Vu+ is configured incorrectly or one of the wires you thought was being used isn't actually being used. (All 8 tuners can work with just one cable, hence the name "uni cable"). Let us know if you want to pursue that further.

Is an aerial cable available where the Duo 4K is?
    Is an aerial cable available where the Zgemma going to be?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (06-04-24),Sicilian (06-04-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    For the purposes of your original post in this thread, the zgemma will be independent and would be a good buy.

Without meaning to cause more confusion, can you please post a closeup picture of the LNB showing the wires. The cable that is in the lonely hearts section , is that also a shotgun cable or a single cable?

I don't wish to cause more confusion, sorry for doing so already. But, I suspect the Vu+ is configured incorrectly or one of the wires you thought was being used isn't actually being used. (All 8 tuners can work with just one cable, hence the name "uni cable"). Let us know if you want to pursue that further.

Is an aerial cable available where the Duo 4K is?
    Is an aerial cable available where the Zgemma going to be?
    I hope the image of the LNB and its cable is what you are asking for.

It's led to several hours of checking and rechecking today as what I saw didn't match what I expected and what is connected to the Vu+ box. My usual installer didn't do the Unicable install and appears to have been less that competent as he connected both cables from the LNB to the two satellite connectors on the Vu+. Presumably that's why you thought I was looking at two satellites and had trouble figuring out what was going on! Once the box has finished recording I'll work out which cable is the Unicable and remove the other.

As for terrestrial aerial cables, yes there's a spare close to the Zgemma and the Vu+ is already connected. They both come from a multiswitch in the loft which is fed from a terrestrial aerial and a quad LNB on a second dish.

The lonely hearts cable is a spare from the multiswitch.

Fingers crossed I've not created more confusion and thanks for your patience!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to digitl For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (07-04-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Your comment saying you had "two unicables connected" is what threw me. There is nothing wrong with having a unicable signal supply as well as a legacy signal supply to one receiver. Wrong is having one physical setup and configuring it for something different, even if it works. As you have removed the universal cable and all 8 tuners work without issue, that should be fine.

As both cables from this dish with the unicable LNB go to the one location (where the Duo 4K SE) is, then it is no point considering using this unicable LNB. Unless you can tap into it. I have looked at your previous posts and cant find the make/model of your unicable LNB.

Your description of another dish and multiswitch opens up more opportunities. They are usually quattro LNBs though. Personally, I would have used a unicable/dscr switch in the loft instead of another dish. You can still change it if needed in future. It is fine as it is now. Have you got a diagram of the wiring for the coaxial cables?

As I understand of your setup where the Zgemma is, you can have one satellite tuner configured and one Terrestrial. If you set up fallback tuner, you will always be able to access more 28.2 tuners through the Vu+ when required.

Let see how you get on with the Zgemma.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

digitl (08-04-24)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast