Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: VIX Spinning Logo hang after update

Title
    Thanks

VIX Spinning Logo hang after update

Hi

I updated my OS online to newest release on 24-01-12. A few seconds after bootup, the system hangs with a spinning VIX logo. The only way to get out of it is to switch the box off and restart. Unfortunately, the same thing happens on restart unless I am quick enough to get into the Multiboot menu and select another slot (where I have a Teamblue image) before the box hangs.

Odd thing is I kept the older image in another slot and if I boot into this, it also goes into the spinning logo hang.

I can use my box with the current Teamblue image but cannot access either of the other boot slots without hanging.

Is there any way to reset the slot into which I put the newest image? If I do a complete delete of a slot I don't know I'd ever be able to rebuild my settings and channels!

I did take backups before the update and I think it was restoring these that caused the problem but not sure why.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnet View Post
    Hi

I updated my OS online to newest release on 24-01-12. A few seconds after bootup, the system hangs with a spinning VIX logo. The only way to get out of it is to switch the box off and restart. Unfortunately, the same thing happens on restart unless I am quick enough to get into the Multiboot menu and select another slot (where I have a Teamblue image) before the box hangs.

Odd thing is I kept the older image in another slot and if I boot into this, it also goes into the spinning logo hang.

I can use my box with the current Teamblue image but cannot access either of the other boot slots without hanging.

Is there any way to reset the slot into which I put the newest image? If I do a complete delete of a slot I don't know I'd ever be able to rebuild my settings and channels!

I did take backups before the update and I think it was restoring these that caused the problem but not sure why.
    So next time telnet into the box…..(e.g. via putty) then init 4 followed by enigma2 …so we can see what its hanging on… or crashed ..in which case there should already be a crash log on the box.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So next time telnet into the box…..(e.g. via putty) then init 4 followed by enigma2 …so we can see what its hanging on… or crashed ..in which case there should already be a crash log on the box.
    I understand what you're saying but not quite how I carry it out - I'm on a Mac. Putty doesn't run. Think I used to Telnet using Terminal but there's no recognised command any more. I know I have done it because I remember getting ssh errors locking me out... Can you point me to a simple app and the means of opening the connection - is it using the IP of the Enigma box?

So I reboot into the flawed Vix slot and let the box hang, then connect using Telnet and enter the init 4 command?

Where would I find a crash log?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    I understand what you're saying but not quite how I carry it out - I'm on a Mac. Putty doesn't run.
    Code:
    https://www.ssh.com/academy/ssh/putty/mac
    It also has a command-line ssh client.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    There are a couple of Mac options as Birdman has indicated.
    Once you have one of them installed, log in root & passwd
    Then enter init 4 (space between), followed by enigma2 which will run enigma in the terminal and you should see the log and if anything breaks.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    There are a couple of Mac options as Birdman has indicated.
    Once you have one of them installed, log in root & passwd
    Then enter init 4 (space between), followed by enigma2 which will run enigma in the terminal and you should see the log and if anything breaks.
    Thanks. I got Telnet Lite and have run it successfully on the working image. It's a slight pain to copy/paste the output as it only copies the visible window, not the entire log. Will try on OpenVix tomorrow.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. I got Telnet Lite and have run it successfully on the working image. It's a slight pain to copy/paste the output as it only copies the visible window, not the entire log. Will try on OpenVix tomorrow.
    If its a crash, normally in last page
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks

OpenVix restart hangs with spinning logo - here with log

If its a crash, normally in last page
    Thanks. Well it took me three attempts to get a log tonight. In the (working) TeamBlue image, I selected Multiboot and chose the later Vix option (slot 1). The box displayed Restarting but nothing happened. Repeat. Same.

So switched off box at mains and restarted. It rebooted in a VIX slot but, although seemingly on and on BBC1/Freesat, the TV and Telnet had no connection.

Switched off again and it restarted. This time, got a Telnet connection, did the Init 4 Enigma2 commands and got the following log. The box went to BBC for a short while then spinning Vix then hang.

Copy and paste took several operations as Telnet Lite only allows copy of the active screen and the scroll is imprecise! I've left a black line between each screenful to make it easier to spot if I missed out a line !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    Thanks
    If anyone saw anything in the log I can rectify easily, that would be great. As it is I cannot currently use OpenVix as both installations in slots 1 and 3 of my multiboot both hang within a minute after bootup. Currently able to use the TeamBlue image in slot 2, fortunately!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    I don't know why it is hanging. But can't you flash a new image in one of the partitions/slots with defective image? This will overwrite everything in it. After it reboots, do NOT restore settings or plugins. You can then add one thing at a time and hopefully find what is causing the issue.

BTW,
    On MAC's I think you have a built in terminal client. If so, assuming the IP address below, you would issue following:
    telnet 192.168.1.55

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Abu

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I updated the later OpenVix image online so, without access to an OpenVix boot, I'm not sure how I can reflash. I think it came up with "Backup is available, do you want to restore your settings", which I probably said yes to.

So do I need to revert to the old-style copy image to a USB and reboot with it in? Do I get to select the multiboot slot that image gets onto? Or do I have to select the slot I want prior to restarting the the USB stick in?

The thought of trying to work out which setting and add-in I have to find and restore one-by-one is not an appealing prospect, even assuming, I can select them one-by-one from the backup!

Re my Mac, I'm pretty sure I used your method to telnet to the box. I think I read somewhere that the Telnet client was removed from the latest OS - if I type telnet I get command not found. As I said, I was using an app called Telnet Lite, which is fine, apart from pausing every 10 minutes to encourage me to pay for the Professional edition!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up about Telnet.

I don't know what you mean by "update online". The two options are:
    You performed a software update.
    You flashed a newer image and restored settings/plugins

What I am proposing is that you flash a newer image and do NOT restore settings/plugins.

You can and extract the settings backup and manually restore things. I'd suggest you do that after you get Vix working on one of your partitions.

Info:
    When you perform a software update or flash an image using the menu on Vix, a settings backup is created. These are done so in case there is a problem with a particular newer image, you can flash an older image and restore things.

Action:
    Anyway, you should have an option to flash an image from within TeamBlue. If not, you can download flash an image by command line.
    I think this command still works. Best to stop enigma2 with an "init 4" command first.

wget --no-check-certificate -O installvix.sh https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...install_vix.sh && bash installvix.sh

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu

Yes, I performed a software update - meaning within the OS I did an update.

OK, over the weekend, I am going to see if I can load up an Openvix image from within Teamblue to one of the OpenVix multiboot slots. Presumably I download it and FTP it to the box first

If no go with that, I'll try your suggested command line over telnet. That Dropbox link is a current OpenVix image ready for the transfer right?

If I do not restore any settings from the backup, presumably I have to set everything up again from scratch - all channel lists, plug-ins, cams etc? I guess I can do this by switching to/from the TeamBlue image and reproducing what I have there.

I'll keep you posted! Thnks again

Title
    Thanks
    The dropbox link is just where Grog's flashing script is. Openvix downloads are here: https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/

Your settings backup is in /media/hdd/backup You can manually restore items from it. But best not to if you are having issues.