Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Help request to determine if tuner hardware is faulty Zgemma H7.S

Title
    Thanks

Help request to determine if tuner hardware is faulty Zgemma H7.S

I have posted on the openpli forum too, but no reponse, so posting here also,

I have had a zgemma h7.s for many years and have tried a few different builds. Not problems up to today. Tuners A and B receiving satellite feeds (astra) and Tuner C using T2 terrestrial feed from a saorview ariel. most recently using a OpenVix image,

Saturday, I was moving the box around, thought better of it and powered down the box while I was moving things. When I switched it back on, it was stuck on 49%. I removed the HDD and rebooted again and it powered up, but no channels were working, appearing greyed out in the channel list.

I thought best to scan, but was only seeing Tuner A there. I went into the menu System, Tuners and Scanning, Tuner Configuration and I only see one there - Tuner A;Si2168 (combined DVB-T2). I am sure this was previously addressed as Tuner C

I had been using an OpenVix image, but flashed open PLI that evening, and see exactly the same.

Even if a cable had become loose, faulty, and nothing appeared in scan, I can't see how the tuner doesn't even appear in the configuration menu, and so I am assuming there is a hardware fault I need a new box...

Was looking for some confirmation that is the case, of if I am overlooking a setting that could lead to this, please tell me so avoid wasting E120.

(have plugged the sat cable into the TV directly, and can see channels, so it's def at the box that the issue is.)

many thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Greyed out means they are not available. Post a screenshot on Menu - Information - Devices.

If tuners A and B are no longer visible, this is a hardware fault. Are they soldered on? If not, try resitting into slot.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 15-01-24 at 20:16. Reason: Hardware fault.

Title
    Thanks
    To get you sorted we would need to know how expert you are on using the box and are aware what a RECOVERY file is used for?? So can you say if you built the box from scratch ie configure tuners, set up ABM, and EPG? Where have you EPG located? When you say you tried a few different builds!! You mean images or versions of same build? Did you use multiboot or just reflash? Did you make backups? Have you a spare HDD and the one you used is it an SSD?

When you moved box did you depress white button at rear? Was it well ventilated?

I have 2 Zgemmas H7S and used with SAORVIEW. I don't get issues but help people who do.

If you can answer the above there may be a way to get you sorted. And finally do you mean £120.00 not €120?

NB Did you drop the box when moving it? very important.
    Last edited by bmitie; 15-01-24 at 21:14.

Title
    Thanks
    can't see the original Tuners A and B there. What is currently Tuner A on the menu is the combined tuner that I used for terrestrial and was marked as Tuner C.

Suspect it is a hardware fault, might open box and take a look. thanks

zgemma.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    thanks for reply,

def not an expert, can follow instructions though

yeah have build box from scratch before, didn't configure autotimers on the zgemma myself as great images available, but have done on an amiko alien box I had previously. Can't remember setting up a recovery file, but did keep a configuration backup from a recent open atv back up (I think willowbuild?) on the HDD. I can still access the file, but don't really care about this though, I'm happy to recreate.

have used images on the multiboot mostly, but on Sat pm, I reflashed via USB to put on the OPENPli image which is still on it now.

the external HDD I was using is an SDD I can still mount it via laptop/the zgemma and see the backup file if it's needed.

Yes, I powered down the box with the white button at the rear, it was well ventilated.

The box was NOT dropped, I was just moving it to the side to clean it, but the wires are all very taut and perhaps I had already unseated the satellite tuner jacks.

yep, probably do mean £120,

thanks for the help

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tko1 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (15-01-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Greyed out means they are not available. Post a screenshot on Menu - Information - Devices.

If tuners A and B are no longer visible, this is a hardware fault. Are they soldered on? If not, try resitting into slot.
    This youtube video shows the box with the covers off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNDz54FgP4

The tuners look as if they may be plugged into the mother board.

There is a good chance that tko1 may be lucky and pushing the tuner boards back into their socket will get them working again
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (16-01-24),tko1 (16-01-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Checking on OpenVix i see my tuners in DEVICES

Title
    Thanks
    The tuners are soldered to the board. Check the 2 sat inputs and look carefully at the 2 holes where sat cables go and make sure they are clear. Flashing via USB with a normal image is not advisable but not detecting sat tuner is a worry. Check the sat cables carefully before you re-connect and do with power off at rear. Take out any usb sticks. Leave HDD unplugged but internal is better anyway.

do this and if it still does not find sat tuners you ....ckd.

1. Go to openvix and use the file that says recovery emmc. 2. Flash as normal but you may have to hold buttons a bit longer and it may not flash on first attempt. 3. When is does it will revert box as new delete all old files and put on openvix, you can add images later to other slots. 4. Just configure as normal, from scratch.

with a bit of luck it works but..

PS You never said where you were saving EPG!!??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bmitie For This Useful Post:

tko1 (16-01-24)

Title
    Thanks

SOLVED - missing tuners redetected

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    This youtube video shows the box with the covers off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNDz54FgP4

The tuners look as if they may be plugged into the mother board.

There is a good chance that tko1 may be lucky and pushing the tuner boards back into their socket will get them working again
    thank you! pushed the tuner board back into the slot and bingo,all three tuners are detected again!

wasn't brave enough to open up the box till you posted.

was fairly sure it was not related to the image as issue occurred under one image and persisted after the reflash, but many thanks for the help too @bmitie.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tko1 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (16-01-24),adm (16-01-24),bmitie (16-01-24),cactikid (16-01-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Did you take pictures when lid was open? If so, please upload. Might help others in same situation.

Title
    Thanks
    Now that was a stroke of luck but for others can you add a bit more information.

1. Does your model have a slot in the rear for an SSD??. 2. When you say " pushed tuner board back into slot" Did you press down on actual tuner and was it evident it had become misplaced? 3. I have the model with SSD slot in rear and when I looked at sat tuner it appeared as if it was soldered to the board. 4. Why are you using a USB HDD??

Here is a pic of tuner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    This is a pic of the tuners in a H7C I took some time ago.
    These ones plug into a slot. Maybe the new ones are soldered?

H7C Tuners.jpg
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (16-01-24)

Title
    Thanks
    sorry, I didn't take a pic, insides looked the same as the pic there uploaded by @Willo3092

1. "Does your model have a slot in the rear for an SSD??." sorry - I don't know

2. "When you say " pushed tuner board back into slot" Did you press down on actual tuner and was it evident it had become misplaced?" not obviously misplaced but when I removed the silver back (facing forward in the pic above) , and pushed down on the board with the tuners, I felt some movement, which immediately gave me hope that was the issue.

3. "I have the model with SSD slot in rear and when I looked at sat tuner it appeared as if it was soldered to the board." it was the whole board itself that had slightly become unseated.

4. Why are you using a USB HDD?? because it's handy. not really a fan of opening boxes and messing with the guts to install memory. Have had no issues so far. Can quickly share media without accessing media server.

Sorry for slow reply, was so excited to get things back up and running. willobuild back up and running. it is the business.

thanks all

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tko1 For This Useful Post:

bmitie (17-01-24)