Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Satellite signal on New TV

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I think you need to turn on the debug log and download it attached to a post. You could try it with the Hanspree TV first, then the Sony.

Just to be clear - when you tune to a satellite channel, you can see the screen (Vix) user interface displayed on the new Sony TV, but the box is reporting "tune failed" or similar? If you go into the setup menu on Vix and use the Signal Finder it will tell you if it can obtain a lock on any of the transponders.
    If it's the case that the video to the TV drops out entirely when you select a satellite channel, then it's a resolution issue between the GB Trio (which is 4k capable) and the Sony. There may be an odd setting in the AV menu. Can you post a screenshot of the AV setup menu?

I re-read the thread and something is confusing me. You said you connected the sat cable directly to the TV and got no signal. The Sony W800 does not have a satellite tuner, only terrestrial DVB-T/T2.
    I had thought the W800 didn't have a SAT tuner as well based on the specs but there is a SAT connection at the back and the menus allow SAT tuning.
    No signal though when connected to the single SAT cable in the room

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dubrov For This Useful Post:

cactikid (19-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dubrov View Post
    It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
    I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.
    You didn't mention before now that the F connector had fallen off! In order for the LNB to work the sat box (or TV) has to provide 13v-18V up the cable and also pass a 22kHz tone to switch the LNB between high band / low band and between H and V polarisations. You won't get this reliably unless you have the centre core and shield connected via the plug and ensure there is no short. If the cable is too "fat", then you either have the wrong cable type or the wrong F-plug. Photos please!
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (20-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It could be the connection as the F connector has fallen off leaving the bare central wire exposed. On the old Tv this works fine putting it into the SAT slot on the Gigablue.
    I still have the F connector but it won't stay on with a shove as the cable is too fat. It doesn't give a signal on the new TV when held in anyway.
    If you have no F plug on the satellite down lead I'm not surprised that satellite doesn't work. On a universal LNB the cable supplies power from your box or TV to the LNB. The box/TV also sends control signal up the cable. For this to work both the central core of the coax cable must connect to the centre of the box/TV F connector and the screen(braid) must be connected to the outer screw of the box/TV f connector. A properly installed F plug makes these two connections reliably.

Just poking the wires into the f connector can result in three possible failure mechanisms
    i) you are not matching the characteristic impedance of the cable which can result in the loss of some frequencies
    ii) you just make one of the two connections - no power is delivered to the LNB.
    iii) you short out the output power and control signals from the box or TVs f connector. If you are unlucky you could cause electrical damage to your box or TV by doing this

How to put on a screw F connector to 6/7mm diameter coax cable
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm#fit
    Note: Satcure are no longer trading

Youtube description
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM
    Screw on F plugs can be obtained cheaply on Ebay or 100 off from the sponsor
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...type-connector

Ebay example
    Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204042399216
    Last edited by adm; 19-01-23 at 02:13.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ouch redo connections and follow the video for screwing on the F connector.

Photo be handy unless its a compressed fitting which wont go back on

Title
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I won't have any photos until the next time I am up there.

I think it is almost certainly the cabling but probably more than just the connector. I had a spare F connector and followed a guide to fit it. Unfortunately the wire was too thick to simply push it on but I could have used tape to keep it in place. I didn't bother as pushing the cable to keep it in place with my hand still gave no signal.

I gave up in the end and am getting a sat installer out on Monday to fix.
    The terrestrial signal is marginal too (can fail based on the weather) so I'll get them to fix that too.

I will report back on the final cause.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dubrov For This Useful Post:

cactikid (19-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You dont push it on as it has threads on the inside which should screw on , yes we will have to wait then.

Title
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I won't have any photos until the next time I am up there.

I think it is almost certainly the cabling but probably more than just the connector. I had a spare F connector and followed a guide to fit it. Unfortunately the wire was too thick to simply push it on but I could have used tape to keep it in place. I didn't bother as pushing the cable to keep it in place with my hand still gave no signal.

I gave up in the end and am getting a sat installer out on Monday to fix.
    The terrestrial signal is marginal too (can fail based on the weather) so I'll get them to fix that too.

I will report back on the final cause.
    I did offer to help...

As @cactikid says, you screw the F-plug onto the cable. The braid is folded back onto the outer cable sheath and the plug screws over this. If the plug won't screw on, then you are using the wrong cable (or possibly a slightly smaller than usual F-plug). Normal satellite cable (RG-6) or better still WF-100 will be just under 7mm in diameter and the F-plug threads will compress the braid onto it.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    You dont push it on as it has threads on the inside which should screw on , yes we will have to wait then.
    The original may have been a crimped or compression fit F plug, both requiring the correct tool for fitting and both unusable again once removed from the cable. The cable may have been 6/7mm in diameter [CT100, WF100, RG6] but the replacement F plug that dubrov had could have been for the thinner diameter WF65 cable now popular with dish installers.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (20-01-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Spare us all from crap cable! The race to the bottom of the junk pile.

I had a collection of regular screw in F-plugs, accumulated over the years. One was smaller diameter than the rest and would fit RG58 cable, but not regular CT100 or RG6. It may have been left around when Sky installed my first HD box back in 2006 or so. The installer was using shotgun cable at the time. I think that might be like the newer WF65 . I've only ever used CT100 or copper RG6 subsequently.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have loads around here also and i assume different colours on compression fitting are for different cables.

F connectors look all the same until you try them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (20-01-23)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    RG58 cable
    There must be a ham in the house?
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, it probably wasn't the right F plug for the cable. It wasn't big enough to fit over the outer sheath and even attempt to screw on.
    The cable is probably about 40 years old so I may see if the SAT installer can replace it and maybe add a second for redundancy to avoid future problems.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, it probably wasn't the right F plug for the cable. It wasn't big enough to fit over the outer sheath and even attempt to screw on.
    The cable is probably about 40 years old so I may see if the SAT installer can replace it and maybe add a second for redundancy to avoid future problems.
    If its 40 years old it's probably not even a 100% screened cable and it has possibly degraded a lot. It may also explain why the original F plug fell off. Ideally digital from either an aerial or satellite dish requires a better quality cable with 100% screening. A lack of proper screening in a down-lead can result in localised electrical interference getting into the cable and causing picture breakup.

The cable you have is very likely to be the type "D" mentioned in the following article. Note the article is probably 20+ years old and so prices are well out of date.
    Code:
    https://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    A satellite installer is more likely to install a twin WF65 cable these days
    Code:
    https://www.webro.com/tv-satellite/wf65-twin/
    probably the WF65 twin (al screen) rather than the more expensive Cu (copper) screen variant. While this does work for the majority of satellite installations if you have a marginal signal from your aerial it will be unsuitable for the aerial down-lead as it has too much attenuation and much more than the thicker CT100, WF100, RG6 type cable.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (20-01-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    40 year old thinking coaxial , always handy having twin sat cables in a roon to allow view and record.

Dare i ask what lnb and dish look like also.

Do you have another tv in the house that you might need sat feeds for then upgrade lnb to maybe a quad?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    There must be a ham in the house?
    Long time SWL and scanner fan Nowadays, feeder of ADSB data to t'internet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

ronand (20-01-23)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast