Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: problem with internet connection only in GUI

Title
    Thanks

problem with internet connection only in GUI

hi. for some time i try to solve very weird issue with internet connection in GUI. what i mean is.

box is connected to wifi/lan (i tried both options), internet is working 100% but:

1. i can do update in command line, when i SSH to box, but when i try to do it in GUI menu i get message there is no internet connection
    2. i can download and install plugins in command line when i SSH to box, but again, when i try to do it in GUI menu i get message there is no internet connection

i can however download images for flashing in GUI without any problem.

if it helps, im running pfsense as router with quad9 (9.9.9.9) as upstream dns, and pihole as lan dns. pihole doesn't block anything related to box connections. i'm convinced this setup in general doesn't cause issue as all connections are working in command line, it's only GUI issue.

any ideas? thanks in advance.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Hi,
    try disabling PiHole or look in the logfile when you tried update in gui. Some systems simply try to ping an address to see if internet is there. Most often www.google.com or something like this is used. If you block this address with PiHole you get this response. When you found a blocked address in PiHole white list it.

I also use PiHole as my local DNS and DHCP server with a bloklist of around 1.000.000 adresses and also had to whitelist quite a few to get everything running like I want it.

Ralf
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    hi. thanks for reply. pihole is not blocking google at all. you can ping and acces it on any device in network. also as i did mention before, pihole doesn't block any connection from box, all is green and allowed in logs.

forgot to mention. netwokr test in GUI pass without any problem, box is connecting to cam server without any preoblem as well. only plugins and update functions don't work in GUI.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    You seem to be getting error code -2.

The NetworkUp test in OnlineUpdateCheck.py is to open a socket to port 53 on 8.8.8.8. No DNS involved.

Alternatively, this is a production release and an attempt to retrieve http://openvix.co.uk/TrafficLightState.php resulted in an error that was neither HTTPError nor URLError.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD