Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen too large to fix nightly error message

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Screen too large to fix nightly error message

Hi everyone,
    System: VU+ Duo - with NVidia Shield attached, hardwired to our router - Windows 7

Every night at 23:05 hrs Swiss time, my OpenVix image shows a full screen, multiple line error message, something about Python. This has been happening since February.
    So I decided to update the image.
    To do this, I need to DreamBoxEdit (Windows 7, latest DBE version 7.2.0) to download my current settings as a backup. However, because we changed Internet providers since my last DBE backup, the IP of my VU+ Duo appears to have changed and DBE cannot connect to the VU+.

Here is the problem - I cannot read the full IP of our VU+ box because the screen display is too wide and cuts off all of the right-most part of the screen.
    I have tried changing the resolution and other settings of our Sony TV, changing the font size in one of OpenVix's menus to -2 but it still cuts off the right-hand edge of the screen. So I can't see the last three numbers of the IP.

I then used Fing on my IPad to see a list of IPs in use and it shows me the VU+ IP but tells me it is offline. (It is NOT offline, I am listening to the radio on it as I type.) The IP of that is still the one it used to be, but DBE can't connect to the VU+. I then tried the Shield's IP address but it still cannot connect.

So actually I need to know how to make the screen display in OpenVix smaller so that I can at least see the numbers etc down the right hand side !
    Can anyone suggest anything ?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Switching off overscan (may be called something similar) on your tv is the usual way.

You can also alter the OSD (menu/setup/user interface/skin setup) as a last resort.

OSD = On Screen Display
    Last edited by ccs; 01-05-22 at 16:03.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, ccs. I couldn't change anything on the OSD, i.e. there was nothing that I could see that was relevant. So I selected another image and that shows me the info boxes on the left, so at least I could check the IP, which was correct, but DBE is still not connecting.
    So I thought, OK, let me update the image, but it ((blue->4->Image Manager-> (yellow) Downloads) tells me "No images available on the selected download server ... if p" and the rest is cut off. (for OpenVix, OpenATV, OpenPli and OpenBh).
    I really want to get rid of that blasted error screen which appears every night.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Doesn't this help??

osd.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    DBE may not be able to connect to the VU+ because of a password error even if you have the IP address correct. On the VU+ go into the menu - Setup/Network. You will see an entry there called - Password. Enter a password for the box and use that in DBE.

As regards the menu and messages stretching beyond the screen boundaries, it does seem as if you have overscan set on the TV as suggested by @ccs. It's usually called "screen fit" or "just fit" or similar in the TV's video settings.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

deltec (01-05-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thankyou both of you. I found the correct "OSD Settings" and adjusted the screen, at least now I can see all of what I am supposed to see, including full lines on the EPG screens. Thankyou. Stupid of me to have overlooked that option..

Joe, re the DBE: The VU+ password is 100% correct, but I think that the problem is with the VU+ being connected via the Shield so it is not 100% directly connected to our LAN. At the moment the connection is as follows.
    Netgear Switch
    Socket 1 <- cable IN from router
    Socket 2 <-> cable OUT to Shield which in turn is connected to the VU+. (This cable is quite long because of the distance from the router to the VU+)

Our brilliant son-law has suggested that I buy a second Netgear Switch, and connect it as follows
    Socket 1 <- Cable IN = the other end of the cable in socket 2 above
    Socket 2 -> (new) short cable OUT to VU+
    Socket 3 -> (new) short cable OUT to Shield.
    He reckons that should work and overcome the DBE problem which is obviously having trouble with the VU+ being connected via the Shield.
    I will get a second Netgear Switch tomorrow, (I already have a boxful of LAN cables) rig it all up and will report back. What a lucky mother-in-law I am to have such a clever son-in-law....
    Thankyou both again !! Especially the pic of the screen adjustment page. I could not find Overscan or screen fit in my Sony TV Audio & Video.. settings. I had already changed the "Auto fit" setting but it didn't change the width when I was in the VU Options etc, so I changed it back again.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Adjusting the screen is a poor band aid. As previously advised you should turn off overscan on your TV You need to use the TV settings to do this. Google will help you for your sony tv.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkr001 View Post
    Adjusting the screen is a poor band aid. As previously advised you should turn off overscan on your TV You need to use the TV settings to do this. Google will help you for your sony tv.
    Screen format -> Full (or something like that).
    Assuming you have a flat-screen TV you should set this for common inputs (== everything). None will need an overscan.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe Full Pixel

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Also there were issues with DBE, so may depend on which version you have.
    Also why don‘t you backup up your settings with the ViX backup Manager and then online flash with ImageManager and restore the backup
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi everyone.
    Firstly, the TV screen setting. I have several options - Wide Zoom, Zoom, Normal, Full. When I switch it to Normal, the screen is extremely narrow and peoples' heads are much longer than they should be, cars are squashed together. I have tried "normal" combined with other settings, but "normal" always shows me a squashed screen. The only way I can see things as they should be, is when it is set to "Full".

Next - the backup / DBE / online flash etc. I could not access the internet at all on my box - I had already tried twol's suggestion of "then online flash with ImageManager" but it told me (as mentioned above) that there was nothing available on the selected (huh?) download server.
    That was apparently also the reason for my DBE problem. There was no connection to the VU+. I became increasingly convinced that it was because of the way that the VU+ box was connected.

So as son-in-law suggested, I bought a second Netgear switch today and rigged it up as follows. (The length of the cable is necessary because it needs to go up a 4 m high wall, along the ceiling of an 7m. L-shaped living room then down the wall to the TV/VU+ etc.)
    I just tested it and DBE worked straight away. The Shield works and the VU+ works. Their IPs have not changed.
    So now I just need to work out how to do the "online flash", as the updated versions have the endings "...usb.zip".

Netgear_Switch_setup.jpg

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Indeed the images have endings in usb.zip (confusingly) but dont worry about that. The image manager will automatically make a settings backup before flashing the new image and you will be prompted to restore them afterwards (assuming you have a storage device attached).

"Full" should probably be the correct display setting but without the exact model of the TV I can't be certain.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Firstly, the TV screen setting. I have several options - Wide Zoom, Zoom, Normal, Full. When I switch it to Normal, the screen is extremely narrow and peoples' heads are much longer than they should be, cars are squashed together. I have tried "normal" combined with other settings, but "normal" always shows me a squashed screen. The only way I can see things as they should be, is when it is set to "Full".
    The only thing you should set on a Sony flat screen is Full. I have no idea why they have a "Normal", as it isn't.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It's a Sony Bravia KDL-47W805A.

Ronand, thanks for reminding me about having a storage device attached. The VU+ doesn't seem to like large capacity USB sticks and it is very fussy about the maker's name (no cheapo Chinese stuff, thankyou), so I will see if I have a "small" one from a reputable company in my box (the last time I downloaded an image direct from the internet on my PC to a stick, it took 8 attempts with different sizes and makes of stick before it worked..)

Before I forget - that nightly error message I mentioned in my first post above did not appear tonight, so the new connection has apparently fixed that as well.

littlejim
    Quote Originally Posted by Helvetica View Post
    The VU+ doesn't seem to like large capacity USB sticks and it is very fussy about the maker's name (no cheapo Chinese stuff, thankyou), so I will see if I have a "small" one from a reputable company in my box (the last time I downloaded an image direct from the internet on my PC to a stick, it took 8 attempts with different sizes and makes of stick before it worked..)
    Are you sure it wasn't just that it didn't like them if they weren't formatted as FAT32 or Linux EXT4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast