Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: openvpn not working on Openvix 6 1 003 Release Vuduo4k

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Got the same problem on a Viper V20

Title
    Thanks
    I'm not a professional on this issue. What I know to the best of my knowledge is the system log, where it is quite clear that the so-called handshake is a problem. I enclose what I managed to get from my VU + Duo4K. I ask the developers to give me guidance on where to go when solving the problem. Thank you very much.
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: OpenSSL: error:0A0C0103:SSL routines::internal error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Best regards from Kdal...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdal22 View Post
    I'm not a professional on this issue. What I know to the best of my knowledge is the system log, where it is quite clear that the so-called handshake is a problem. I enclose what I managed to get from my VU + Duo4K. I ask the developers to give me guidance on where to go when solving the problem. Thank you very much.
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: OpenSSL: error:0A0C0103:SSL routines::internal error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
    Apr 2 11:16:41 vuduo4k daemon.err openvpn[2602]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Best regards from Kdal...
    A quick Google gives some trouble shooting

Code:
    https://www.sparklabs.com/support/kb/article/error-tls-error-tls-key-negotiation-failed-to-occur-within-60-seconds/

Title
    Thanks
    On a deeper analysis of the problem, I found the following: On the server, the openvpn version is older than on the client. The error is caused by the fact that the client (in our case Vix ver 6.1) requires handshakes by the protocol (OPENSSL 3.X) TLS v.1.3. Image Vix ver 6.0 had OpenSSL version 1.1.X and TLS v. 1.1.In conclusion : This is not an Image error, but an interpretation of SSL/TLS.My procedure will be : I will try to upgrade OpenSSL to version 3.X on the server side.
    Cheers, Kdal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kdal22 For This Useful Post:

twol (09-04-22)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Kdal, watching with interest, I def think you are on the right track here, and I'll explain why at the end.

I have had the same problem getting openvpn to work on 6.3.n, have finally made a breakthrough where I am running 6.3.5 with a working openvpn, but its not ideal as I am running an older version of openvpn (server side). I know some have not had this problem, and have also raised a ticket with my vpn provider, no response yet.

6.2.11 (last version working for me), is running openvpn 2.4.3, and the 6.3.n releases bring v 2.5.8 into play.
    I have now reflashed vix 6.3.5 and regressed openvpn to 2.4.3, via restoring the openvpn files from a 2.4.3 version. By the way this is on both a Vu Solo2 and a Vu Zero, same behaviours.

To check which openvpn you have, check the "status" file in var/lib/opkg, search for openvpn.

Belt and braces, I copied these files in from old to new. Probably only need a couple of these but not sure which. This worked a treat.

/etc/init.d/openvpn
    /etc/openvpn/openvpn.log
    /etc/openvpn/openvpn.stat
    /var/lib/opkg/info/openvpn.postrm
    /var/lib/opkg/info/openvpn.list
    /var/lib/opkg/info/openvpn.control
    /var/lib/opkg/info/openvpn.postinst
    /var/lib/opkg/info/openvpn.prerm
    /usr/lib/openvpn
    /usr/lib/openvpn/plugins/openvpn-plugin-down-root.so
    /usr/lib/openvpn/plugins/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/VpnManager/image/openvpn_logo_1920.png
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/VpnManager/image/openvpn_logo_1280.png
    /usr/sbin/openvpn

/var/lib/opkg/info/enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager.list
    /var/lib/opkg/info/enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager.prerm
    /var/lib/opkg/info/enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager.preinst
    /var/lib/opkg/info/enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager.control
    /var/lib/opkg/info/enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager.postrm

But back to SSL 3.0
    I have a theory that if vix developers were to embed openvpn v2.6.0, that would resolve the issue. This is the stable release with lots of bugfixes and support for OpenSSL 3.

See release notes at https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I think this commit should have fixed it https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-al...08bc94aca4dc3b

You can also try and add this line to your VPN configs

tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsayers For This Useful Post:

Albert_Swafega (01-04-23),stash36 (01-04-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    I think this commit should have fixed it https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-al...08bc94aca4dc3b

You can also try and add this line to your VPN configs

Thanks Dave, works perfectly!!

Just need a script now to add to all my ovpn files

Been bugging me for ages that i couldn't get it working.

Albert

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Something like this I did before to edit all .ovpn files in one folder

Code:
    for file in /hdd/OpenVPN/*.ovpn
    do
        echo "tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"" >> "$file"
    done
    Last edited by dsayers; 01-04-23 at 18:51.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    Something like this I did before to edit all .ovpn files in one folder

Code:
    for file in /hdd/OpenVPN/*.ovpn
    do
        echo "tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"" >> "$file"
    done
    I found i was getting run errors down to the double inverted commas i think.

Worked once i changed to...

for file in /media/hdd/Digibit2/*.ovpn; do echo "tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"" >> "$file"; done

However, as it added after the certificate in my Digibit ovpn file, it appears to be ignored and won't connect.

The ones i've manually added the line above the certificate work fine...

Thanks again though for the FIX!!

Albert

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Bit of a late reply, only just sorted this openvpn problem on my machine, never got this sec level change working previously.
    Anyway, if it helps anyone, the edit to change all your vpn config files at once is below. This will edit all files in the current folder, if it has a line starting mssfix, it will drop the new line in before that, which is working for me.

sed -i '/mssfix/s/^/tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0"\n/' *

eg. file now shows as...

client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    remote xxx.xx.xxx.xxx xxxx
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    tun-mtu 1500
    tun-mtu-extra 32
    mssfix 1450
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    auth-user-pass
    comp-lzo
    reneg-sec 0
    verb 3
    <ca>

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stash36 For This Useful Post:

twol (23-09-23)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Apols, double post
    Last edited by stash36; 23-09-23 at 13:48. Reason: Dbl post

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    hi, so I have the same issue as many with openvpn. And I see your answer tls-cipher "DEFAULT:@SECLEVEL=0". But the problem I have is that I can update the client.conf in /etc/openvpn but whenever I restart the nordvpn service it overwrites the client.conf. And I have done a chmod on the file to stop write access but when I check again the permissions are back to read write. I know you had mentioned putting all the configs on the hdd and I can do this and I can also update the files with your line thanks to the help of you all but at the end of the day enigma2 looks for client.conf in /etc/openvpn so how do I redirect it to /hdd/vpn and how can I show it which file is appropriate for which nordvpn server as all these files are named differently based on that server. Thanks a million. This is driving me nuts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12