Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Autotimers and Description Uniqueness

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Some might say that "1970s" is correct for series 2 seeing as it was released in 1970. You're never going to please everyone anyway
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    Some might say that "1970s" is correct for series 2 seeing as it was released in 1970. You're never going to please everyone anyway
    Not the type of knowledge you might expect to need when setting up autotimers, particularly when they're all being broadcast 50 years later.

It just shows that autotimers are "best endeavours", working most of the time, but need monitoring to avoid disappointment.
    Last edited by ccs; 12-09-20 at 18:39.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Daft example (Two in Clover, mentioned earlier), but the description (wrongly) changes between series 1 and series 2...
    Wrongly in what way?
    Series 1 went out in 1969 in black and white, series 2 in 1970 in colour.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianTheTechieSnail View Post
    Wrongly in what way?
    Series 1 went out in 1969 in black and white, series 2 in 1970 in colour.
    I think we've already established that.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Not the type of knowledge you might expect to need when setting up autotimers, particularly when they're all being broadcast 50 years later.

It just shows that autotimers are "best endeavours", working most of the time, but need monitoring to avoid disappointment.
    Why would you need to know?
    You recognise that it's "Two in Clover" from the title.
    Why would you be checking descriptions if you don't want them to be different for each episode?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Why would you be checking descriptions if you don't want them to be different for each episode?
    I thought descriptions were what you were trying to sort out, make your mind up.

I'm testing the attached modified AutoTimer.py on my box at the moment.
    I'm hopeful that it fixes the Two in Clover problem and a few other possible problems too.
    Last edited by ccs; 12-09-20 at 19:05. Reason: Not sure why I'm bothering

BrianTheTechieSnail
    I thought descriptions were what you were trying to sort out, make your mind up.
    Engage brain.
    Read slowly and carefully.
    I'm not trying to fix the descriptions so they read correctly.
    I'm trying to make it so that the descriptions that only change slightly can still be used to tell different episodes apart.
    For that purpose it doesn't matter if the descriptions for some episodes are changed a lot in a funny way or even in to Klingon, they're still changed and can be used to recognise that it's a different episode.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Engage brain.
    Read slowly and carefully.
    I'm not trying to fix the descriptions so they read correctly.
    Engage brain - I'd already said that I hadn't realised that the second series started in February 1970.

You're either working on descriptions or you're not.

If you want people to help then you need be a bit more diplomatic, not your strong point it seems.
    Last edited by ccs; 12-09-20 at 19:21.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Engage brain - I'd already said that I hadn't realised that the second series started in February 1970.

If you want people to help then you need be a bit more diplomatic, not your strong point it seems.
    You need to be prepared to try and explain when you say something meaningless and inexplicable and not ignore questions.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Deep breath people

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You need to be prepared to try and explain when you say something meaningless and inexplicable and not ignore questions.
    What was meaningless and inexplicable??

BrianTheTechieSnail
    What was meaningless and inexplicable??
    Saying that you needed to know that series two was labelled as 1970s and series one as 1960s if you want to set up an autotimer?
    When I asked you why you needed to know you just snapped at me.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Saying that you needed to know that series two was labelled as 1970s and series one as 1960s if you want to set up an autotimer?
    When I asked you why you needed to know you just snapped at me.
    This whole thread is about using descriptions to set autotimers, I was ridiculed a day or two ago for saying I didn't use them, or could manage without them.

You said "Two in Clover" had a problem with descriptions which you thought you had sorted, I summarised those descriptions.

I use descriptions all the time to get series details, and work out my patented autotimers.

You suggested that I don't need to, not me.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post

Please explain what situation when setting up autotimers using descriptions would require you to realise that series one is described as 1960s and series two as 1970s.

BrianTheTechieSnail
    This whole thread is about using descriptions to set autotimers, I was ridiculed a day or two ago for saying I didn't use them, or could manage without them.

You said "Two in Clover" had a problem with descriptions which you thought you had sorted, I summarised those descriptions.

I use descriptions all the time to get series details, and work out my patented autotimers.

You suggested that I don't need to, not me.
    I'm sorry you feel you were or were ridiculed.

I set up some autotimers without using descriptions too.
    In some cases it does seem like the simplest way and does work.

In some other more awkward cases it seems to me the simplest way to try to avoid making duplicate recordings without missing the chance to record an episode I don't already have seems to me to be to use descriptions.

The autotimer options that mention descriptions seem to offer the option to not make a recording if it's description isn't unique among existing timers and recordings but annoyingly it also doesn't record different episodes where the description only changes very slightly, say only a digit changing near the end of the description.

That's really the main thing I wanted to try and fix.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast