Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: OpenWebif & Apple Mac

Title
    Thanks

OpenWebif & Apple Mac

Hi,

Using an Octagon SF8008, with which I'm pretty happy. I have a Mac Mini (not very new), running MacOs Mojave 10.14.6

Webif seems to have a limitation on an Apple Mac, slightly different depending on which browser you use:

On Safari, one cannot stream a channel within the web browser window. If either of the 'viewing' buttons (screen or mobile) beside a channel/programme is pressed, a new tab opens but nothing plays. Manually copying the address of the tab into VLC as a network stream will play the channel. The on-screen 'remote' can be used to navigate menus and an image capture appears in the main window.

On Firefox, I can configure it to launch VLC externally and view a programme. Again, the on-screen 'remote' can be used to navigate menus and an image capture appears in the main window.

I don't like Chrome but downloaded it to see how it behaved. In its default mode, it downloads a file when either TV programme button is pressed. That 'file' if clicked, initially opened iTunes but I've persuaded it to open VLC now, so it works more or less as Safari. Again, the on-screen 'remote' can be used to navigate menus and an image capture appears in the main window.

Is the behaviour of these browsers what is expected on a Mac, or am I missing something in the ViX or browser setup which would allow any of them to open the stream within the browser?

Thanks for any views

Tony

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Is the behaviour of these browsers what is expected on a Mac, or am I missing something in the ViX or browser setup which would allow any of them to open the stream within the browser?
    Each of these browsers is a separate program/application. It's up to the browser what to do when presented with a response of any particular mime type.
    I suspect each of these is separately configurable as to what to do. (In Firefox it's in Preferences/Options under the General tab).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks. I realise they are all separate, which is why I tried the various options.

Firefox is the one I can configure to launch VLC but there is no option to stream within the window for that media type.

I suspect it's a security thing, as the browser extensions/plug-ins have mostly been removed, certainly for use with Safari.

I'll be able to live with it. I haven't got a Windows or a Linux machine to see whether it is any different on there.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    I'll be able to live with it. I haven't got a Windows or a Linux machine to see whether it is any different on there.
    Assuming you're talking about the WebTV part of OpenWebIF my Firefox on Linux just issues a status request (for the current channel info) every 15s regardless of anything I click on the WebTV page.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

tonyl (30-05-20)