Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Deep Standby prevented when a background is running.

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No

Thread: Deep Standby prevented when a background is running.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts

Deep Standby prevented when a background is running.

Minor issue but annoying none the less. - I know it's unlikely to happen, but I've seen it twice in the last week!

I set most timers to go to deep standby when finished - particularly the last ones of the day. This ensures the box is not left on when not being used.

If a background job is running when the timer ends, in particular autotimer, a dialogue pops up which requires user intervention.

"Backgound job running, autotimer, 47% complete - really shut down now? Yes/No" or something similar.

This remains until I spot it, which could be 18 hours later.

Any chance of this changing to a count down popup, defaulting to yes (bearing in mind autotimer will more than likely have finished after 120 seconds anyway)?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    This commit was written to prevent deep standby when not wanted, and very handy it is, now I'm after deep standby when it is wanted.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    This commit was written to prevent deep standby when not wanted, and very handy it is, now I'm after deep standby when it is wanted.

Hmmm....that was me.
    I'll take a look, but can't test anything for ~a week.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (18-03-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Any chance of this changing to a count down popup, defaulting to yes (bearing in mind autotimer will more than likely have finished after 120 seconds anyway)?
    It really needs a short(ish) timeout, but a repeat on "no response" (so that at some point it runs again and, that time, hopefully succeeds).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Hmmmm.... This is all to do with TryQuitMainLoop. I seem to recall fixing(?) some code somewhere because this returned when the code wasn't expecting it to. But I can't find it (so may be wrong).

However, in the meantime you can disable the pop-up in such circumstances (and hence enable the shutdown) by disabling the Task warning on shutdown option in the Customize settings menu.
    It presumably can't do any harm, as if the box is already in Standby it shuts down with no prompt anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ccs (17-03-20)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Hmmmm.... This is all to do with TryQuitMainLoop. I seem to recall fixing(?) some code somewhere because this returned when the code wasn't expecting it to. But I can't find it (so may be wrong).
    No, I was right:
    https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/187
    Not sure it helps here, though.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post

However, in the meantime you can disable the pop-up in such circumstances (and hence enable the shutdown) by disabling the Task warning on shutdown option in the Customize settings menu.
    It presumably can't do any harm, as if the box is already in Standby it shuts down with no prompt anyway.
    Thanks, I hadn't noticed that option before.
    I assume that autotimer runs when the box is in standby, and it certainly appears to be be robust enough not to corrupt the xml file if terminated unexpectedly.
    Plenty of my timers will have run in standby, and I've never seen any problems with autotimer.

I assume that "a recording is about to start/due soon" (or whatever the wording is) is not classed as a "pending background job" ??
    Last edited by ccs; 17-03-20 at 22:25.

Title
    Thanks
    I assume that "a recording is about to start/due soon" (or whatever the wording is) is not classed as a "pending background job" ??
    From a quick look and a bit of guessing, what happens there is that the default answer for the pop-up is False.
    (the code is in Screens/Standby.py).
    It seems to me that this piece of code needs 3 options, Yes, No and retry in <n> mins.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Disabling the Task warning on shutdown option has the desired effect for autotimer.

Warnings are still given for recordings about to start/running, which is what you'd want.

A warning is still given if you're in timeshift - I never use it, but once in a while finger trouble starts it off, so I get the same issue with failure to go into deep standby when timers finish unattended.

Is this avoidable?

Title
    Thanks
    A warning is still given if you're in timeshift - I never use it, but once in a while finger trouble starts it off, so I get the same issue with failure to go into deep standby when timers finish unattended.

Is this avoidable?
    Only by changing the code (there's no configurable option).

I'm not sure why being in timeshift should ever prevent such a shutdown (surely it's no different to manually switching to Deep Standby?)
    But then I never use timeshift, so may be missing something (and I don't mean missing a programme because of not using timeshift!).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ccs (18-03-20)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ..... manually switching to Deep Standby produces the same timeshift dialogue (4 options, I think) as a recording finishing and going to deep standby.