Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Build my own Vix image

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    That makes sense now. I've never had a site.conf to update unless I save one somewhere or run a build first.

BB_NUMBER_THREADS, PARALLEL_MAKE set to number of threads supported by the CPU

Is this best left as 8 which seems to be default? I think the box is quite low spec by today's standards.

Attachment 65348

My current build has failed at about 48% so doing better than before.
    I seem to remember having the same problem before at some point

ERROR: Task (virtual:native:/mnt/vix/build-enviroment/meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-devtools/nodejs/nodejs_16.18.1.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
    I don't think you have enough ram for today's image, unless you cut some things. Maybe try in site.conf.:
    BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "4"
    PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 4"

Granted it will take about double time to build like this, but cutting back might make it easier on the build machine.

I have ancient computer for image building. It's just a little better equipped with dual cores and about 64GB ram. 16GB of ram may not be quite enough anymore. Seems 16GB was the minimum standard for image building years ago? Shown below is a screencap of top, and then another window inside showing the image build in progress. The computer ram is being drained with only two processes. Qtwebengine and Kodi is all that is running in the build. All other tasks on the computer are idling.

Screenshot from 2023-05-06 19-40-41.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    On OE-A 5.2/5.3., if you build everything, I have frequently seen over 24GB ( that was just compiling 2 elements QT and something else) in use and once hit 32G….. I think the read.me says 24GB ….so you guys need a swap
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,958 Times in 3,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LraiZer View Post
    Read as reference to post #581

The ld linker stage is a monster memory hog and you can bypass building nodejs simply by uncommenting #STATIC_FEED = "1" in openvix.conf

no need for any oe-alliance-feeds.bbappend shenanigans as mentioned in post #580
    The .bbappend method predates the existence of static feeds, which is why it is in this thread, but agreed, your method is simple.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

BrianG61UK (16-06-23),santino (05-11-23)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Hi all, the build has now completed successfully, thank you all for the help

I think my main problem was that the filesystem was corrupted so formatting the drive has sorted that.
    Uncommenting the line in openvix.conf also increased the build speed significantly

I have also edited the site.conf so that feeds build with the correct address of my server.

I have upgraded the ram in my linux box to 16gb which is the maximum it will take and created an 8gb swap file.
    This will have to do until I can afford something better!

Thanks everyone for all the help, it's very much appreciated
    Willo
    #######################
    AX HD61 4K UHD Twin (test box)
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    GT-Sat GT-S3DCSS24 Unicable II LNB
    GT-Sat GT-dLNB1-DY Unicable II LNB
    #######################

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

Valiant (08-05-23)

Title
    Thanks
    I think your swap file needs to be at least the size of your RAM, and some sources say it should be three times the size. This applies to Windows, I don't know the recommendations for Linux.
    VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin FBC Tuner 1TB HDD - Magic-FHD skin
    TV - LG OLED55CS6LA
    Remote - Logitech Harmony One

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (08-05-23)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I put ubuntu on a spare partition on my main box yesterday and current spec is 32gb ram and 12gb swap and it's building okay.
    Willo
    #######################
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    #######################

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    I think your swap file needs to be at least the size of your RAM, and some sources say it should be three times the size. This applies to Windows, I don't know the recommendations for Linux.
    I would recommend never needing to use swap (it's actuallly paging) at all.
    But adding some "just in case" is useful. I usually add about as much as I have RAM - on the grounds that I always have more disk-space than I really need anyway. But when i was running systems with 512GB (~10 years ago) RAM they only had a small amount, as they didn't have much local disk space.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Should we be using branch 5.3 now or still 5.2

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lincsat View Post
    Should we be using branch 5.3 now or still 5.2
    I've just built an image for my Dinobot with 5.3

2023-05-08_153810.jpg
    Last edited by Willo3092; 08-05-23 at 16:44.
    Willo
    #######################
    Vu+ Uno 4K SE
    Edision OS Mio 4K
    Zgemma H9 Twin
    Vu+ Zero 4K
    Vu+ Uno 4K
    #######################

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    On OE-A 5.2/5.3., if you build everything, I have frequently seen over 24GB ( that was just compiling 2 elements QT and something else) in use and once hit 32G….. I think the read.me says 24GB ….so you guys need a swap
    There is no one fixed amount of RAM you need to build OpenViX.
    It depends on some values in your site.conf file which, if you don't change them, seem to get set according to the number of logical processors your development system has.

These are the default values on my, rather ancient, development system:
    Code:
    BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "4"
    PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 4"
    The first one says run up to 4 bitbakes in parallel. The second one says that certain things that bitbakes may do (compilation mainly I think) can use up to 4 threads.
    However you don't need both things to happen together for all your logical processors to be busy. Just one bitbake using 4 threads will keep my 4 logical processors busy.
    Similarly so will 4 bitbakes running in patrallel each only using 1 thread.

The default values are intended to try and ensure that all your logical processors are busy as much as possible so that big builds get done as quickly as possible.

The maximum amount of RAM you need during a build, (or might need if the most complex parts happen to be being built at the same time) is, I think, proportional to the product of the two numbers.

However, if you are running out of RAM (or of RAM + swap) there is a fair amount of scope to reduce these values without it actually slowing the build down too much. Likewise, if your build is slow because of a lot a swapping you can reduce these values and your build may actually speed up.

I find that reducing the PARALLEL_MAKE value really doesn't slow things as much as you would think, so you can reduce that down, even down to 2 and the effect on long builds is not as much as you would think.

The BB_NUMBER_THREADS value can be reduced too, but I think that slows things down more than reducing PARALLEL_MAKE.

If you have enough RAM then increasing BB_NUMBER_THREADS may actually make things go a little faster by making it so less of the time waiting for disk I/O is wasted.
    Last edited by BrianG61UK; 08-05-23 at 21:27.
    Zgemma H7S, Fixed 28.2°E dish, Freeview (Hannington). ABM Providers: [Sky UK; Thames Valley SD Custom; HD swap], [Freeview (UK); Berks and North Hants]

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrianG61UK For This Useful Post:

el bandido (08-05-23),santino (05-11-23),Valiant (09-05-23),Willo3092 (08-05-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG61UK View Post
    Similarly so will 4 bitbakes running in patrallel each only using 1 thread.
    Not true.
    When these processes are doing fetches they will not be using much CPU at all.

The default values are intended to try and ensure that all your logical processors are busy as much as possible so that big builds get done as quickly as possible.
    Actually they ensure that it won't be done as quickly as possible, since overloading the run queue is inefficient.
    What they do is ensure that it will be run reasonably quickly unless you know better.

I find that reducing the PARALLEL_MAKE value really doesn't slow things as much as you would think, so you can reduce that down, even down to 2 and the effect on long builds is not as much as you would think.

The BB_NUMBER_THREADS value can be reduced too, but I think that slows things down more than reducing PARALLEL_MAKE.
    Quite likely to be true in general.
    Running two makes on one thread each serially (when you have two processors) will be quicker than running them on two threads in parallel as threads are not 100% efficient. (assuming the I/O content is minimal).
    There is a reason why Intel made Xeon processors for HPC that did not have any hyper-threading ability. (The tests I ran confirmed it).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Not true.
    When these processes are doing fetches they will not be using much CPU at all.
    Use a fast SSD if you can. Have some extra threads going, but not a massively high number compared to your number of logical processors.
    Does waiting for I/O even count as running?

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Actually they ensure that it won't be done as quickly as possible, since overloading the run queue is inefficient.
    What they do is ensure that it will be run reasonably quickly, unless you know better.
    So maybe I'm right that lower values could be a good idea, but not for the reason I thought?

Quite likely to be true in general.
    Running two makes on one thread each serially (when you have two processors) will be quicker than running them on two threads in parallel as threads are not 100% efficient. (assuming the I/O content is minimal).
    There is a reason why Intel made Xeon processors for HPC that did not have any hyper-threading ability. (The tests I ran confirmed it).[/QUOTE]

Is this bit just about hyper-threading (and whatever the AMD equivalent is called)?
    I deliberately ignored the possibility of hyper-threading to simplify things, but I do know more or less what it is and how it works and sometimes doesn't improve things. A lot of the go faster stuff in modern processors has cases where it actually makes things worse.

Anyhow main point still stands: There is no one fixed amount of RAM you need to build OpenViX.
    Even with default settings, I can easily build with my 12GB RAM on my little system at more or less the full speed it can achieve.
    If you have a huge threadripper you'll need way more RAM to get the best out of it for building OpenViX.
    Last edited by BrianG61UK; 09-05-23 at 02:36.
    Zgemma H7S, Fixed 28.2°E dish, Freeview (Hannington). ABM Providers: [Sky UK; Thames Valley SD Custom; HD swap], [Freeview (UK); Berks and North Hants]

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG61UK View Post
    Does waiting for I/O even count as running?
    Not in terms of top displaying the load average (as it's not on the run queue), but it does count as a process slot to bitbake.

Title
    Thanks
    I built images some years ago with 8GB of ram, but had problems with it. Upgrading to 16GB of ram helped, and I finally ended up installing 32GB of ram into the computer. But that was some years ago and the requirements for building a complete image and feeds were much less than today.

Today there are some 16000+ processes that need to be done to build a complete OE image with feeds. Now I have an old dual core computer for image building with 64GB of ram installed. My default site.conf. using this computer is 32:
    BB_NUMBER_THREADS = "32"
    PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 32"
    At some points in the build 32 tasks can be running at the same time without using a lot of ram. At other times, two or three tasks can be running at the same time, and most of the 64GB of ram will be used. I could probably upgrade to 128GB of ram with this computer and see some improvement. Nodesj, QTwebengine, Kodi, and a few others eat ram when being built.

I could remove 48GB of ram from this computer and build a complete OE image with feeds using only 16GB of ram by making a few adjustments. So yeah, you can probably use almost any amount of ram to build an image with feeds. But up to a certain point, the more ram you have, the faster and smoother the build will be.

Also, having a computer that can build an image with up to 32 tasks at a time is nice, but it is misleading. There are many points in the image build where 32 tasks are not being done because we are waiting for other tasks to finish. A faster, better equipped computer that builds with only 16 tasks could easily beat it.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe a silly question but would I need to change anything to build 6.4 instead of 6.3 or will it automatically build the new version when available?

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast