Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto-Timer v Timer

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    As far as I can gather, the rest of the community are quite happy with things the way they are.
    It's not just ViX, every E2 image uses timers and autotimers as far as I know.
    You will find builds where people have changed the names to record and record series so it would be easier to use someones build if you like.

Title
    Thanks
    To clear this up for everyone:
    The Green button "Add Timer", by default, records a single event one time.
    The
    Blue button "Add", by default, records that event at the same time every week.
    So the Green button can be thought of as
    "Record".
    and the Blue button can be thought of as "Record Weekly".
    however both options are fully customisable and can be used for zapping and recordings at any time on any channel etc.

Now let me ask you this question. Would it be clearer and appear more simple to have the additional options hidden behind drop-down menus? By default the options would appear something like this:
    Green button "Single Recording - Event name, Time and date, more options drop-down"
    Blue button
    "Record Weekly - Event name, Day of the week/time, more options drop-down"

This would leave the whole current system intact while making it appear much simpler for everyday users giving them the option to dive into the additional options if they so wish.
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 22-01-19 at 12:40.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    99.9% of my epg timers are green+green, 99% of my autotimers are blue+green+green, I find that simple and clear enough.

I can change the autotimer defaults to suit my needs.

You appear to be fighting a losing cause, you'd be better building your own system if it so important for you, rather than changing a well established interface already used by 10's of thousands of users.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (22-01-19),Willo3092 (22-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    99.9% of my epg timers are green+green, 99% of my autotimers are blue+green+green, I find that simple and clear enough.

I can change the autotimer defaults to suit my needs.

You appear to be fighting a losing cause, you'd be better building your own system if it so important for you, rather than changing a well established interface already used by 10's of thousands of users.
    so 99% of the time you don't need to see any of the additional options?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EGGMANCAN View Post
    But they're there as a reminder if I do need them.
    Why hide them away?

Title
    Thanks
    But they're there as a reminder if I do need them.
    Why hide them away?
    why scare regular users away by making it appear more complicated than it needs to be?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I see all the options 99% of the time and chnge them to suit what i want recorded in the future. This is the way I choose to use my box however I record very little that is actaully broadcast at the same time, same channel every week.
    Last edited by adm; 22-01-19 at 14:12.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    why scare regular users away by making it appear more complicated than it needs to be?
    You're too easily scared - just get on and use it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing. Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way.
    I suspect that there may be 10.000s of regular users of the OpenVix image that are not scared by the use of the term Autotimer.

I came from a box where the automatic search and timer setting facility was more comprehesive in its operation than that provided by Autotimers and I personally have no problems with the terminolgy that the writers of OpenVix have chosen for Autotimers.

I assume that you are aware that an autotimer can be edited for a one time programme that hasn't yet been broadcast for the first time and will be in an unknown timeslot some time in the future . How does this fall in with your renaming convention - its NOT a series record, nor is it weekly?
    Last edited by adm; 22-01-19 at 14:16.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

EGGMANCAN (22-01-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    What about pressing the record button?

Title
    Thanks
    You're too easily scared - just get on and use it.
    you're missing the point. how can you expect somebody that lives in the same house as you to know how to use the television when you are not around to be "Mr IT support"?

what if they want to record an event? is it fair to force them to learn some 'insider' technical lingo just to set a simple recording which they can do no problems on the standard boxes? why make a box just for one person when it can be designed to suit other peoples needs too? or do you prefer coding in binary? if so let's just scrap python i mean you can learn how a computer interprets binary code right?
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 22-01-19 at 19:57.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing. Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way.
    I suspect that there may be 10.000s of regular users of the OpenVix image that are not scared by the use of the term Autotimer.

I came from a box where the automatic search and timer setting facility was more comprehesive in its operation than that provided by Autotimers and I personally have no problems with the terminolgy that the writers of OpenVix have chosen for Autotimers.

I assume that you are aware that an autotimer can be edited for a one time programme that hasn't yet been broadcast for the first time and will be in an unknown timeslot some time in the future . How does this fall in with your renaming convention - its NOT a series record, nor is it weekly?
    Ok why not make the Record button on the remote show "Single Recording" and "Weekly Recording"? Tell me what user technical or not presses a record button to set a zap timer?

and that answers your second question. If the Timer functions are separated from the Recording functions then the naming convention works no problems.

"Your suggestion for a naming convention may persuade users coming from boxes with a basic automatic search facility that OpenVix is also limited in it's functionality in the same way." wouldn't the "more options..." tell you that there are.. more options?

"But your proposed terminology doesn't actually describe what Autotimers are fully capable of doing." the word AutoTimer does not mention Record in any way. A timer actually does nothing in-itself. A timer is just that, a countdown. It's the additional functionality that gets executed when the timer has ended that is what it should be named as. For example at the end of the timer it can show a notification. A Notification timer.
    Last edited by EGGMANCAN; 22-01-19 at 20:16.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    you're missing the point. how can you expect somebody that lives in the same house as you to know how to use the television when you are not around to be "Mr IT support"?
    Maybe you've made the wrong choice?

I can't think of anyone who has made such a fuss about anything and everything- even my mum managed well into here 90's without the issues you seem to have.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Tell me what user technical or not presses a record button to set a zap timer?
    Mrs Willo for a start! She's a proper technophobe but she soon learned how to get the TV to turn onto Coronation Street automatically, usually when I'm watching something else.
    If I were you I would just accept that timers do much more than just recording and accept that ViX aren't going to change the names and neither will ATV, Pli or any other E2 image.
    Last edited by Willo3092; 22-01-19 at 20:04.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    What about pressing the record button?
    pressing the "Record" button shows "Add Timer" and "Add AutoTimer".. no mention of record...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast