Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dm800 hd dm500 clones...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts

dm800 hd dm500 clones...

I have read through a few posts on this forum in regards to clones, the ups and downs or so to speak, but are the newer clones any good? i just want to play around with a few boxes so was thinking about dm500 or dm800 hd. can anyone recommend a seller or where i can buy one. Also other than the obviously quality of parts, are there any other known issues and have these been fixed by the new revision tuners and boxes. I am looking for a uk supplier.

I have nothing better to do with spare time lol

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    No one is allowed to recommend a satellite retailer please read rule 4

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...the-rules-here

As for clone boxes there are plenty of good genuine Linux boxes for out there for around the same price as clone ones
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ma bad, no retailers then lol but the reason i asked about clones is cost, and the fact im only going to be using it to play around with images and settings etc and i dont fancy doing that on the vu duo lol hence why i was just looking for a cheaper box thats able to do all those things. I was looking at the Qbox mini hd but i wouldnt want to spend so much to only either damage it and for it to not be used to its full potential as i already have the duo and virgin media v+ lol

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

punisher (03-02-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    oooo thats not bad at all, but its not a hd reciever is it? i will be getting the big brother hd version of the blade anyway but thats going to be for a family member so will get a chance to mess around with those. any other similar hd boxes? i know for a hd box im going to be looking for £150+ but ill keep lookin around. cheers Sicilian

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I'd sooner buy the Qbox mini HD than a DM800 clone At least its genuine and has a full UK warranty. You could also add an extra tuner for £27.95, so thats £206.95 for a Linux dual tuner, not bad imo.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

jfk (03-02-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yeh its a complete bargain when you compare it to others similar in the market. I have tried looking for an addition DVB-C tuner, but i cant seem to find one. any idea if there is one for this box?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Duolabs have saith that DVB-T tuners and cable tuners are coming, but haven't confirmed when.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Personally I think the clones are ok, but different chinese factories produce
    them in wildly differing qualities, some good some bad.

I have luckily bought a faulty original and 2 malfunctioning clones recently
    from ebay and managed to get them all back to life.

Main thing to look out for is crappy tuner and bad capacitors.
    The best tuner in terms of reception on the clones is a rev M,
    but it as well as the L3 tuner does not have overload protection
    so if anything goes wrong with tuner it can also kill the motherboard.

One of the clone boxes I had had crappy cheap capacitors
    and luckily i have a mate at work who is electronics tech and
    he swapped them all for me for panasonic capacitors and box
    works very well now.

Images for the clone boxes do need patches for the specific
    sim card you are using in the box, so do be careful.

Regards

Niteman1969

Title
    Thanks
    I am not going to get into the whole clone debate over the original.. If I could afford £400 I would buy an orignal. As I cant, and If I wanted a single tuner I would rather pay £189.99 on a DM800 Clone.

Having said that I would also rather pay £179.99 for a DuoLabs HD mini than a £189.99 for a clone.

IF you are going to get a clone search for a dm800 pro, this has the revision M tuner supports symbol rate 295000 (which some HD channels use) the older tuners do not and will not play the HD channels properly. People who currently own clones are having to buy updated tuners just so they can watch TV. And who's to say in the future that they find out that another symbol rate which is not supported. yes you got it you will have to buy another replacement tuner, N, O, P, Q etc.... You hear people complaining of noisy fans, and is it no suprise that the reputable sites in the uk that sell clone dreambox's also sell replacement power supplies, replacement motherboards, replacement fans, replacement tuners. The reason for this is these parts sell. You dont see replacement parts being sold for orginal dreamboxes on other sites. I dont even believe the original Dreambox 800 even has a fan.

Also many moons ago, I brought what I thought was an original dreambox 500 from fleabay and had issues with lipsync (the users mouth speaking and the sound not aligning up). It would be ok for a bit but if I left it on the same channel for a while the persons voice would be out of sync with the sound. I repeatedly emailed the seller who advised me to try loads of different settings, all which did not fix the issue, having a nuetrino build did fix the issue so I was limited to what images I could use, All enigma images had the fault.

I emailed dream-mulitmedia and they said that I have lipsync issues with the latest gemini image. THey said it was a known issue, they new what component it was and would RMA my box. When they asked for the serial number they told me that it was a clone, so I was stuck with the box.

The point I am trying to make here is that just because an original image installs does not mean that it will 100% be fully like the original. IF you purchased an original box then at least you can give feedback to the supplier who can either swap your box for free or supply firmware updates.

Just my two pence worth.

If its support and images you are after then save a few more pennies and go for the VU duo. (twin tuner) with loads of support for £350.00. I know thats not what you wanted to hear. I would rather spend £350 on a Duo than spend £259.00 on a solo. (I think the solo is too expensive).. but for a budget of £200 I would go for the Duloabs HD mini.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sivhead For This Useful Post:

bigup7 (07-02-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i already have a vu duo and ive just brought a blade media bm700 HD so will give this a twirl and then maybe ill go after the xbox mini hd because that looks quite nifty too. just thought id save myself any trouble and stress from any issues im going to get from clones. brought the blade media via sponsor so hope to see that soon
    Last edited by punisher; 07-02-11 at 12:28.

Title
    Thanks
    Ahh it would appear that your loaded then buying all these boxes just to have a play... Then I can recommend Dreambox DM8000 HD PVR for £859.99

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i was tempted before i purchase the vu duo but i couldnt really understand the functional difference between the 2 other than plug and play tuners on the dm8000. who knows... maybe next time ill give the dm8000 a swirl lol

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    personally when i buy a receiver i expect it to be working for me for at least 7 to 10 years and no clone i have encountered yet even comes close to that. the dm7020 i am using now is almost 9 years old and it's as rock solid now as they day i bought and installed it.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I've got to admit the Original DM7020 was a rock solid receiver, probably the best that ever came out of Dream-Multimedia.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast