Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: HDD not returning to standby after a recording

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes

Thread: HDD not returning to standby after a recording

Title
    Thanks

HDD not returning to standby after a recording

1. I have two TM Nano SE M2 Plus boxes, both fitted with an internal HDD. The following behaviour is the same on both boxes.

2. Following a timer recording, the HDD continues to spin constantly and the red recording LED does not extinguish.

3. This is not new to the 5.2 series release, I believe it has been in all of the 5.x series so far and possibly in the later 4.x series too.

4. I have tested with a variety of different skins (currently using Simple 1080) but the result is the same, even with the ViX default skin.

5. This is merely irritating behaviour, but will no doubt reduce the life expectancy of the HDDs.

6. Powering a box on and then back to standby extinguishes the red recording LED and the drives stop spinning.

7. In Menu/Setup/Storage/Settings, I have always had ‘Hard disk standby after’ set to the default 5 minutes.

8. Anyone else seen this behaviour?
    Last edited by Piranha; 06-11-18 at 10:55.
    2x TM Twin-OE, Fixed dish on 28.2E, quad LNB
    http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/co...y-emoticon.gif

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Have you timeshift enabled?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Piranha (06-11-18)

Title
    Thanks
    1. Timeshift disabled as always.

2. Just been reading an older post about RECTIMER not detecting ‘wake up to standby’ - presume this same function should return the system (and the HDD) to standby after a recording.

3. By default, a timer has ‘After event’ set to auto - I have tried this as ‘go to standby’ but the HDDs still spin until the boxes are turned on and then back to standby manually.

4. Both boxes were clean-flashed to 5.2.006 with no settings or plugins restore. I use no plugins other than those built into the system, with the exception of the Simple 1080 skin.

5. Still trying to make some sense of this behaviour!

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    How long are you actually waiting after the recording for the HDD to go to standby?

Do you have picons, EPG anything set to store to HDD?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    How long are you actually waiting after the recording for the HDD to go to standby?

Do you have picons, EPG anything set to store to HDD?
    1. The HDDs will run hours to days following a recording.

2. No picons. EPG (CrossEPG) loads once every 24 hours. Automatic save and refresh set at the default 24 hours.

3. The HDDs fail to go to standby after the default 5 minutes of inactivity and the recording indicator does not extinguish following a timer recording.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Just a thought, is this relevant....

https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post382915

Title
    Thanks
    I get the same behaviour on a TM Nano SE M2 Plus box here. This has a 5.1 image which was loaded some time ago.

Most things on this box are basic, default skin, no Picons, internal HDD (with lots of free space), no timeshift. All relevant options are set to image defaults.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    2. Just been reading an older post about RECTIMER not detecting ‘wake up to standby’ - presume this same function should return the system (and the HDD) to standby after a recording.
    If by putting a disk into standby you mean spinning it down, that's a function of the disk itself.
    It can be set in Menu -> Setup -> Storage -> Settings (where it is the only setting).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    If by putting a disk into standby you mean spinning it down, that's a function of the disk itself.
    It can be set in Menu -> Setup -> Storage -> Settings (where it is the only setting).
    1. Understood! However, I have always left this setting at the default of 5 minutes, so it is this function that fails to operate correctly - as well as the recording indicator remaining on after a timer recording.

2. Looks like @timofee is reporting exactly the same in post #7 above.

3. Looking like this will be something in the TM drivers that is failing.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timofee View Post
    I get the same behaviour on a TM Nano SE M2 Plus box here. This has a 5.1 image which was loaded some time ago.

Most things on this box are basic, default skin, no Picons, internal HDD (with lots of free space), no timeshift. All relevant options are set to image defaults.

1. Sorry that you have the same issue - but glad I’m not alone!

2. Maybe someone will be able to track down what system call should be initiated after the requisite amount of HDD inactivity and put it into standby. It certainly used to work as expected - not really sure in which image series this first commenced.

3. Hope that others with TM Nano SE boxes will post their own comments on this - someone might have already figured it out.

Best of luck!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    3. Looking like this will be something in the TM drivers that is failing.
    The disk spin-down can be set with the hdparm command, which is nothing to do with any box-specific drivers. It just sends a command to the disk firmware (which it remembers...). e.g.
    Code:
     hdparm -S 24 <<dev-filename>
    will set the spin-down time to 2 mins. The parameters to the -S option is a bit quirky (but it makes sense really..):
    The encoding of the timeout value is somewhat peculiar. A value of zero
    means "timeouts are disabled": the device will not automatically enter
    standby mode. Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds,
    yielding timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes. Values from 241 to 251
    specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, yielding timeouts from 30
    minutes to 5.5 hours. A value of 252 signifies a timeout of 21 minutes.
    A value of 253 sets a vendor-defined timeout period between 8 and 12
    hours, and the value 254 is reserved. 255 is interpreted as 21 minutes
    plus 15 seconds. Note that some older drives may have very different
    interpretations of these values.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Guys, are you 100% sure it's not the fan running?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    To be fair to everyone who is helping in this thread I should clarify the observations with my Nano.

I can see the red Led light after I have set a timer (and that timer has completed), but I don't hear anything from the HDD.

I do have another Nano in another location which I will have access to next week. I will check that Nano to see if it also shows the red light after recordings have finished.

Both Nanos were bought from WoS and had ViX loaded on purchase.

Sometimes the Led being lit is helpful, as it reminds me that I have set a timer some time earlier.

Title
    Thanks
    I have now been able to check the other Nano I have, and it also has the red LED light on permanently after a recording has finished.

I can't hear anything from the HDD, unlike the OP.