Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ABM (Terrestrial): Frequency Finder. Birdman's thread

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    This is nothing to do with creating bouquets - it just about creating a lamedb file.
    ABM does both.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Well you have managed to take this thread completely off topic because it was about auto-creation of ABM provider files.
    My response was to this:
    From ABM 3.1, a new feature will be available in ABM to scan for local masts.
    which doesn't seem to be off-topic to me.

And of course exhaustive scans are not going to be the only way because they are way too slow.
    So you're not actually reading what I'm writing?
    I'm saying to do a one-off full scan once, and save the result for future scans. So as to avoid the need for a config file that needs to be maintained, and will be out of data on any day your mast frequencies change.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Gordon, if you do an exhaustive scan you have save the data somewhere. That is what TerrestrialScan does and that is what DVB-T frequency finder does. Both do the same and the data is ready fo use immediately.

So what is the problem? And it is not like either force you to make a bouquet.

Title
    Thanks
    Gordon, if you do an exhaustive scan you have save the data somewhere. That is what TerrestrialScan does and that is what DVB-T frequency finder does. Both do the same and the data is ready of use immediately.
    Why do you need to install an extension to get what should be (to me) standard behaviour?
    And why is there more than one set of code to run a scan? (To me that implies that the standard method is insufficient).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    "System scan" is about returning the maximum amount of services for any particular set of input parameters. All other methods are about filtering the services returned.

Title
    Thanks
    "System scan" is about returning the maximum amount of services for any particular set of input parameters. All other methods are about filtering the services returned.
    So you agree that there should only be one scanning code base.
    Everything else is working from the result that gives.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    So you agree that there should only be one scanning code base.
    Everything else is working from the result that gives.
    Of course not. If I believed that I wouldn't have spent years contributing to ABM. But obviously from your comments you have no idea what ABM is for.

Title
    Thanks
    Of course not. If I believed that I wouldn't have spent years contributing to ABM. But obviously from your comments you have no idea what ABM is for.
    I believe that ABM uses the results of a scan to produce bouquets in a layout that the user desires.
    But it doesn't need to do a "non-system" scan - it could use a standard scan to produce the lamedb part of its input data.

Tel me why it can't.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    As mentioned numerous times already, ABM does not scan.

Presumably you will be making a different plugin/script to achieve what you want. Hope it goes well. Good luck.

Nothing more that I can add to this thread.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Menu/Setup/Tuner config/AutoBouquetsMaker/Start scan

What does the scan? A clean install followed by the above tunes my box up as I would expect.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    ABM does not scan. If you can think of a better word that would not confuse people, please suggest it.

Enigma2 scanning reads the terrestrial/satellite/cables.xml files, bsaed on scanning options, it then interrogates the frequency for services it can tune to and receive.

ABM "whatever word for scan" reads the tables using the dvbreader.so file for which services the provider wants to make available and these are added to lamedb as well as the bouquet files. The dvb reader on its own will not yield much, so it needs to be in a plugin/package or use other files.

For example,
    Someone has a dodgy LNB, it cannot receive some frequncies/plane. It can receive the one that ABM uses for tuning.

Performing a "scan" results in followoing:

Enigma2 scanning: Only the receivable services will be added. Unless blind scanning capable, it will only check the frequencies in the xml files.
    ABM "whatever name for scan": All the services that the provider has on the data tables will be written.

This is why it is incorrect for people to be advised to run ABM if they are having reception issues, especially on satellite.

Owing to bad.missing/incomplete data, we adapted ABM for UK DVB-T2 so that if the services already exist in lamedb, it will add them. We also added a feature to override the data so everything works with ABM.

People have been providing details for us to add. We have made it easier for people to provide the CURRENT and VALID data so it can be added to ABM for others, but can also be used straight away. Users will be independent of ABM developers. We had started this thread for users to be aware. I normally lock guide threads so people do not cloud it with questions. If the guide is not clear and people ask the same questions, I adapt it. Just because it makes sense to me, it does not mean it is good enough. after questions were posed, Huevos split the thread so we have a guide and questions/submissions thread. It then got split so submission thread is separate and to the point. This thread is where it is.

Whatever the method used, data will need to be used. If it is from a repository, someone will have to add it. There will always be a lag.

We have created/provided
    Terrestrail scan: (Independent of ABM) to create xml file for enigma2 scanning, valid for you in your area and at that moment in time,independent of anyone and any data repository If you have ABM installed it will craate a bouquet too. TV and radio services in one continuous list.
    ABM frequncy finder: Create an xml file for ABM "whatever name for scanning", valid for you in your area and at that moment in time, independent of anyone and any data repository.

If you can think of a better word for to use than "scan" for ABM, please suggest it.

And what is scanning exactly?
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 09-08-18 at 14:27. Reason: incomplete sentence

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    As mentioned numerous times already, ABM does not scan.
    So it uses the standard system scan. Fine.
    Then I'll just go back to the question in the first post. Why bother having any per-transmitter config files (that need to be maintained) at all and just let a box find out what it can receive and remember it?

EDIT:
    This would help with/avoid the issues noted in:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...g-failed-fatal
    Last edited by birdman; 08-08-18 at 17:59.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    So it uses the standard system scan. Fine.
    Then I'll just go back to the question in the first post. Why bother having any per-transmitter config files (that need to be maintained) at all and just let a box find out what it can receive and remember it?

EDIT:
    This would help with/avoid the issues noted in:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...g-failed-fatal
    Because is already stated numerous times the tuners are not blindscan capable. They need to follow a bandplan.

And yes, ABM could use "system scan" to scan all the frequencies just like TerrestrialScan plugin does, but that would defeat the object (which is a fastscan of a single transponder).
    Last edited by Huevos; 08-08-18 at 19:58.

Title
    Thanks
    I ticked Show DVB-T frequency finder but when you go to click into it I get message pop up no terrestrial tuner found? in west mids area
    running 5.1.032 image on vu solo 2
    Is it because I don't have DVB-T tuner connected?
    Got Sly & Cable connected only
    any1 else tried?
    Last edited by icemen; 08-08-18 at 20:41.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by icemen View Post
    Is it because I don't have DVB-T tuner connected?
    Yes. How do you expect to do a DVB-T scan without a DVB-T tuner?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast