Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: vix AC wifi?

Title
    Thanks

vix AC wifi?

I have a new Zero 4k with latest vix on it. I bought a new wifi dongle with a realtek 8812au chipset which does both 2.4 and 5ghz (CSL - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Wireless AC1200 Dual Band network adapter). I can connect to my 2.4 network just fine, but it just refuses to even SEE the 5ghz network when I try to scan. I did install the 8812au driver but this seems to have made no difference (it worked before installing it and does nothing different after installing it or after removing it again). It shows up as an "8812au wireless network interface" so it is definitely the right chipset.

Is the issue that vix just doesn't support 5ghz wifi or is there something else going on? I bought it specifically to use AC 5ghz because nobody else around here uses that except me, and loads of people use 2.4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    ViX does support 5GHz. My Ultimo 4K has currently a connection with 650MBit. The Ultimo did not connect on a channel > 48 or 64. I use channel 40 fixed in my router now perhaps you should try the same.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    ViX does support 5GHz. My Ultimo 4K has currently a connection with 650MBit. The Ultimo did not connect on a channel > 48 or 64. I use channel 40 fixed in my router now perhaps you should try the same.

ciao
    You are right! I set it to 40 and now it can see it. Tried at 60 and it can't see it again. I assume there is some issue with the driver then. Of course 40 is no good for me, everyone else is sitting around 40 so there is loads of interference (hence I was using 100 because nobody else is using anything above 50). This is hugely irritating!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I must not be a driver fault. Channel 52-140 can also be used by RADAR and the hardware and/or driver must be able to dynamically switch to a different channel. I think a lot of manufacturer are trying to avoid such a trouble by only using low channel numbers.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    I must not be a driver fault. Channel 52-140 can also be used by RADAR and the hardware and/or driver must be able to dynamically switch to a different channel. I think a lot of manufacturer are trying to avoid such a trouble by only using low channel numbers.

ciao
    It's a driver fault to me. 52-140 is part of the 5ghz wifi spec right? Therefore to be compliant with it, the device should be capable of using anything in that range. I assume the device itself IS capable of using that range and it is the drive preventing it (maybe I am wrong, if someone can confirm it is the device itself that is unable to use the whole 5ghz spectrum and is therefore not fully compatible with the spec, then I will send it back and get something that can do it!).

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewokuk View Post
    It's a driver fault to me. 52-140 is part of the 5ghz wifi spec right? Therefore to be compliant with it, the device should be capable of using anything in that range.
    If the device can't do it then the driver can't enable it.

Have you read the full 802.11ac spec? In particular any Should/May/Must clauses that exist.

I assume the device itself IS capable of using that range and it is the drive preventing it (maybe I am wrong, if someone can confirm it is the device itself that is unable to use the whole 5ghz spectrum and is therefore not fully compatible with the spec, then I will send it back and get something that can do it!).
    Why do you assume that?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD