Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ViX image manger issue -red cross

Title
    Thanks
    It seems a strange decision for Vix to make this change as it now means you need to attach 2 drives to the device, 1 for image back ups and the other for recordings. I don't understand why it is only now it is an issue to flash from ext4 formatted drive when it has worked fine on earlier images. It would also be helpful if error messages explained a problem rather than just have a big red x.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slacker17 For This Useful Post:

john doe (08-04-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    It's not a ViX change, couch flashing simply doesn't work with the latest generation of 4K boxes.

It's nothing to do with "earlier images", they never (should have) worked on 4K boxes.

And, as far as I'm aware, you can't create an image backup directly onto a usb stick anyway.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-04-17 at 11:56.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,896 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    It's not a ViX change, couch flashing simply doesn't work with the latest generation of 4K boxes.

It's nothing to do with "earlier images", they never (should have) worked on 4K boxes.

And, as far as I'm aware, you can't create an image backup directly onto a usb stick anyway.
    Wrong. OpenVix doesn't support couch flashing on the Arm receivers ..... other Images do.... and I nearly always couch flash on my Arm receivers (something I must have done over a 100 times without issue, since I had the receivers as I build frequently) ... on the HD51 perfectly safely as it has 4 partitions on the EMMC which can be used to ensure that the "Live" image (if that was an issue), is not over-written.
    .. and Yes, you can create an Image backup to USB for the Arm receivers .. it just can take some time with the HD51 because of the potential size of the image
    Last edited by twol; 08-04-17 at 13:07.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

john doe (08-04-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Wrong. OpenVix doesn't support couch flashing on the Arm receivers ..... other Images do.... and I nearly always couch flash on my Arm receivers... on the HD51 perfectly safely as it has 4 partitions on the EMMC which can be used to ensure that the "Live" image (if that was an issue), is not over-written.
    .. and Yes, you can create an Image backup to USB for the Arm receivers .. it just can take some time with the HD51 because of the potential size of the image
    Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Live flashing of new generation 4K receivers that use EMMC flash is not supported. You'll need to FTP backup image to PC, then flash via USB.
    I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement.
    Odd that you suggest that overwriting the live image might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    It is a shame you can't choose to save an image back up directly to a fat32 stick, I'm sure blackhole or openbh has this feature.
    I must have misunderstood what this says.
    Last edited by ccs; 08-04-17 at 13:23.

Title
    Thanks
    Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement.
    Odd that you suggest that overwriting the live image might be an issue.

I must have misunderstood what this says.
    "Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected" : I believe in most cases OpenViX has always been referenced, when talking about couch flash of Arm receivers... apart from some perhaps early posts
    "I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement" :- Easy Yes, but I believe there are concerns about overwriting the live image, but as the author of the imaging tool used by all OE-A images (I believe) has taken this into account, it shouldn't be an issue, and I have never had an issue with my receivers (which is just my experience )
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    "Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected" : I believe in most cases OpenViX has always been referenced, when talking about couch flash of Arm receivers... apart from some perhaps early posts
    "I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement" :- Easy Yes, but I believe there are concerns about overwriting the live image, but as the author of the imaging tool used by all OE-A images (I believe) has taken this into account, it shouldn't be an issue, and I have never had an issue with my receivers (which is just my experience )
    Not a clue what you're trying to say here, but putting phrases like "(I believe)" and "which is just my experience" are hardly going to enforce your argument.

Title
    Thanks
    Not a clue what you're trying to say here, but putting phrases like "(I believe)" and "which is just my experience" are hardly going to enforce your argument.
    Thats because I am just trying to be very polite You can believe whatever you want
    If it didn't work, neither I or other images would be doing it ... without issue.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thats because I am just trying to be very polite You can believe whatever you want
    If it didn't work, neither I or other images would be doing it ... without issue.
    Then why isn't it implemented in ViX?
    All I'm doing is repeating what has already been said, and you're contradicting it.
    Maybe I should politely wrap smiles around all my posts.

Title
    Thanks
    Then why isn't it implemented in ViX?
    All I'm doing is repeating what has already been said, and you're contradicting it.
    Maybe I should politely wrap smiles around all my posts.
    Because OpenViX doesn't support couch flash on Arm processors ... is that simple enough?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

john doe (08-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    there is a post in the solo4k section explaining reason. I'll try and post link later

EDIT:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post400861

Content copied below

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

john doe (08-04-17),Sicilian (09-04-17)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Because OpenViX doesn't support couch flash on Arm processors ... is that simple enough?
    i did not know that either twol until after i posted my reply and then messed up my Oscam configs and tried to do a restore of my Ultimo 4k Vix Image

so i ended up doing a Clean Fresh install of 5.0.008 Release from scratch with no Backups or restores on my Ultimo 4k as i found that was the only way to overturn my messed up changes that i had made instead of doing a simple image restore i find that is like going back to the Stone Age

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsw9154 For This Useful Post:

john doe (08-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=nsw9154;445856 i find that is like going back to the Stone Age [/QUOTE]

I can only agree, as couch flash was initially a major advantage for OpenViX vs other images ... but I only test these images, so not my decision.... but the advantage of the OE-A and the various Enigma2 images (like OpenViX) is that you can extract, modify and add code if you want to build function into images, as long as you are prepared to do the work and run your own builds.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It is simple enough - that's what I've been saying all the time - it's you who complicates matters by saying it works on other images, and the ones you build.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    let me clarify this issue, OpenViX will sorry to say NEVER support live flashing of the Solo4K, here's why.

the Solo4K uses a EXT4 filesystem and as such it is not possible to FLASH a mounted ext4 filesystem, unlike other boxes that use a block type filesystem. The OFGWRITE tool IMO is wrong to even attempt this for the Solo4k, here why i think so and why openvix will not support this tool for the Solo4k.

firstly is does not perform a reflash, it is simply mounting the image file and then copying the files from the image overwriting the files in the flash, think of this way, it is like trying to reinstall windows over itself whilst windows is running.

IMO this could lead to all sorts of issues, as system libraries are still being accessed, the flash has not been cleaned. This could lead to bad blocks as the the filesystem is being overwrote whilst it is still being used.

So i am sorry to say OpenVix will never support live flashing of the Solo4k, whilst it uses a ext4 filesystem.

OpenViX will NOT take any chance that this tool 'could' cause harm to any users Solo4K boxes, so this is why we have taken this action.

Again we are sorry but we will NOT reconsider this at all.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-04-17)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12