Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Internal Hardrive Potentially dead?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Even for that you could ask for assistance.
    I know I accept that.

With all the issues I have experience with the HDDs dying, failing call it what you want a part of me just gave up.

Was so excited and happy when I first got the box, could do so much on it you couldnt on the standard provider boxes.

Just really disappointed how over time I just became overwhelmed and couldnt cope with the non stop issues.

I know that I should have come on here when it started going pear shaped but I didnt as part of me thought it wasnt fixable.

Anyway if the receiver crashes/hangs again I will upload the logs needed.

In the meantime I will just take the HDD out now and take it to someone who I know who repairs computers to test the HDD to see if it is still recognised on a PC. If not that will confirm just like my first HDD that its dead and will just destroy it as there will be no way of making it work again.

My apologies to you Rob and anyone else if I came across as aggressive and a bit rude. With my health issues a big part of my life, I get very stressed and depressed when issues arise and I struggle to cope to resolve them.

Thanks for the input in this thread. I might not have shown it but appreciate all the help provided.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You can be unlucky with hard drives - I have seen them fail out of the box. They have moving parts inside and are not made like they were 30 years ago (ie made to last). You can pick up second hand drives for 10-20 pounds. They probably wont last for years but at least it might be easier on the pocket. Start fresh and try to learn the different skills required to maintain these machines. A sky box is designed to be numpty-proof but only allows limited tasks that the provider decides. Linux receivers are a different beast but do require more effort to get the best from them. Getting help on a forum can seem daunting, but it is a two-way process that requires you providing ample information to get help but also you must take on board the answers given and try to implement them. Granted that the answers are not always right either! If there is something you don't understand then ask for help with that one thing - don't bite off more than you can chew.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

champs4life (09-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    I havent reflashed today, but I reflashed numerous times in previous months when it was crashing/hanging but after a few days after reflashing it started happening again.
    So why not try a re-flash (i.e. start from scratch) and take it from there, one step at a time.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

champs4life (09-01-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    So why not try a re-flash (i.e. start from scratch) and take it from there, one step at a time.
    Just to be clear: without restore.
    And then only install settings (or run ABM) and a softcam.
    If all goes well for say 3 days go on by adding whatever plugins you use, at a pace of say one per 2 days.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

champs4life (09-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    you can buy a hard drive from cclonline.com they are very cheap and carry a full years warranty
    i use them all the time

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    You can be unlucky with hard drives - I have seen them fail out of the box. They have moving parts inside and are not made like they were 30 years ago (ie made to last). You can pick up second hand drives for 10-20 pounds. They probably wont last for years but at least it might be easier on the pocket. Start fresh and try to learn the different skills required to maintain these machines. A sky box is designed to be numpty-proof but only allows limited tasks that the provider decides. Linux receivers are a different beast but do require more effort to get the best from them. Getting help on a forum can seem daunting, but it is a two-way process that requires you providing ample information to get help but also you must take on board the answers given and try to implement them. Granted that the answers are not always right either! If there is something you don't understand then ask for help with that one thing - don't bite off more than you can chew.
    Ye I get that. But with 2 HDDs failing so quickly it just hurts especially when you are struggling for money as it is. Its probably my fault they failed with turning box off at the back and no screws fitted.

If I am being honest I rather not get second hand or refurbished HDDs as they will fail soon enough.

I have decided never to buy another HDD, it is drastic but I havent got money to burn down the drain.

The big problem is no matter how much I read or research into it I just cant understand or grasp it. I have suffered from learning difficulties such as dyslexia since I was a kid and am very slow at comprehending things. I know how hard I try to learn things and how I fail miserably.

Thats why I went from providers box to linux receivers due to the sheer amount of things you could do on them. No wonder they are the best receivers to buy. But they do need maintaining like updates etc which can be long and daunting at times.

That is my problem I expect multiple issues to be resolved all at once.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I will in due course but I am thinking on what to do with the HDD situation as without a HDD there could be issues with EPG being saved etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Could things like picons, skins and other plugins potentially cause the crashes/hanging?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Yes they could cause crashes - skins in particular. That's why you need to start afresh and add things one at a time to find out what is causing your problems. You can use a usb stick to store epg data & picons. Do not try to use internal flash for epg data storage.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

champs4life (10-01-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    many of us just view boxes with no skins or picons in use and box works better.yes a good quality usb initialized and mounted correctly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

champs4life (10-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I have been ill due to a viral infection on and off nearly 2 weeks. So been online very rarely.

I did ask someone here if they could walk me through step by step how to reflash the box but it seems pretty obvious it was all lies and that person wanted to keep all the knowledge for them self. I get people on here think just because they know everything and can do everything for themselves they are above and better than people like me who are thick and stupid. Thats fine but I dont think that way about anyone.

Anyway is there anyone who can tell me what to do or better provide me a guide which does step by step how to reflash the box.

I have accepted the HDD is gone now but I need to know now if the box is faulty after reflashing.

Title
    Thanks
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techygirl For This Useful Post:

champs4life (04-02-17),Joe_90 (03-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Yes I am aware of that link.

But what are the basic settings I need to apply as that guide doesnt tell me it all?

I need to know what steps to apply to figure if box is faulty as well or not?

So disappointed no one is willing to help me.

I guess this community doesnt want to help me because of how stupid and thick I am.

I will just have to guess and also take my problems else where.

Title
    Thanks
    Serously no one gona help me?

Starting a new thread will just be as pointless.

Wow shows what type of community this is where someone is really struggling and is basically begging for help people are blatantly ignoring.

Guess everyone is the same and all alike.

Thats fine. Theres plenty of forums who can bother to help.

WOS isnt the be all end all.

So sick of people on here.

Title
    Thanks
    When I started our with my vu duo. I knew absolutely nothing about setting up an enigma2 receiver.

I read some ammount of post in order to gain the knowledge.

Sure there were some points when I got stuck and I Always got help on the forum.

There is plenty of helpful information on this forum about setting up a reciever.

You need to take the time to read the information.

What better to do when you've been in your sick bed for 2 weeks.

Start with the basics. Tuner config. Autobouqets for channel list. Epg then once you have it all the basics then can mess about with plugins and skins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast