Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ET8500 random crashes

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lsces View Post
    Got there now ... I've two other OpenVix powered devices and not had any problems with them ... so never had to play with the logs.

Re-flashed for 4.2.009 and NOW it is generating crash logs ... have done this three times now at the same point just after the automatic scan has completed the T2 pass and before going on to the Sat. Twice now having skipped the T2 and gone straight to Sat it has frozen about quarter of the way through without generating a crash log, but I think the debug log is still being populated now I've switched that on.
    I should add that for 4.1.016 I had both T2 and S tuners scanned and working, just a later random lock-up problem.
    I'll drop this over to open-vix list.
    The crashlog shows a driver issue. And your later debug log shows that your skin needs an update (although not related to the crash).
    I suggest to reflash the box.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,896 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Attachment 51071

As already stated ... this was supplied new by world-of-satellite in July with the 320Mb disk already fitted.
    Come down this morning and the unit is locked up again, so now I'm going to re-flash, and not enable anything other than the T2 tuner to try that.

I've attached the last log file, but I've actually managed to download that WITHOUT restarting the box. samba is actually still running along with ssh so so I've actually managed to do a simple reboot and the unit is working again ...

I'm not seeing anything missing process wise comparing the ps -e printouts pre and post reboot, but enabling samba is something I normally do (old habit) and I'm seeing a few open processes for that so I'm killing that off to see what we get ... and enabling both tuners again.
    OK, my mis-read when I read in your 1st post "picked-up" I took that to be a box from ebay etc
    I would still re-check your tuners and hard disk ...., its very easy with the ET8500 just to open up and double check
    Otherwise, wait to see what happens .... samba should not be an issue.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Enigma2_crash_2016-10-25_10-13-26.logSanity check here please ...
    I currently have the latest image flashed on the unit. 4.2.009 and it does not find anything later to update to, so why would the skin be out of date?
    The latest crash log is attached, so should my next step be to download another copy of the current image or source something different as an image?
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    ... don,t see anything about skins, but you often see skin error that can be ignored.
    Would be worth trying Openatv image to see where the issue might be - in the OE-A (which Openatv also belongs to), OpenViX or the hardware
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Enigma2_crash_2016-10-25_10-13-26.logSanity check here please ...
    Also a segfault (driver issue), same as in your previous log.
    IMHO this must be down to a specific setting or plugin.
    I would reflash without restore, only install service settings and a softcam and run the box for some 2 days to see if all is fine.
    If so, you can slowly and step by step add everything you want.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    ... don,t see anything about skins, but you often see skin error that can be ignored.
    Would be worth trying Openatv image to see where the issue might be - in the OE-A (which Openatv also belongs to), OpenViX or the hardware
    OK I was ahead on that.
    openatv-5.3-et8500-20161024 installed and initial setup actually scanned both receivers and gave a few more channels than I normally get. Next step would be selecting providers, but the image does not have UK freesat or freeview ... unit froze while I was looking at the list so I am convinced now that there is a hardware problem with this unit ... I'd left it running BBC2 and it's frozen again ...
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Just to put this thread to bed. The unit has been replaced by WOS and while I'm still having fun with the new one it is a lot more stable, however as supplied it gave some problems when set up normally. See new thread for some of the detail.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    logs
    /media/hdd or /home/root
    how about other settings?

Title
    Thanks
    This thread was closed ... the original crash problem was not present after the unit was returned. I've not formally identified what the problem was, BUT it does look like there is a problem with using static IP addresses. I have been switching dhcp services while changing broadband hubs having finally got fibre speed on one of the snail pace lines. Currently the problem unit has an IP address via dhcp and is stable, but when I tried to change it to a static one it played up, but I have not had time to investigate further. I will get around to fully configure the new hub once I drop the second broadband line next month ... two lines gave me around 1Mb upload ... fibre is giving me 16Mb
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    This thread was closed ... the original crash problem was not present after the unit was returned. I've not formally identified what the problem was, BUT it does look like there is a problem with using static IP addresses. I have been switching dhcp services while changing broadband hubs having finally got fibre speed on one of the snail pace lines. Currently the problem unit has an IP address via dhcp and is stable, but when I tried to change it to a static one it played up, but I have not had time to investigate further. I will get around to fully configure the new hub once I drop the second broadband line next month ... two lines gave me around 1Mb upload ... fibre is giving me 16Mb
    I always use a static IP on my boxes ---- no issues
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I always use a static IP on my boxes ---- no issues
    Ditto ... but it was switching to a static IP on THIS box when the crashes started to happen. No problem with the box since dropping back to dhcp so I need to find out why static IS a problem.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Ditto ... but it was switching to a static IP on THIS box when the crashes started to happen. No problem with the box since dropping back to dhcp so I need to find out why static IS a problem.
    If you are using static IP addresses you need to ensure that they can't clash with DHCP addresses offered by the router - ie they need to be outside DHCP range.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

twol (19-11-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I am using a static IP and having lots of issues (as a few of you know)...

I am going to speak with WoS and get my ET8500 returned as I am having random crashes, issues, tuners dropping out etc.....

Title
    Thanks
    I always change my routers to only allow upto 099 on dhcp and then use outside that for static ip addresses ... although with my current fritzbox that is not always necessary as you can use the fritzbox software to fix ip addresses...... great box if they didn,t always do things their way....... like everybody else is wrong
    Last edited by twol; 19-11-16 at 23:08.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Carlos49
    how did you get on with changing your box? I'm having same issues with crashing and have to press power switch at the back of the box to get it to respond.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast