Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ET8500 random crashes

Title
    Thanks

ET8500 random crashes

Picked up a ET8500 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVBC/T/T2 with an installed 320Gb drive back in July but only just getting around to setting up due to a problem getting the cables into the room it's being used in I've got it set up to record a couple of children’s programs fr when the grandchildren are around, but the unit is locking up every day and I have to reset.
    I think 4.1.016 firmware it was supplied with is still the latest code, so where do I go next ... it's not much use if it will not stay running to record.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    4.2009 is the latest firmware. You have to do a clean install without any settings restore for this firmware.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Need debug and/or crash logs ... just not enough info
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Need debug and/or crash logs ... just not enough info
    Some pointers how to do that would be helpful at this point ... as far as I can see the log files get wiped when I cycle the power to gain access again. As the 'big brother' badge shows above, I run Linux on the desktop so I am more than happy to play with things internally, but that requires some pointers as to how to get the unit into a debug mode, or simply remember the log files to see if anything was saved at that point.
    I've got the 4.2.009 build which I will load and see what happens ...
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Menu/Setup/System/logs/settings
    Folder location NOT flash (USB or HDD) as it get overwritten by a re-flash of image.
    Enable debug logs Yes
    Show lo manager in extensions .... I would say Yes then push blue button for easy access to log manager
    Ftp logs to PC.
    Attach logs here in post
    When looking at logs on receiver use red button to cycle between debug logs and crash logs
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    Got there now ... I've two other OpenVix powered devices and not had any problems with them ... so never had to play with the logs.

Re-flashed for 4.2.009 and NOW it is generating crash logs ... have done this three times now at the same point just after the automatic scan has completed the T2 pass and before going on to the Sat. Twice now having skipped the T2 and gone straight to Sat it has frozen about quarter of the way through without generating a crash log, but I think the debug log is still being populated now I've switched that on.
    I should add that for 4.1.016 I had both T2 and S tuners scanned and working, just a later random lock-up problem.
    I'll drop this over to open-vix list.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Can you post your pics of your tuner setup as well when you post ... looks like you have terrestial and motorised sat dish?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Can you post your pics of your tuner setup as well when you post ... looks like you have terrestial and motorised sat dish?
    Fixed disk and antenna feeds UK Freeview and Freesat same as being used for the other two boxes. First is Technomate TM-NANO-3T T2/S2/S2, second box is sat only Zgemma H.2S.
    ET8500 equiped with
    Tuner A: Si216x (DVB-T2)
    Tuner B: AVL6211 (DVB-S2)
    It locked up trying to access 'Box Info' from OpenWebif to check info, and it's just locked up again while I was copying more detail of tuner set-up ... but it matches my TM-NANO-3T settings. The TM does lock up occasionally, but perhaps once a month and usually when two of us are trying to change programs, which is why I've added the extra box for an extra T2 channel.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lsces View Post
    Fixed disk and antenna feeds UK Freeview and Freesat same as being used for the other two boxes. First is Technomate TM-NANO-3T T2/S2/S2, second box is sat only Zgemma H.2S.
    ET8500 equiped with
    Tuner A: Si216x (DVB-T2)
    Tuner B: AVL6211 (DVB-S2)
    It locked up trying to access 'Box Info' from OpenWebif to check info, and it's just locked up again while I was copying more detail of tuner set-up ... but it matches my TM-NANO-3T settings. The TM does lock up occasionally, but perhaps once a month and usually when two of us are trying to change programs, which is why I've added the extra box for an extra T2 channel.
    "The TM does lock up occasionally, but perhaps once a month and usually when two of us are trying to change programs"
    How do you change channels at the same time to cause this conflict?

Also what plugins are you using, as the fact that both boxes can suffer from lockups indicates a common issue perhaps.

Can you disable the T2 tuner and just run with the sat tuner for a day or so and see what issues you get?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    "The TM does lock up occasionally, but perhaps once a month and usually when two of us are trying to change programs"
    How do you change channels at the same time to cause this conflict?
    The TM is feeding a TV upstairs and has the three tuners, so I had been 'using' one of the satellite feeds via openwebif my computer - three screen setup with TV on the right screen when not being used for cross machine development work, but if I change channel when my nephew is also doing something there can be a hickup and the box needs resetting. Not often but with a few channels not available on freesat I decided to add the ET8500 instead of sharing. The ET8500 lockup is happening with only one 'user' and even when not doing anything other than playing. The TM one is ALWAYS triggered by someones action and we think when a channel was being used to record..

Also what plugins are you using, as the fact that both boxes can suffer from lockups indicates a common issue perhaps.
    Can you disable the T2 tuner and just run with the sat tuner for a day or so and see what issues you get?
    Dreamplex and The TVDB Info are the only extras I've added to the ET8500 but I've switched off T2 and just left it recording from S2 channels, but it does not have all the available S2 channels as it's not finished scanning that tuner.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    So a Q. Why do you use tvdb when you have imdb built into the system?

So over the years I have beat my ET8500,s to death using dvb-s2 without issue.

But you don,t have a typical system or system control
    So I would uninstall the two plugins.
    Then I would fully scan the dvb-s2 tuner, run abm or whatever to build your bouquets and run t for a couple of days.
    If Ok, reintroduce the T2 tuner, scan and run for a couple of days.

Then lets see where we are
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    ( Apparently not posted yesterday )
    "So a Q. Why do you use tvdb when you have imdb built into the system?
    imdb is somewhat bad at handling UK TV series episodes correctly. I have some 12Tb of material on the local Plex servers all indexed using thetvdb.com and THAT at least I can correct where there are missing entries or obvious errors. Plex are now forcing trakt.tv on us but it's use of miss-matched data creates problems with programs and I'm looking for a way to kill it off as well as imdb for TV series.
    As I said, I got the ET8500 for T2 channels but I'll run S2 for a couple of days. I've not had a chance to try a clean scan of the S2 channels yet with the T2 side switched off and currently I'm not getting the EPG populated which is irritating, but the 4.1.016 build was working much better than I'm currently getting with 4.2.009 ... ignoring the lockups ...
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Title
    Thanks
    Haveto say I have in the past used both for my Dune media players which use Zappiti (French) software to scrape my videos to create a movie database.
    You could of course disable the s2 tuner and just run with the T2 tuner and see how that goes as I am more inlined to think that will throw up the issue .... might just be worth reseating both tuners to remove that (unlikely but possible) ) issue if it came 2nd hand .... also worth running a check on the hdd if you are into linux 320 gb is a strange number perhaps came out of another (sky) box and might be quite old?
    Last edited by twol; 25-10-16 at 07:07.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Why do you use tvdb when you have imdb built into the system?
    Not OP, but I can answer for what I do: I use IMDb, OFDb, TMBD, TheTVDB & Wikipedia (all from the feeds), as they all have their weak and strong points. And this works well.

EVCM1.jpg

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Enigma2_debug_2016-10-24_19-33-32.log
    Haveto say I have in the past used both for my Dune media players which use Zappiti (French) software to scrape my videos to create a movie database.
    You could of course disable the s2 tuner and just run with the T2 tuner and see how that goes as I am more inlined to think that will throw up the issue .... might just be worth reseating both tuners to remove that (unlikely but possible) ) issue if it came 2nd hand .... also worth running a check on the hdd if you are into linux 320 gb is a strange number perhaps came out of another (sky) box and might be quite old?
    As already stated ... this was supplied new by world-of-satellite in July with the 320Mb disk already fitted.
    Come down this morning and the unit is locked up again, so now I'm going to re-flash, and not enable anything other than the T2 tuner to try that.

I've attached the last log file, but I've actually managed to download that WITHOUT restarting the box. samba is actually still running along with ssh so so I've actually managed to do a simple reboot and the unit is working again ...

I'm not seeing anything missing process wise comparing the ps -e printouts pre and post reboot, but enabling samba is something I normally do (old habit) and I'm seeing a few open processes for that so I'm killing that off to see what we get ... and enabling both tuners again.
    --
    Lester Caine G8HFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast