Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed please with cron timer

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grantdavey91 View Post
    i am using a mac, and the program i am using is text wrangler ; if that helps
    It helps me (to know), but I doubt that it's helping you.
    In days gone by Mac systems used <CR> as and end of line marker, whereas all Unix/Linux system use <NL> (and MS Windows/DOS uses <CR><NL>). I'm assuming that this still obtains.
    Mind you, the BareBones version of TextWrangler claims that it "Transparently reads and writes DOS, Unix, and Mac files".

i took out the \ but then i got the same error for line 50 :
    The "\" was meant to be there - but it is vital that there are no spaces following it. It must be the final character on the line.

You haven't said what happened when you changed it to be all on one line.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    It helps me (to know), but I doubt that it's helping you.
    In days gone by Mac systems used <CR> as and end of line marker, whereas all Unix/Linux system use <NL> (and MS Windows/DOS uses <CR><NL>). I'm assuming that this still obtains.
    Mind you, the BareBones version of TextWrangler claims that it "Transparently reads and writes DOS, Unix, and Mac files".

The "\" was meant to be there - but it is vital that there are no spaces following it. It must be the final character on the line.

You haven't said what happened when you changed it to be all on one line.
    Thanks for the reply

Apologies, when you said remove the '\' i assumed i didn't have to paste it back in after moving line 51 to line 50.

I have amended to place the '\' back in the code, i then ran the command again and was presented with the same error for line 62 :

Code:
    ./toppicks2.sh: line 62: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting "do")
    so i placed '\' at the end of line 62 which resolved this one

I then ran the command again and I got :

Code:
    ./toppicks2.sh: line 71: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting "done")
    line 71 on the script is literally 'done' wothout the quotation marks

I added '\' thinking this would resolve, but i still got:

Code:
    ./toppicks2.sh: line 71: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting "done")
    It's so very close now as it's only complaining about the last line

any ideas?

Thanks
    - Vu+ Duo 2 1 x DVB-S/S2 Twin Tuner, 1 x DVB-C/T/2 Twin Hybrid Tuner, 1TB Internal HDD; Vu+ Official Qwerty remote, w/ OpenVix 4.2 & Slyk1HD V5.1 Skin by kiddac
    - Technomate 97cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Octo 8 way LNB
    - Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Smart TV Box w/ Kodi v16.1 Jarvis custom flashed for EXMP fully loaded

FULL Picon Sets for LCD Screens and GUI - SNP includes 28.2e Satellite, Virmin Cable, 13, 23 & 19 Sat & IPTV {click here}

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Try and make it in line with the top line so

Code:
        wget -q $url1$username$url2$link -O ${dest}/$name
        done
    I still haven't gòt round to playing with this but hopefully will tonight

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post

Code:
        wget -q $url1$username$url2$link -O ${dest}/$name
        done
    I still haven't gòt round to playing with this but hopefully will tonight
    thanks dsayer, just tried that, didn't work unfortunately
    - Vu+ Duo 2 1 x DVB-S/S2 Twin Tuner, 1 x DVB-C/T/2 Twin Hybrid Tuner, 1TB Internal HDD; Vu+ Official Qwerty remote, w/ OpenVix 4.2 & Slyk1HD V5.1 Skin by kiddac
    - Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Smart TV Box w/ Kodi v16.1 Jarvis custom flashed for EXMP fully loaded

FULL Picon Sets for LCD Screens and GUI - SNP includes 28.2e Satellite, Virmin Cable, 13, 23 & 19 Sat & IPTV {click here}

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    This isn't python. It's a shell script and you can format it how you wish to enhance readability.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

dsayers (17-09-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This isn't python. It's a shell script and you can format it how you wish to enhance readability.
    i'm giving everything i can think of a try but not succeeding at the moment, it is literally the very last line it's not happy with saying 'expecting done' but the last line says 'done' and doesn't have any trailing whitespace

Title
    Thanks
    Apologies, when you said remove the '\' i assumed i didn't have to paste it back in after moving line 51 to line 50.
    You shouldn't. But you didn't mention that you'd combined the lines into one.

Code:
    ./toppicks2.sh: line 62: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting "do")
    so i placed '\' at the end of line 62 which resolved this one
    Removing an error message does not necessarily mean that you have resolved what was causing it. You've just combined that line with the next one and moved the reported problem elsewhere.

All I can assume is that the fact that you are editing things on a Mac then transferring them onto the box is causing a text formatting problem in the script.
    That script runs fine for me on my box, and on my desktop and laptop, which run Linux Mint. It's just a simple shell script.

If you tell me what workdir setting you wish to use I could post a version with that edited in, so you wouldn't need to edit at all and we could see how that gets on.
    Last edited by birdman; 17-09-16 at 21:02.

Title
    Thanks
    i'm giving everything i can think of a try but not succeeding at the moment, it is literally the very last line it's not happy with saying 'expecting done' but the last line says 'done' and doesn't have any trailing whitespace
    It should have a trailing newline, though.
    I know that some editors think that this isn't needed....

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You shouldn't. But you didn't mention that you'd combined the lines into one.

Removing an error message does not necessarily mean that you have resolved what was causing it. You've just combined that line with the next one and moved the reported problem elsewhere.

All I can assume is that the fact that you are editing things on a Mac then transferring them onto the box is causing a text formatting problem in the script.
    That script runs fine for me on my box, and on my desktop and laptop, which run Linux Mint. It's just a simple shell script.

If you tell me what workdir setting you wish to use I could post a version with that edited in, so you wouldn't need to edit at all and we could see how that gets on.
    sorry, i thought i had mentioned it ; apologies - my brain is just going to mush trying to get this to work

well at first because many others had the same script and it was working for them i assumed it could be something to do with my box, and when i posted up the script i them thought after your reply that the script was wrong even though it was working for some, but i agree and you are more than likely right that its something to do with the editing on mac

by workdir do you mean where the images will be saved? this will bee /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd/skyicons

or where the script is going to be on the box /usr/script/toppicks2

thanks birdman, really appreciate the help; apologies for my lack of knowledge at this point

Title
    Thanks
    by workdir do you mean where the images will be saved? this will bee /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd/skyicons

or where the script is going to be on the box /usr/script/toppicks2
    The latter. i.e. the value for workdir in the script.

This one should be all set up for you.

toppicks2.sh.zip

I suggest you copy the zip file into /usr/script/toppicks2 then run
    Code:
    unzip toppicks2.sh.zip
    to ensure that you have an exact copy of what I have...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

grantdavey91 (17-09-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ..... don't forget to cd /usr/script/toppicks2 before unzipping.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The latter. i.e. the value for workdir in the script.

This one should be all set up for you.

toppicks2.sh.zip

I suggest you copy the zip file into /usr/script/toppicks2 then run
    Code:
    unzip toppicks2.sh.zip
    to ensure that you have an exact copy of what I have...
    LEGEND! IT WORKED!!

Birdman, thank you so much for all your help; really appreciate it; I've asked all over the place and got help but no fix

Now I can set up the cron to run it automatically and i'm not going to touch it

but for future purposes for other scripts i may get involved in for the future, would you happen to know if there are any mac based apps/programs I will be able to edit shell on without having the same problem again? no worries if not

thanks again Birdman, I bet it's a relief for you too, I can now stop pestering you haha!

Title
    Thanks
    but for future purposes for other scripts i may get involved in for the future, would you happen to know if there are any mac based apps/programs I will be able to edit shell on without having the same problem again? no worries if not
    The editor you are using claims to be able to handle Mac, Unix and DOS text files "automatically". Perhaps there is a "Save" option that lets you force the text format?
    But there is also the issue of how you then get the files onto the box - you haven't said how you do that.
    If you are using FTP then you could either write the file in Unix format then transfer it as a binary file, or write it in Mac format then transfer it as an ASCII/text one.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The editor you are using claims to be able to handle Mac, Unix and DOS text files "automatically". Perhaps there is a "Save" option that lets you force the text format?
    But there is also the issue of how you then get the files onto the box - you haven't said how you do that.
    If you are using FTP then you could either write the file in Unix format then transfer it as a binary file, or write it in Mac format then transfer it as an ASCII/text one.
    I'll have a look to see if it has that possibility - that's a very good point - I only ever save as ASCII/text unless it's already binary ; i'll have a look at the settings/preferences on text wrangler (i'm told it's the best editor for mac and the equivalent of notepad++)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'll have a look to see if it has that possibility - that's a very good point - I only ever save as ASCII/text unless it's already binary ; i'll have a look at the settings/preferences on text wrangler (i'm told it's the best editor for mac and the equivalent of notepad++)
    Hi, birdman

I looked at the text wrangler preferences; I can change to different editors and download additional formats if needed ; the application itself is apparently already saving as unix ; but one thing on this i never noticed before; it has it's own built in script editor which i wasn't using for the shell; just the default text wrangler ; and it also has the function to check syntax before running commands

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 17.54.39.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-19 at 17.54.03.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-19 at 17.53.25.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast