Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM-5402HD CI+ Super+ thoughts

Title
    Thanks

TM-5402HD CI+ Super+ thoughts

Hi
    Just bought this one for FTA. Changed s/w to the newest official 1.03.
    I had before Humax, Echostar and boxes from sat packets providers so I will compare to them.
    In terms of picture quality, speed, editing, size, this box is amazing. Never had technomate before.
    The downside is cheap build of light plastic like cheap receivers. The display is very bad, the numbers tremble with visible frequency that would give you headache if you stared at them for 10 seconds. The box gave out loud buzzing noise with fan control option on that is default position, so I changed to off in the menu and it's quite now. This noise + flickering display is recipe for nausea. Maybe it is only my unit?
    What fan are they talking about, external, internal? For CPU, HDD? Is the fan already there?
    I would appreciate some other users' comments.
    Andrew

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Got to admit this is the first post I've seen of someone saying the build quaility is cheap, I'd say thats a bit unfair. Regards fan, theres a small fan in the unit. Shouldn't be noisy and theres a few settings, cant remember exactly what the settings are right now though. Flickering display? Cant comment about that one it only has a four digit led type display. If you think theres an issue with the unit contact where you purchased.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Hi
    Well comparing to my Humax bought in the late 90s it is typical made in China build. I have a Ferguson sat receivers that is this type of build. The front panel looks fragile.
    I just switched the fan on and the noise is gone for some reason. What is it cooling though, the cpu of the box? Do I risk something by switching the fan control to off? I put my ear close to the top and really it seems like something is spinning inside I would not like to send it back, my general perception is positive. I would like to hear from other users.
    Regards
    Andrew

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    The fan is just for general airflow. I'd say its safe to switch fan off in menu otherwise TM wouldn't give that option

In the days of the humax things where built heavier I agree, but nowadays everything comes down to cost and unfortunatly things are made lighter. I've seen a few receivers on the market and imo I think the build quality of Technomates has always been great, the only downfall of late was the TM800 fiasco.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    The fan is just for general airflow. I'd say its safe to switch fan off in menu otherwise TM wouldn't give that option

In the days of the humax things where built heavier I agree, but nowadays everything comes down to cost and unfortunatly things are made lighter. I've seen a few receivers on the market and imo I think the build quality of Technomates has always been great, the only downfall of late was the TM800 fiasco.
    i agree only a few months ago i was having troublw with my dads actuator and i grabbed his old echostar ad3600ipva and smashed it over the table my dad started laughing and said that wasnt very nice and started winding me up i was already strugling to get it sorted and then had my dad egging me on [me and him have these laughs often mind you] so i smashed it against the wall and it didnt break i thuought well lets connect it up and apart from a cracked front face it works just fine

so yes build has become lighter but by no means has the quality deteriated they are still good boxes now my DUO is a light machine and the Solo i thought was a match box when it arrived but they have the brilliant quality that they deserve and so does the TM5402
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i have to agree with both sic and silverfox here. yes compared to boxes made 20 years ago, the new generation receivers feel lighter and as a result feel less well made which is not the case in my opinion, which in all honesty is down to us as consumers. after all were the ones wanting cheaper and cheaper goods, forcing the manufacturers to use different blends of alloys and plastics for things like the outer shell. just look at a tv made 20 years ago and one made now, its the same thing.

on the whole TM's in my opinion are very well made receivers i my self have 2 TM600's and there rock solid boxes.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Is it possible to unplug that little buzzer and plug a high quality fan? Is it pluggable?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    You only have to look at mobile phones, compare the size of the Motorola brick with some of the phones today and there worlds apart. Technology has miniaturized but its doesn't necessary mean its poor quality - only if you buy knock offs
    Last edited by Stanman; 06-01-11 at 13:46. Reason: addition

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    i just boughted this 5402 and it seems to have the same problem: the fan noise. i dont know if this is normal or not . some help from some other owners? i dont want to send it back.

Title
    Thanks
    can u please tell me where is that option to turn the fan off because i couldn't find it in my menu. thanks

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure its under display menu, its in one of them cant remember exactly which.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vvvlvd View Post
    can u please tell me where is that option to turn the fan off because i couldn't find it in my menu. thanks
    The fan it can be turned off by Pressing Menu > System Settings > Front Display Settings > Set Fan Control to OFF.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    foud it. thank you.!

Title
    Thanks
    Have the 5402hd as well, and quite honestly cannot complain about the fan noise, it's barely noticeable...

Title
    Thanks
    something else about my box: on the left side it is missing the "remote" writing and the "led" light that it should have been opposite the "stand by" writing. somebody else with this issue? is it everything fine with my box? thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast