Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: exfat WD book

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

exfat WD book

Hi all.

Need some support please with my external HDD on VU Duo2

I have had my Duo2 for a little over a week now, I bought with a 1TB HDD built in, which I am using for my recording/timer purposes.

I already had a 3TB USB Western Digital 'My Book' external HDD

When I set up the box I installed the exfat plugin onto my box and then inserted my 3TB HDD, it found it immediately and I mounted it.

the HDD has lots of tv shows and movies on it and I was able to watch my movie files from it the past few days, however today it is not recognised

I went into the media browser and tried to change the location but it wasn't there, so i went into system setup storage devices and it was in there but did not have any info , said 'unavailable', so I tried to mount it but it came up 'mount failed'

I don;t want to 'initialise' the HDD because this formats it and I don't want to lose all my stuff

But i don't understand that it was working and now its not?

I unplugged the HDD and plugged it back in but it still doesn't want to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Is the exFat plugin still installed? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but "unavailable" is what you might see.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Is the exFat plugin still installed? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but "unavailable" is what you might see.
    Hi, thanks for your reply, yes, it is still installed, should i try uninstalling and re-installing?
    - Vu+ Duo 2 1 x DVB-S/S2 Twin Tuner, 1 x DVB-C/T/2 Twin Hybrid Tuner, 1TB Internal HDD; Vu+ Official Qwerty remote, w/ OpenVix 4.2 & Slyk1HD V5.1 Skin by kiddac
    - Technomate 97cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Octo 8 way LNB
    - Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Smart TV Box w/ Kodi v16.1 Jarvis custom flashed for EXMP fully loaded

FULL Picon Sets for LCD Screens and GUI - SNP includes 28.2e Satellite, Virmin Cable, 13, 23 & 19 Sat & IPTV {click here}

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This is what comes up:

1_0_1_23FC_7F9_2_11A0000_0_0_0 (1).jpg1_0_1_23FC_7F9_2_11A0000_0_0_0.jpg

Im not sure why but on the above screenshot of mount manager i have 2 options for my external 3tb hdd, there is no partition on it as i have checked it in disk utility on my macbook; it lets me mount the 1st one and is 206 or so mb and has a list of files in it that i do not recognise :

1_0_1_23FC_7F9_2_11A0000_0_0_0 (2).jpg

anyway it wont let me mount the main hard drive where all my movies are stored.

it's like there's been a ghost that has changed some settings somewhere because as I said, it has been working over the last week or so and I have been able to playback the video files on it to my Vu box, but now it will not let me access or mount the drive.

I checked that I still had exfat driver installed from the plugins menu, it is, I uninstalled it, then restarted my box, I then re-downloaded it, and inserted the drive, but its the same result!!

pulling my hair out over this any help is appreciated.

many thanks.
    - Vu+ Duo 2 1 x DVB-S/S2 Twin Tuner, 1 x DVB-C/T/2 Twin Hybrid Tuner, 1TB Internal HDD; Vu+ Official Qwerty remote, w/ OpenVix 4.2 & Slyk1HD V5.1 Skin by kiddac
    - Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Smart TV Box w/ Kodi v16.1 Jarvis custom flashed for EXMP fully loaded

FULL Picon Sets for LCD Screens and GUI - SNP includes 28.2e Satellite, Virmin Cable, 13, 23 & 19 Sat & IPTV {click here}

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Sorry, I can't be any more help - I used a usb exfat drive a couple of days ago, but I wasn't confident enough to mount it "as required", so took an image backup, got it working ok to copy some files and then undid everything by reflashing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

grantdavey91 (14-07-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Sorry, I can't be any more help - I used a usb exfat drive a couple of days ago, but I wasn't confident enough to mount it "as required", so took an image backup, got it working ok to copy some files and then undid everything by reflashing.
    ok, not to worry, i've been racking my brain about it but i don't want to mess about with the box too much as i may risk breaking something else, i think i may just have to transfer everything from my ext hdd to another location so that i can then plug it back in and initialise it in the hope that it will work and mount itself; although i will need to unplug it again after initialisation to transfer all my movie files back on to it

it will be time consuming i suppose, but its the only other option i can think of, i just really hope it works !!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Login to the box (telnet) and run these commands:

Code:
    mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    and report the output here.

The first one is just to create a directory for the test mount and the last one is just in case it needs to be told about the file-system type (which it shouldn't, but that might be the issue).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Login to the box (telnet) and run these commands:

Code:
    mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    and report the output here.

The first one is just to create a directory for the test mount and the last one is just in case it needs to be told about the file-system type (which it shouldn't, but that might be the issue).
    hi thanks for your help and reply...here is the result by typing the above :

vuduo2 login: root
    Password:
    root@vuduo2:~# mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
    root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/dsb2 /mnt/tmp
    FUSE exfat 1.1.0
    ERROR: failed to open '/dev/dsb2': No such file or directory.
    mount: mounting /dev/dsb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such file or directory
    root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    FUSE exfat 1.1.0
    root@vuduo2:~# mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    FUSE exfat 1.1.0
    WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.
    fuse: mountpoint is not empty
    fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
    mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such device
    root@vuduo2:~#

Title
    Thanks
    your mount command is wrong?
    mount /dev/sdb2
    You have got /mount/dsb2 ???

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    ... but he did correct it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
    your mount command is wrong?
    mount /dev/sdb2
    You have got /mount/dsb2 ???
    yes, sorry i mis typed the command first off, but underneath i did retype it.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grantdavey91 View Post
    root@vuduo2:~# mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
    root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    FUSE exfat 1.1.0
    So it was happy to mount the file system - and recognized it as exfat.

root@vuduo2:~# mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
    FUSE exfat 1.1.0
    WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.
    fuse: mountpoint is not empty
    fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
    mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such device
    root@vuduo2:~#
    That failed because /mnt/tmp already had a file system mounted on it. I'd meant to say only run this if the previous mount failed.

Anyway - this shows that the disk can be seen and that the OS is happy to mount it on the command line, so the problem now is to discover why it isn't happening via the Vix menus
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    I've just tested on my own box with an exfat partition.
    It wasn't recognized at first, but then I remembered I didn't have I didn't have enigma2-plugin-drivers-exfat installed, so I installed that. Still not recognized.
    So I then rebooted the box and all is now fine. The file-system is automatically mounted as /media/cf (it happens to be an old CompactFlash card I had lying around - actually an IBM microdrive...).

Do you leave your box permanently running? if so, try rebooting it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I've just tested on my own box with an exfat partition.
    It wasn't recognized at first, but then I remembered I didn't have I didn't have enigma2-plugin-drivers-exfat installed, so I installed that. Still not recognized.
    So I then rebooted the box and all is now fine. The file-system is automatically mounted as /media/cf (it happens to be an old CompactFlash card I had lying around - actually an IBM microdrive...).

Do you leave your box permanently running? if so, try rebooting it.
    thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I'm not sure how I did it, but it seems to be re-mounted all by itself!!?

The only thing I have done is updated my skin, I was using 'Slyk1' skin and last night I updated to V4 Slyk and its now re-mounted itself and can now access it like before!

Thank you for your help