Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ofgwrite

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    from i can tell he is not reformating the root partition.
    He doesn't have too. He just needs to get it out of use - which is possible.
    (Although a reformat would be the simplest and quickest way to delete all current files on it.)

I've remembered what makes Linux boot this way. If your kernel needs a loadable module in order to boot (e.g. your root partition was on a SCSI disk and you had the SCSI code as loadable modules) then it had to boot up with a copy of those modules in an initramfs. That initramfs was the root disk at the start of boot up. After the kernel was running the real root partition was mounted (as something else) and then the initramfs root and the final root mount points were "swivelled". The initramfs was then shut down and the memory freed up.
    I'm not saying this is what ofgwrite is doing - just that it is all possible with existing functionality.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    let me clarify this issue, OpenViX will sorry to say NEVER support live flashing of the Solo4K, here's why.

the Solo4K uses a EXT4 filesystem and as such it is not possible to FLASH a mounted ext4 filesystem, unlike other boxes that use a block type filesystem. The OFGWRITE tool IMO is wrong to even attempt this for the Solo4k, here why i think so and why openvix will not support this tool for the Solo4k.

firstly is does not perform a reflash, it is simply mounting the image file and then copying the files from the image overwriting the files in the flash, think of this way, it is like trying to reinstall windows over itself whilst windows is running.

IMO this could lead to all sorts of issues, as system libraries are still being accessed, the flash has not been cleaned. This could lead to bad blocks as the the filesystem is being overwrote whilst it is still being used.

So i am sorry to say OpenVix will never support live flashing of the Solo4k, whilst it uses a ext4 filesystem.

OpenViX will NOT take any chance that this tool 'could' cause harm to any users Solo4K boxes, so this is why we have taken this action.

Again we are sorry but we will NOT reconsider this at all.
    as much as I would like this feature on my 4k, its not that much of an issue for me.

I didn't even know it could be done, in all the years I had my original vu+ duo. I always flashed via usb, and only found out about this feature when I got the 4k lol

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It isn't that much of a problem at the moment, but What if after a bit of wear some boxes start to not recognise USB sticks like many VU+ boxes before.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    It isn't that much of a problem at the moment, but What if after a bit of wear some boxes start to not recognise USB sticks like many VU+ boxes before.
    Such as? Only time I've found sticks not being recognised are the following scenarios:

A) not formatted correctly.
    B) incorrect file structure.
    C) cheap poor quality/clone usb sticks.
    D) larger than 8gb, some boxes don't like anything larger than 8gb.
    E) other usb devices connected at the same time.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12