Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing HDD into ET8000

Title
    Thanks

Installing HDD into ET8000

Totally new to all this but looking to buy an ET8000 & already have a spare 500GB Sata drive so was wondering how easy it was to install it?

I'm assuming the ET8000 has a spare power cable & Sata cable. Is there a slot for 3.5" HDD?

What formatting would I need to do & will I need to install multiple partitions. Is the formatting done with HDD in pc or in ET8000?

I can generally find my way round the inside of a windows pc but no experience of linux whatsoever so any assistance or a location of a guide would be much appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    The box comes with an internal cradle and relevant wiring. when I used mine, I formatted it windows first, then fit to box. there is a guide on here for first time setup's that has the relevant info for initialising and filesystem settings for the HDD. its super easy, and shouldn't take more than 20 mins to fit, and 10 mins to set up. Good luck !!!

Title
    Thanks
    I have the xtrend et8000 as of last week....very fast box you wont regret it. its very easy to setup

just lift off the lid 5 screws it will take a 2.5 or 3.5 inch sata drive all the cables you need are supplied, you even get the screws

I formatted mine as a new partition in my windows PC 640gb 5400rpm....ntfs file system

when installed goto menu...setup....system....storage devices you can mount it and initialise it

done

regards

blue

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Gents,

That sounds very straightforward. I'll go looking for the guide as well.

Title
    Thanks
    There no need to format it or partition it in windows before hand as initializing the disk on the box will create a ext4 partition

Title
    Thanks
    I seem to be having an issue with the HDD.
    When I go to menu...setup....system....storage devices the only device I can see is the usb stick.

The HDD is a 500gb seagate out of a sky box, I've partitioned it & set it to fat 32 with the pc prior to fitting it.
    Do I need to do anything else or should I be able to see it in storage devices?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    (sorry to jump on paul1098 - hope your HD issue gets sorted)

My ET8000 arriving tomorrow, I have a couple of 1TB HD's at home and plan to fit one of them over the weekend. I don't have any way of 'formatting' the drives, and have no idea what's on there (I don't care). Can i just install the box and format it through the ET8000 or will I need to somehow format it before I fit???

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdbm View Post
    (sorry to jump on paul1098 - hope your HD issue gets sorted)

My ET8000 arriving tomorrow, I have a couple of 1TB HD's at home and plan to fit one of them over the weekend. I don't have any way of 'formatting' the drives, and have no idea what's on there (I don't care). Can i just install the box and format it through the ET8000 or will I need to somehow format it before I fit???
    See post 5
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Having done a bit of a search is it likely that my HDD is wanting to pull too much power & hence not spinning up which is the reason it doesn't display in the mount section?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    See post 5
    ok thanks, but what if there is say 900Gb of data on the disk, will it just create a new 100Gb partition?? This is the question! I doubt there is, but i am not sure!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1098 View Post
    I seem to be having an issue with the HDD.
    When I go to menu...setup....system....storage devices the only device I can see is the usb stick.

The HDD is a 500gb seagate out of a sky box, I've partitioned it & set it to fat 32 with the pc prior to fitting it.
    Do I need to do anything else or should I be able to see it in storage devices?
    I would plug into a windows pc and go into admin tools and format ntfs that's what I did with mine and it showed up straight away

good luck

blue

Title
    Thanks
    I'll give that a go & see if it makes a difference.

Hopefully it's nothing more than that.
    I got the impression from #5 that the formatting didn't matter.

Title
    Thanks
    Its nothing to do with formatting or partitioning the drive!

Can you hear the drive spin up when you power the receiver on? If not is the drive ok? Have you checked the connections on the motherboard to the drive in the STB?

Do you have another drive you can plug in does it spin up? I doubt the drive is drawing too much power I have a 2tb in my ET10000 and it works fine.

To the other people jumping on the thread initializing the drive on the STB will wipe all data and all partitions on the drive regardless of what is on the disk. I would recommend you start your own thread if you are still having issues as its not really fair to jump on this thread.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dwarf For This Useful Post:

bsdbm (14-01-16),ColinB (31-01-16),paul1098 (14-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I never noticed the drive starting up so very likely it's not working in stb.

I had the drive working in a pc just prior to installing into the stb so drive should be OK.

I'll pull the cover off & check connections & HDD. Hopefully I've not got them wrong as it seemed fairly straightforward although it was late when I did it.

Title
    Thanks
    If your in openvix and push the blue button and choose vix and check your mount settings to see if the HDD is being detected at all and being mounted wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast