Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting signal with cat5 splitter to 2 TVs

Title
    Thanks
    Is the Duo connected to the Internet ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    When you typed ifconfig into your PC you saw your network address and subnet mask 10.42.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively. Where did you get that address from ? Is that PC connected to the Internet ?

Title
    Thanks
    What do you see when you type arp -a into your PC ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    10.42.0..... is the wired adderss to the VU+ box, as determined by the box when it sets up its network connections
    This is relevant whether the PC happens to be connected to the internet or not

arp-a outputs : hi.link (192.168.1.1) at 00:0d:8............... , which is my Huawei broadband dongle which seperatly connects to the internet

I think I have just grasped something fundamental. I will go and experiment now

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Human 19 View Post
    I am not looking to include an internet connection in this setup. Just split the TV stream.

Edit: So I just ran the network setup again on the vu+ with dhcp enabled, while it was only connected to the linux PC, and while the PC was not connected to the internet.
    This throws up a few scenarios.

• Do you actually have an Internet connexion (I assume so, as you are posting here form somewhere)?
    • Are you disconnecting your PC from the Internet connexion in order to connect it to the VU+?
    • Or are you using two interfaces on the PC, one for the Internet and one for the VU+?

Basically, you seem to be making life difficult for yourself and you'd get better advice if you gave an explanation of the whole set-up, rather than dribbling in information a bit at a time.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (10-01-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    What you're wanting to do sounds fine though.
    A PC set up to share network connection.
    A switch serving boxes that connection.
    Just sounds like you're confused on IP addresses to use?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (11-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    10.42.0..... is the wired adderss to the VU+ box, as determined by the box when it sets up its network connections
    This is relevant whether the PC happens to be connected to the internet or not

arp-a outputs : hi.link (192.168.1.1) at 00:0d:8............... , which is my Huawei broadband dongle which seperatly connects to the internet

I think I have just grasped something fundamental. I will go and experiment now
    Birdman does make an important point. Without more detailed information it is very difficult fit anyone to be of much use to you. The one thing that appears to be clear is you have two different networks as indicated by the addresses you have supplied so your devices will never see each other. I feel including a router into your scenario will probably achieve your desired end result..

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sorry for wading in and maybe its not clear to UK users, in Ireland some people use sim dongles because of the possible lack of broadband infrastructure and pricing, if he hasn't overcome this problem with assigning ip addresses he could just get a sim router (mentioned in the above post) which would overcome any problems with the dongle as I don't think it can assign ip addresses.(not familiar with sim dongles)
    Just trying to be helpful in the thread
    Last edited by Grenadekid; 10-01-16 at 19:27.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grenadekid For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (11-01-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I do have an internet connection but am trying to leave it out of this equation, as I am just trying to find a way split the tv stream between a linux box and a another device. I am only mentioning the internet in response to others who bring it up. I have no problem attaching the vu+ or other devices to the internet if required.

Setup: for some years I have directly connected a linux box upstairs to the vu+ duo, now duo2, downstairs with a cat5 cable. The wired network connection on the linux box is set to "shared with other computers" . I then ran the network setup on the vu+ which always gave an IP address of 10.42.0.*** with a gateway of 10.42.0.1. So I enter the Ip address of the VU+ into the browser and can stream live TV

Now I wanted to buy a raspberry pi to put in the kitchen and also connect this to the VU+ with a 2nd cat5 cable, so I can also stream live TV, as I do upstairs. This means I need to split the signal from the VU+ so I can connect to it either upstairs or in the kitchen.

I tried the cheapest option, a cat5 spliter connected into the back of the VU+ with 2 cat 5 cables coming out of it, which didnt work.
    I was informed on this thread that I should buy an unmanaged switch, which I did.
    I have connected this into the back of the VU+ with 2 cat 5 cables coming out of it.
    One cable remains connected to the linux box upstairs, the other to either the raspi, or a laptop, for testing

Due to connection issues with the raspi, I decided to replace it tonight, connecting to my laptop with Debian. So at the moment the vu+ is connected, via the switch, to the linux box upstairs and the laptop downstairs with cat5 cables.

The same issue occurs when the vu+ is connected to both devices at the same time, even if only 1device is streaming TV from the vu+ at the time... the stream stops after about 10secs.

I am now thinking that all these are being connected "backwards". Both the linux box and the laptop are connecting using the gateway 10.42.0.1 and that this is causing the problem when both devices try to use this gateway at the same time to communicate. After about 10secs of the 1st device starting to stream, the 2nd device communicates to the vu+ using 10.42.0.1, causing the stream on the 1st device to stop. Would something like that be correct?

Would any of the "apps" in the vix Network menu be the correct on to use to set up this network and allow uninterrupted streaming?
    Last edited by Human 19; 10-01-16 at 21:52. Reason: ip address typo

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You do not need a WAN (connected to the internet), you need a LAN.

What are you using to manage the IP addreses of your devices within your Local Area Network?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (11-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I do have an internet connection but am trying to leave it out of this equation
    Which is not a good idea.
    as I am just trying to find a way split the tv stream between a linux box and a another device.
    You don't want to split anything. You want to get all of the systems onto the same network (and this means that their IP addresses are in the same network, not that they are connected to the same wires).
    I am only mentioning the internet in response to others who bring it up. I have no problem attaching the vu+ or other devices to the internet if required.
    If that is the case, then if you say how you do this it will give a better picture of your set-up and allow others to provide solutions to your problem(s).

Setup: for some years I have directly connected a linux box upstairs to the vu+ duo, now duo2, downstairs with a cat5 cable. The wired network connection on the linux box is set to "shared with other computers" .
    Whnat wired connexion? Is this the same connexion that you use to connect to the Internet (somehow)?

I then ran the network setup on the vu+ which always gave an IP address of 10.42.0.*** with a gateway of 10.42.0.1. So I enter the Ip address of the VU+ into the browser and can stream live TV

Now I wanted to buy a raspberry pi to put in the kitchen and also connect this to the VU+ with a 2nd cat5 cable, so I can also stream live TV, as I do upstairs. This means I need to split the signal from the VU+ so I can connect to it either upstairs or in the kitchen.
    As I say, you aren't going to be splitting anything. You will have separate streams for the RasPi and LinuxPC.

One cable remains connected to the linux box upstairs, the other to either the raspi, or a laptop, for testing
    Which is fine, but you need to configure all three systems with different IP address on the same IP network.

I am now thinking that all these are being connected "backwards". Both the linux box and the laptop are connecting using the gateway 10.42.0.1
    You don't have a gateway system (or if you do, you shouldn't). You have 3 isolated systems. A gateway would be a means of getting to some others systems (such as the Internet, which you say you don't want to do).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (11-01-16),mrmad1966 (16-01-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    thanks for the comprehensive response, Birdman

[QUOTE=birdman;388170]
    Which is not a good idea.
    I connect the vu+ to the internet as required either via a broadband dongle connected to the Linux box (to which the vu+ is connected via cat5) , or else wirelessly direct to the VU+ Duo 2 using wifi hotspot transmitter. I don't have a wired internet connection into the house.

You don't want to split anything. You want to get all of the systems onto the same network (and this means that their IP addresses are in the same network, not that they are connected to the same wires).
    Ok, that explains why the current setup is not working. So I need to find out the best way to do that

If that is the case, then if you say how you do this it will give a better picture of your set-up and allow others to provide solutions to your problem(s).
    As above

Whnat wired connexion? Is this the same connexion that you use to connect to the Internet (somehow)?
    Yes, it is the same cat5 connection between the Vu+ and the Linux box, which can be further connected to the internet if required using the broadband dongle plugged into the Linux box, or else wirelessly using the wifi hotspot transmitter

As I say, you aren't going to be splitting anything. You will have separate streams for the RasPi and LinuxPC.
    Which is fine, but you need to configure all three systems with different IP address on the same IP network.
    Grand. Duly noted.So I just need to find out how to set up this system.

You don't have a gateway system (or if you do, you shouldn't). You have 3 isolated systems. A gateway would be a means of getting to some others systems (such as the Internet, which you say you don't want to do).
    Duly noted

Title
    Thanks
    isn't the linux pc working as a kind of router if the connection is setup as "shared with other computers"? in that case vu+ and raspi would get ip adresses via dhcp. and thru a network switch linux pc and raspi would be able to get streams from the vu+. (linux pc must be running though, when raspi is streaming)
    no?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    isn't the linux pc working as a kind of router if the connection is setup as "shared with other computers"?
    Probably.
    in that case vu+ and raspi would get ip adresses via dhcp.
    Only if there is a DHCP server running....
    If he is content for the LinuxPC to have to be up for the Vu+ to be able to reach the internet then yes, the LinuxPC can run as a router (between the internal Ethernet network and the external dongle).
    However - I'm a little worried/confused as there is now mention of "using the wifi hotspot transmitter". What Wifi hotspot??

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    However - I'm a little worried/confused as there is now mention of "using the wifi hotspot transmitter". What Wifi hotspot??
    I have a mobile broadband dongle and a wifi hotspot. I just tansfer the sim card between them depending on where I am around the house. It's not a big deal

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-...bile-wifi-r209

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast