Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is best ET8000 or ET9500?

Title
    Thanks

Which is best ET8000 or ET9500?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and in need of some advice as I will be placing an order with WOS in the next day or so but before I do I just wanted so guidance if you wouldn't mind.

I have been used to a Sky+HD box for the last few years and like the smoothness of its functions so with this in mind can anyone give me their thoughts on which box would be best for a similar style of performance? The ET8000 or ET9500?.

Which ever box I get I will be also getting WOS to add a 500GB Hard Drive so that I can store my EPG and any ripped dvd's etc.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie

Jason

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    ET8000, option for an extra tuner and much faster processor. Well worth the extra £.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (31-12-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Absolutely the ET8000 .... The higher number does not mean newer/better
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

jbeer (31-12-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys, I was having the same thought and am in the same situation as jbeer, so happy i stumbled across this thread. The slow processor on the 9500 was concerning me, and was also confused by the model numbers thing as usually higher does mean better/newer in my world LOL!

How easy is it to add a HD to these yourself? I have a couple of 3.5" 1TB drives at home, and was considering buying one of these boxes and adding the drive. Would this invalidate warranty? Is there anything more that i need than just a drive itself to add (any cabling etc)? Thx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bsdbm For This Useful Post:

degs367 (10-01-16)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Easy to install, come with everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bsdbm (31-12-15),jbeer (31-12-15)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have also just read that the drive will need to be initialized / formatted - is this easy to do through OpenVix or does it have to be done before the drive is added? I have a VU+ zero at the moment, which is running OpenVix and considering the upgrade to the ET8000 as it seems superior in price and features to another superior VU+ model.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes it is simple to initialise through the menu/setup/sysetm/storage devices/initialisation
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    yes just initialize it from the storage menu
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Thanks
    I have set up 4 of these box's in the last 2 week,. they are very easy. thee is a very good and comprehensive guide in the forum on how to set them up. you will have no problems at all. id say they were probably the most user friendly to get up and running using open vix you wont be dissatisfied.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ford1 For This Useful Post:

Gollie (09-02-16),jbeer (31-12-15)

Title
    Thanks
    This is all brilliant advice and glad I asked the question ET8000 will be ordered…thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    No enigma2 box will ever be as easy to use or as user friendly as a dedicated receiver from the service provider, so if that's what you really want you will be massively disappointed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing enigma2 based receivers as I have been using them my self for years and once setup properly ( they do require a fair amount of setup and maintenance) they are pretty much bomb proof. But they can not be compared to a receiver offered by the service provider as they spend millions on user experience where as enigma2 is pretty much all user generated and the user experience can fluctuate wildly from receiver to receiver and depends massively on the skin and plugins you install.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    No that's great thanks Larry is fully understand that…I have seen E2 and OpenVix on a friends box so I have seen the user interface and appreciate that there are a lot of individual set up configurations that can be done, what I was primarily looking for is a box that is bullet proof to a certain degree with a good processor therefore having reduced lag and good performance.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    No enigma2 box will ever be as easy to use or as user friendly as a dedicated receiver from the service provider, so if that's what you really want you will be massively disappointed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing enigma2 based receivers as I have been using them my self for years and once setup properly ( they do require a fair amount of setup and maintenance) they are pretty much bomb proof. But they can not be compared to a receiver offered by the service provider as they spend millions on user experience where as enigma2 is pretty much all user generated and the user experience can fluctuate wildly from receiver to receiver and depends massively on the skin and plugins you install.
    Cannot agree Larry ... Have been a Sky user since analog days .... And its not been a great experience with their firmware, inability for years to be able to record series correctly and other issues .... Its only now because they try to lock you in to other "wonderful services" that they spent the money to improve the basic offering to where it is today.
    At least (within reason) if I want a change in Enigma2 either I can find it as a plugin or can add it to my own builds .... Cannot do that with Sky ... You take what they give you

Ref the ET8000 .... Its the best Xtrend box since the 9200 ... Except of course the ET8500 ... But that is not a typical looking receiver and therefore not everyones cup of tea
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Clabs (31-12-15),Sicilian (31-12-15)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Cannot agree Larry ... Have been a Sky user since analog days .... And its not been a great experience with their firmware, inability for years to be able to record series correctly and other issues .... Its only now because they try to lock you in to other "wonderful services" that they spent the money to improve the basic offering to where it is today.
    At least (within reason) if I want a change in Enigma2 either I can find it as a plugin or can add it to my own builds .... Cannot do that with Sky ... You take what they give you

Ref the ET8000 .... Its the best Xtrend box since the 9200 ... Except of course the ET8500 ... But that is not a typical looking receiver and therefore not everyones cup of tea
    I have and still do use a sky receiver along side a e2 box and no you simply can not compare them. For simple plug and play rite out of the box sky's own box wins hands down every single time, the only ones who will say otherwise are those trying to sell you something. Yes in my opinion e2 beats sky's own box in almost every single way but e2 is not and will never be as user friendly or plug and play as a sky box and that's just a fact.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    you all want to try a Virgin TiVo box it's the worst pile of crap on the planet and the remote wants sending in to deep space i mainly bought a Harmony 650 because the TiVo remote is so bad
    i love my E2 receivers and could never go back to a Sky Box i have 2 gathering dust in the spare bedroom

nearly forgot what i intended to say lol the ET8000 is a very good receiver with a fast processor and it will serve you well for years,i have the ET10k and its one of the best receivers their is
    Last edited by nsw9154; 31-12-15 at 19:46.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsw9154 For This Useful Post:

jbeer (31-12-15)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast