Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Menus remotely accessed

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Because since then we've learned that user/pass gives no (or hardly any) added value. And also since then a second 'security' has been added (authenticate HTTP-streams).

Only VPN or SSH will give you security.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

mickfarr
    I don't see how adding a password would not give any added value? Yes its not the most secure but I would have thought any scanners would be checking/testing for any systems that either had no password set or used the default password?

I would say the vast majority of users have not changed their passwords or even set one up. I would also think that the percentage of users who have even tried to setup a VPN is less than 0.001% Yes that small!

So I can't imagine that hackers are even going to bother trying to hack a box that does have a password setup?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It's completely up to you.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    It's completely up to you.
    I mean: believe what you want to believe: it's your box, your network, your security and your bank account. If you're happy sleeper with the door ajar, it's fine with me.
    But never say you haven't been warned about the risk of a break in.

But also remeber that your STB is a Linux PC, with root-access rights to every one who comes in. And from there your whole network can be reached.

mickfarr
    I mean: believe what you want to believe: it's your box, your network, your security and your bank account. If you're happy sleeper with the door ajar, it's fine with me.
    But never say you haven't been warned about the risk of a break in.

But also remeber that your STB is a Linux PC, with root-access rights to every one who comes in. And from there your whole network can be reached.
    That's not answered my question? You can apply your answer to any point of entry to your network not just a satellite box. There's a million different ways a hacker can try to access your system, there's millions of unsecured systems out there.

Your advice seems to be don't bother with a password because??? I'd like to know if you can answer my question?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Simply put Enigma2 was never designed with any meaningful security measure in mind and the ports that these "hackers" (and I use that term very loosely) are scanning for are not even secured by the default security measures aka the username and password you set to secure things like the OpenWebIF, Telnet and FTP.

You can set a password and username and we indeed recomend you do this but if you decide to open ports or setup port forwarding for such things as streaming your channels over the internet you can expect to be hacked sooner or later (likely sooner) unless you secure your network / receiver with SSH and VPN at a minimum.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickfarr View Post
    So I can't imagine that hackers are even going to bother trying to hack a box that does have a password setup?
    They dont have to hack past the password, the password provides almost no added security over not having one, although I still recomend setting one. as has been stated numerous times. E2 was designed at a time when security was not a real consideration and to add such security now would require E2 to be pretty much re-written from the ground up and that's simply never going to happen.

If you connect your receiver to the internet and open ports to stream channels remotely or leave it so you can remotely access the receiver for maintenance purposes you must setup adequate security above and beyond the default username and password, because any one who is looking to get into your receiver can and will just walk strait past those default security measures.

Believe me its not hard to bypass a default username and password on a E2 based receiver and there have been dozens of users post on this forum alone after their box has been hacked in this exactly this way.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There have been plenty of reports showing that breaking into a (password protected or not) STB happens quite a lot. The (possible) target seems to be interesting enough, as I tried to explain.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

mickfarr
    Very interesting, anyway rather than coming back next week to say "I think my box is being accessed remotely" I'll set up a VPN on my router

Thanks Larry-G and Rob Van Der Does for the explanation.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickfarr View Post
    Very interesting, anyway rather than coming back next week to say "I think my box is being accessed remotely" I'll set up a VPN on my router

Thanks Larry-G and Rob Van Der Does for the explanation.
    Happy to help.

I cant stress enough how important it is to secure your receiver properly if you intend to access it remotely. No scaremongering here but your receiver will be a active target for others to gain access and it is happening more and more frequently these days as hundreds and thousands of new users to E2, lazily setup boxes so they can watch channels remotely with no knowledge or consideration for the security implications.

SIMPLES.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys so im with VM with my superhub for my Broadband now this does not support VPN so how would/could i go about adding this

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Shame on them!
    Any chance for using your own router, or to install alternative firmware on theirs?
    Sometimes an ISP-provided modem/router can be set in bridge mode (using only the modem functionality) so you can use a good private router.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper1974 View Post
    Hi guys so im with VM with my superhub for my Broadband now this does not support VPN so how would/could i go about adding this
    Set your superhub to modem only mode and invest in a router that is VPN compatible.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Shame on them!
    Any chance for using your own router, or to install alternative firmware on theirs?
    Sometimes an ISP-provided modem/router can be set in bridge mode (using only the modem functionality) so you can use a good private router.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Set your superhub to modem only mode and invest in a router that is VPN compatible.

Thanks guys have now purchased and setup a router which supports VPN and just had to connect it to the VM superhub2 and switch that to modem mode like you stated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast