Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I Stream movies stored on apple Time Capsule or Mac

Title
    Thanks
    I had a problem with my username having a space in it.
    I think Judge's suggestion on using NFS would be better, from what I can tell you just need to create a file called /etc/exports on OSX with the share information, I'll have a play this weekend.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ive managed to mount my mac using NFS share no problem. Still getting the error message though
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    What do you class as 'no problem'?

You can add a mount from the network browser and it will give it a green tick but it doesn't actually try to mount it until you access it from the location menu, then if it fails to mount for any reason you get the error you are getting. The steps I gave in my post with the picture all need doing, if you skip one it will fail to mount.

The NFS shares (i think) show as a blue container in the network browser, so if you tried to mount a green one (CIFS) and just changed Mount Type, you will get the green tick but when you try and use it you'll get the error above.

Title
    Thanks
    Just set it up using NFS and it's a lot easier, don't need to bother with username/passwords.
    You can follow the instructions here
    Code:
    http://www.behanna.org/osx/nfs/howto1.html
    just the first section, assuming you're using Snow Leopard or later.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers mate. Will try it later when I get back from work.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArowonA View Post
    What do you class as 'no problem'?

You can add a mount from the network browser and it will give it a green tick but it doesn't actually try to mount it until you access it from the location menu, then if it fails to mount for any reason you get the error you are getting. The steps I gave in my post with the picture all need doing, if you skip one it will fail to mount.

The NFS shares (i think) show as a blue container in the network browser, so if you tried to mount a green one (CIFS) and just changed Mount Type, you will get the green tick but when you try and use it you'll get the error above.
    What I meant is I have setup the mounts no problem and got the green ticks for both NFS and CIFS and both containers lit blue and green.
    Anyway Ive tried using the terminal commands from the link you posted but they are giving me error messages.
    Thanks for keep trying to help.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm sure someone will know the answer to this. I'll keep trying.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    I'm happy to continue trying to help but you have to understand how unhelpful posting something like this is

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    Anyway Ive tried using the terminal commands from the link you posted but they are giving me error messages.
    Thanks for keep trying to help.
    I then need to ask which commands gave errors, what errors you got, etc... Help me help you

I will try and make setting NFS as simple as possible.

The following instructions assume your mac has an IP address of 192.168.3.2, and you want to share the /Users folder - please change as appropriate, also realise that setting NFS up this way is not really secure as anyone on your local network would be able to access you mac shares (I assume you trust the people using your network, you could also change it so it only allows access from the IP address of your box but I won't confuse things anymore)

On the mac

in a terminal windows run (the first command will require you to enter your password, change 192.168.3.0 to your local network range)
    Code:
    sudo nfsd disable
    sudo sh -c  "echo '/Users -network 192.168.3.0 -mask 255.255.255.0 -maproot=root' > /etc/exports"
    sudo nfsd enable
    This will create the share and start NFS, for some reason I can't get the network browse option to show the share so you need to configure it manualy... so

On your STB

Go to Menu / Setup / System / Network / Mount Setup / Mount Manager / Add new network mount point
    And create using the following settings
    Code:
    Mount using: AUTOFS
    Active: Enable
    Local share name: Users (can be anything you want)
    Mount type: NFS share
    Server IP: 192.168.3.2 (Change to your mac's IP address)
    Server share: Users 
    Use as HDD replacement: no
    Mount options rw,nolock,tcp
    Save and away you go...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ArowonA

I didn't mean it to be an unhelpful comment. I was just a bit weary that day.

Anyway. Thanks for this info. I'm going to give another go and will get back to you.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Followed the instructions to the letter.(Changed ip range and folder to reflect mine)
    Still get that dammed error message "Directory/media/autofs/mac/does not exist"

Arghhhhhhhhhh
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Well that's a pisser, on the mac can you try running
    Code:
    showmount -e
    to see if you get your nfs share listed.
    If it returns nothing could you paste the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/exports
    I can try my instructions on another mac/network and cleanly flashed box tomorrow to see if I've missed something.

Title
    Thanks
    I tried my instructions on another Mac and with a different box and it worked fine, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12