Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB storage dilemna

Title
    Thanks

USB storage dilemna

I am having a bit of a mare getting this receiver to recognise and play video files(MP4)
    It recognises and plays video files copied on my Lexar 32GB flash drive no problem, but I get error message "no playable files found " with any other make i.e Sandisk, Kingston etc..
    I have cleaned and formatted 3 seperate USB drives to fat 32 on my pc before copying files(same files as on Lexar) to drives but nano wont recognise any of them.
    Drives are recognised when I check "storage devices" in receiver menu so have have come to a dead end on what to try next!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    When in the movielist, press yellow for location & select the USB stick.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi judge, thanks for reply but how do I access movielist if I can't drive contents?

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry about typo, I meant to write "can't access drive contents"

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, for those of you that may be interested( which doesn't seem to be many by lack of response I somehow have found a strange solution to problem.
    I did a short live tv recording to one of the usb drives that showed" no displayable files" error message, took out and re-inserted drive and low and behold receiver picked up just recorded file and also all other video files on drive
    I did the same procedurewith a couple more different make of usb drives that receiver would not recognise and they are all now working ok. Not sure if it's a vix image( I am on 153 build)or a Technomate problem as I have only had receiver for a couple of weeks and came with image pre-installed.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    usb are they setup to ext3-4 and show mounted,i was having issues with recordings but it turned out epg was going to harddrive and 1 recording went to usb and would not play stuttered.using a 1tb toshiba external powered,had to change network mounts as it showed usb got switched,reset them and all good.

might be a driver issue but if you want to record externall powered mounted one is best.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Cactikid, reading your post I am thinking that perhaps my usb slots are probably not setup correctly.
    One is set to media hdd which I use to back up vix image and settings on a usb drive that is permanently connected to receiver and other to media usb which was the one giving me problems.
    What is option ext 3and 4? I have seen it in menu options, but vix manual doesn't give any instructions on this so have left it alone( this is my first linux box so am being a bit careful)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ok both my usb for epg and external hdd are setup to ext3-4 like in mount manager you see both external hdd and usb setup and what it should say on this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    ok both my usb for epg and external hdd are setup to ext3-4 like in mount manager you see both external hdd and usb setup and what it should say on this
    Hi mate, I appreciate your help and support but you have lost me
    Don't see " choose where to mount your devices" anywhere in vix image menu?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    blue button on remote-vix--mount manager- it scans for devices and should list both usb and hard drive-green button -setup mounts and you should see as above.

Title
    Thanks
    ok, thanks. Appreciate your help, easy when you know

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    somethings you know somethings you dont and have to ask we are all learning

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    ext3, or third extended filesystem, is a journaled file system that is commonly used by the Linux kernel. It is the default file system for many popular Linux distributions. Stephen Tweedie first revealed that he was working on extending ext2 in Journaling the Linux ext2fs Filesystem in a 1998 paper, and later in a February 1999 kernel mailing list posting. The filesystem was merged with the mainline Linux kernel in November 2001 from 2.4.15 onward.[2][3][4] Its main advantage over ext2 is journaling, which improves reliability and eliminates the need to check the file system after an unclean shutdown. Its successor is ext4.

Code:
     http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
    The ext4 or fourth extended filesystem is a journaling file system for Linux, developed as the successor to ext3.

Code:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4
    Basically ext3 and ext4 are the best formats to use with your receiver for recording TV shows and movies. If you use external drives you can use the windows fat32 format but that is limited to 4GB so if your recording goes over this it will be split by the system, for NTFS you need to install a driver or the drive may not be recognised properly.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

cactikid (09-03-15),jtrus (10-03-15),linsladeboy (10-03-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Phoenix,
    Thanks for taking the time to explain, now all starting to make a bit more sense to me

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    A bit dim when it comes to this stuff. I have a usb flash drive into my SE containing my backups, epg, and some recordings. Currently it is in FAT32 format. Would it be more beneficial to format (if I'm correct in my thinking that means initialising it through the box menu) into EXT3 or 4 or should I just leave it as it is? Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast