Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Any benefit to upgrading?

Title
    Thanks

Question Any benefit to upgrading?

My current VU+ Uno is based on the Vix info shown below:

Model:VU+ Uno
    Chipset: BCM7405(with 3d)
    CPU: BCM7413B1
    Cores: 2
    Version: 3.0
    Build: 789
    Kernel: 3.1.1
    Drivers: 2013-11-08
    Last Update: 2013-11-15

Will I gain anything by flashing to the latest image, or should I follow the old rule "if it ain't broke etc..."?

My system was set up by the person who installed my dish, and as I noticed something about flashing to the latest image requires all your settings to be re-done manually, I am really worried about screwing the whole system up. I am running a motorised and fixed dish, and the installer whizzed through the settings and had it all configured in a jiffy. He made it seem so easy, but it was just too fast to follow.

The only thing that is currently bothering me, is that after I installed the latest Catseye settings, every recording I make gets about 10 seconds of no sound at the start, even using timeshift. But is that enough to risk a flash?

It's kinda stupid really, because years ago, I would have just done it, but the *issues* I live with now, makes me very wary of doing this kind of thing these days.

Title
    Thanks
    The official line will be to always update as you have the latest and greatest,

However my advice is to read the update logs and check if there is anything in there you want,

if not then stay as you are.
    I would always choose stability over newer features.

As a relative noob I would suggest you get familiar with doing clean installs as this will occasionally be required. Luckily on the newer boxes and images it's much easier than it used to be.

Title
    Thanks
    If 10 seconds of no audio is all that's bothering you then start the recording 10 seconds earlier

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seame View Post
    If 10 seconds of no audio is all that's bothering you then start the recording 10 seconds earlier
    Hmmm, now let me think, I suddenly want to pause TV, but need to do it 10 seconds before I think of it... that must be an option I've not found yet.

All my scheduled recordings are set with a 3 minute pre-record and a 5 minute extra record. I know I said I was not comfortable with flashing the device, but I'm not that clueless about satellite tech, to start recordings bang on time.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Lmao, made me smile
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me